Anyone Else's Bunny super picky?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flirtycuddle

Reaction score
First Ziggy will only eat Kaytee Timothy hay no matter how many times I have given him other brands or types of hay. If it's not Kaytee he will not touch it.

Ziggy will only eat a few types of veggies such as cilantro, parsley, romaine lettuce, and mustard greens. Give him any other greens and he leaves them in his bowl.

I can only use one certain litter box that I bought thinking was big enough for him since it was ordered online. It is barley big enough for him to sit in but if I change it out he wont touch his hay but for a few strands and will pee outside of the box with poo's all over the house. With this box he chows on his hay, and only pees in the box and most of the poop gets in the box. Only problem is I'm cleaning his box 2x a day at least lol.

He wasn't on the best of pellets when we recieved him so I tried Oxbow only for him to refuse to eat them for days so I found a different pellet with the same company that was better for him and that is the only pellet he will eat now. I know if I wanted to I could change his pellets and he'd eventually change over but when I do something he don't like such as pellets changed he stops using his box.

He now comes up to us for pets and if we ignore those demands he will nudge, nip, then pee next to us.

He will not drink out of a bottle and the dish has to be the one I use now. I tried a self waterer type thing for like cats and he didn't drink all night. Once I put his old dish in he drunk almost the whole dish.

I swear he does this all to just drive me batty lol and see just how far he can push me. Anyone else's bun this picky or did I just get lucky lol.

Have my rexes being hopping over to Indiana without me noticing?!:p Mine are just as bad - especially with pellets. A few months ago I couldnt get to the shop that sell their brand, forcing them to have another one mixed in:shock: (the same nutritionally but made by another company, I checked the ingredients thoroughly).

For three days or so they picked out the original brand, leaving the other one. I was counting the pellets so i knew what was going on. Eventually they resorted to throwing their food dishes across the floor and refusing to eat the pellets.

It's the same with their hay - Roxy will unhook the manger and throw this about should I not provide their favourite nibble. And as for not serving her a treat first.....im not that brave!!!

YAY at least I'm not the only one with a super picky bun lmao. I have so much stuff I have bought for him to use to help give more room in his cage or keep it cleaner or whatever reason that he will not touch. It's all piled in a box in our closet. I donated the extra hay and pellets he wont touch to a breeder here in town since there was no need to let it all go to waist. I was given Ziggy by a lady here in town that wanted to rehome her daughters rabbit so I had no clue what he was like but he's my baby and even though he loves to drive me nuts I wouldn't trade him. All she told me was he liked cilantro, no mention he wont eat basically anything else lmao. To even get him to eat more then the cilantro I had to mix in other items with it one at a time and see what he would eat and wouldn't. I'm just glad he will eat more then cilantro now even if it took a month to do so.

No. haha

There are specific things they will favour and always eat first; banana, kale usually etc.

But no...mine are little piggies that wholf their food down lol. They love food and when they see me and know its dinner time they will run in circles in excitement. You'd think I starve them, but they are both on the upper weight limit for their breeds lol.

Jen

i have to say i am pretty fortunate too when it comes to food for my fluffers. Willow will come running and practically break the sound barrier doing so whenever she hears the fridge opening because she KNOWS that is where her salad is lol. and so far i have not found anything they DIDN'T like, except beet tops, they didn't really like those too well. same withthe pellets, i switched over to the purina green bag from some other brand and they ate em right up.

Ziggy will come running when he sees the food dish or container but if it's not what he wants or thinks he should have he will run away flicking his feet at me.

i got 4 rabbits and all of them LOVE carrots except for one. she will turn her nose up and sit with her back to me while the others can't handle their excitement when they see me coming with carrots lol.

Sophie loves blue berries which she will eat over anything, i can never give her and her husbun a mix of things or else she will just pick out all the blueberries and not eat anything else, so generally i give them their veggies and fruit one at a time through out the evening, kind of prevents them from pigging out lol

the one who hates carrots also lets me know she hates banana, and raspberries and the only thing that makes her excited is strawberries...

our newest addition stomped all over his raspberries i gave him to try for the first time, apparently we will not do that again lol

we are slaves lol

Peaches loves his salad and hubby has taken to giving him a small carrot every day when he gets back from work. He likes to see him run around going nuts cuz he knows he's getting a carrot. However, when I switched him over from Alfalfa based Nutriphase (the one with the orange bits) to Oxbow Timothy he flat out refused to eat the Oxbow, I slowly introduced them to him - he'd get 3/4 old pellets & 1/4 new over about a week. Then half new & half old for a week, then 1/4 old and 3/4 new for a week, then he got all new. In the beginning, he'd always leave the new Oxbow pellets. I'd add the old food & leave the Oxbow in there. After 2 days of leaving the Oxbow there, I'd toss it and give him the same portions but with fresh pellets. Once he got switched to all Oxbow, he ended up eating them all - now he runs circles around me when I open the pellet container and shoves his face in to eat from the pot. I'm feeding our baby bun a few Oxbow pellets too so he'll get used to them before he gets switched over for good in a few months.

He refused new foods in the beginning too, leave them there long enough and he'll eat them - or toss them all over

Back