Anyone else???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
Anyone else having trouble getting Oxbow Basic T? None of the petstores here have it in stock!! They get one or two bags now and then and if I am lucky, I get one... I can't order it online....

Now what do I do?

One of the many reasons that I don't use any Oxbow product. I stopped using their products long ago for various reasons. Since they went to a distributorship program, it appears that it has meant products that are much harder to find and when you do, the "middle man" has inflated the price. There are better quality products available at more reasonable prices and that are easier to find. While I am not a fan of Oxbow at all, there are many that swear by their products....and it's a personal and rabbit choice. But I really think they need to be "brought back down to earth" and realize their new system isn't working.....and it is driving customers to other products thatare least equal and in many cases exceed the quality of their product. And if you are an Oxbow fan, contact them directly and let them know how difficult finding their product is....and I am sure you have endured a tremendous price increase. Let them know that you are looking for alternatives. If the consumers speak long enough, things will change.

Randy

Randy, I am curious to know what is it about Oxbow you don't like and what products you think are better choices. I buy Oxbow because I've seen it recommended consistently but I'd like to know if there's an issue to consider. Thanks in advance!

Krista

Well....I had a major problem with some of their hay a few years ago and I was not at all happy about their response. This problem actually led to some significant charges at the vet. But I know there can always be something with any natural product regardless of the supplier. My problem was much more with their attitude. They were very nice until they found that I knew exactly what I was talking about and then they refused to talk. And I wasn't looking to cause a problem....I was a huge Oxbow fan up to that point and my rabbits were fednothing but Oxbow pellets and hay....we even filled the litter boxes with Oxbow.

And I think even Oxbow diehards will admit their quality has slipped in recent years. And I got several boxes of hay that my rabbits just plain refused to eat.

I do have to give credit to Oxbow....they are a marketing machine and do a very good job at promoting themselves. Ever wonder why vets push Oxbow so hard? It is a tremendous profit center for them. Their recent shift to a distributorship type operation just adds another layer or two of profit taking middle men...the net result, higher prices. When I used Oxbow, I had a 50# box shipped in for just over $50 (about half the cost was hay and half was shipping). Now even with keeping in mind that prices, especially shipping have risen, the last time I even checked on shipping in 50#, the price was over $100. Just checked Dr. Foster and 50# of timothy is going for $60 and orchard grass for $70....and that is before shipping. Now since I pretty much know that this pet supplier probably is paying a bulk pricing of maybe $30 per box...someone is making a killing. So at those prices, it would cost me somewhere around $125 or more to have that hay shipped in. It's been a very long time since I ordered pellets but I would think the price for them has also skyrocketed due to the "middle men" again.

Now I am not saying for Oxbow fans to abandon the product if they are happy with the product even if the prices are tremendously inflated. It is still a good product. But the point is, in today's economy, many of us need to get the most bang for our buck and there are many suppliers that provide products equal to or better then Oxbow for a fraction of the cost. And there is another supplier, and I have used their products and they are top notch, but their prices are ridiculous especially when they also mark up shipping costs.

As far as pellets, they should be such a small part of the diet that it shouldn't matter if they are alfalfa based or timothy....or brand. As long as they are of decent quality. And I have bought hay from local farmers that were as good or better than the major providers....and at a fraction of the cost. I bought some alfalfa hay from a horse person that was the best I have ever seen...for justa few dollars and I could make an easy drive to pick it up. And even better, I was supporting my local farmer and keeping my dollars in my community.

All I am saying....there are options and some very good options. No flaming to Oxbow intended.....just they should realize they have some problems with distribution and price and that there are options available.

Randy

Bo, I went to my pet shop this past weekend and found... Oxbow has changed their packaging. Same colors and logos, but the bag is a flat bag instead of their "pinched side" bags. It still has a zipper top for "freshness". Maybe they are having trouble with their packaging and/or distribution like Randy has described. My pet supply shop carried BBT pellets that had expiration dates from Jun 2011 to August 2011. The June 2011 bags were the old bag type. The new flat bag type is stamped exp. August 2011. Seems to be a month gap in between..?

Not sure if it helps:
I paid $54 for a 50# box in March, in-store, no shipping.
I paid $14.99 for a 10lb BBT bag, in-store, no shipping.

Thanks, Randy. Fortunately I don't have to have my Oxbow shipped since they carry it at a local pet supply store, but it is still expensive. I used to buy hay from a feed store, but the feed store is kind of out of the way.

Regarding the original question: Ask around at pet stores to see if any will order it in for you. A small pet store might be more willing to do this than a large chain store. The pet store I buy from will often order in specific items on request.

I still use the Oxbowhay and order it over the phone from the company itself. The reason I stick with it is that one of my rabbits. Beau, has to eat Critical care as a mainstay of his diet because of his dental and gum issues. andI feel that ifI have to order that all the timeI might as well go with the hay too.
the hay quality changes..last summerI got the most beautiful long stranded green timothy from them and last batch was little pieces that were dusty. ..which is confusing to me

All along my rabbits like it and have not had health issues from it but sometimesI get a little concerned ifI think that they are being exposed to too much dust.

I just got an order today and the hay looks good again.

Ibought 6 1 lb critical cares and 100 lbs of timothy and it runs me close to $300.00

nowI don't let the amount sink in because ifI really processed how muchI spend on my 8 rabbitsI think thatI would :pullhair::tantrum::censored2:

I cannot buy anything at stores here in large quantity and it is cheaper to order from oxbow company itself per phone than from for ex Foster and Smith.

I use the pellets for only one rabbit, Beau (mixed with CC) and use Kaytee timothy pellets for the other 7.

I buy Oxbow 'cause it's one of the few GOOD pellets I can find. I have mine order in from Calgary which is the next Province over from in and it's still cheaper than buying it at Petland in my own city which is the only place that sells it.

In our Petland they want $19.99 for 5lbs of Pellets or I can have them shipped to me for $21.99 - 8% plus shipping. Same with there Orchard Grass hay. I get 2 bags for the price of 1 if I order it in rather than buying it locally and supporting Petland...

Umm...as far as pellets, Oxbow is really quite average. Pellets should be used only to maintain body conditioning....which really means getting the vitamins and minerals that domestic rabbits miss by not being out in the wild. When you look at things in that context, there again are other products that are equal toor exceed Oxbow. And again, certainly this doesn't mean Oxbow pellets are not good quality.

There is also an alternative to Critical Care. It is easier to find and get shipped in. And in my personal opinion, is at least equal to Critical Care. It is from American Pet Diner and is called "Critter Be Better". It comes in both a powder type form and a pellet. I have found the Critter Be Better powderis a little more course than Critical Care. It also contains some components that Critical Care doesn't. I have never used the pellet form since I use it in some baby cottontails and they generally don't get pellets. I have found that APD's products are for the most part very expensive...but the Critter Be Better is an excellent product.

And again, the point I am trying to make is that there are always alternatives if you have any difficulties with a particular product...and this is for anything, not just rabbit related issues. And my personal opinion regarding Oxbow is that they are made their products too difficult to acquire and too expensive. But on the other hand, their decisions and the fact that people are still buying their products in spite of the sometimes challenging task of finding their product and with the price increases due to their network of distributors just means our free enterprise system is working as designed. But they, just like the buying public, needs to remember their are equal or superior options available. And if consumers were to take advantage of that fact more often, these prices would be kept in check more than they are.

Randy

Latest posts

Back