Anyone else have horses?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze_Amita

Reaction score
I'm asking because I'm looking for someone(other than judgemental people) that could possibly help me with my mare. I'll say sorry about the lengthy post prior.

Background info on Jasmine (Jazzy/Jazz). Biggest thing is she's a rescue that no one had room or time for. She exchanged hands many times before she landed with me. She's 14.3 HH, Bay with a star. She was a couple hundred pounds underweight and had contracted UVeitis while being neglected, So I had the job of 'fattening her up' and she was for a youth friend of mine to ride, I'm too big for her. Well the youth won't talk to me because she didn't want to follow my rules with my animals. But anyway. I've been working for almost three years to get her into shape. I had her in beautiful shape this past spring, got her to hold weight over the winter this time. Typically she doesn't hold her weight well. This time when the youth told me to my faceI was a *not repeating mouthy child*. I said fine, whatever. Don't talk to me again and I'll be fine. Well I let her fall back out of shape. She wasn't in perfect shape anyway, but riding would have helped. I lunge her on the line, but with not being able to see I'm limited to where she can be worked. I'm on a backyard farm, so it's not like I have an arena or round pen to work her in, justa lunge line and the mowed off hay feild. To me her hips, hindquarters and tail dock are still skinny looking. I'm not completely sure that an Arabian should look like that. She seems to also have some joint problems but she's trained in dressage. I can't bear to find her another home, she's my baby. My first horse, even if it was by default.

P6080029.jpg
P6140053.jpg

That's a couple of side shots of her, sorry the flymask is blocking her beautiful face, but she wears one everyday, except rainy days to keep her eyes from 'flaring' swelling back up with the UVeitis. She also rubs her hips, as you can see. The pink and the black areas on her hips. Probably from being soo dirty, I'm bathing at least monthly while it's still warm. Regular deworming(Bi monthly along with my Appalossa gelding on the opposite months)

The only birthdate we know right now is May 1993, so she's not exactly young, but not that old.

And just for giggles: Phoenix, my Appaloosa gelding!

P6080036.jpg

He was a retiree Hunter/jumper from a friend of mine, she just wanted the 'old man' to have a comfortable life. His birthdate is December 27, 1983, so he's 26. 15.3 HH, I do trail ride, western, bareback and some english on him. He's got a sliver of white on his forehead for a star. He's in gorgeous shape, other than a bit active.

Both are on Superiour Senior feed, twice a day feeding. Jazz gets half a scoop morning and night, no suppliments or anything. They stay out on pasture unless it's a bad storm that comes through and I bring them into the barn along with a few of the owners horses.

Jazz had been on Superior 12 percent, and that had been doing the job, but once I let her fall out of shape, I couldn't get her back into shape with the 12%, soI transistioned her over to the senior at 14% instead and have been fighting tooth and nail to get her back into shape. Thevet said she was sound and healthy, but I have my doubts.

The first two pics of Jazz are from Mid June, this one is from two days ago.

P8080044.jpg

Again sorry about the lengthy post and heavy picsbut I worry incesitantly about allof my children, hooved and furry alike.

Umm.... forgive me but that gelding.... looks like a red dun.....

and your mare.... she could have a lot of issues.. rubbing/biting could be ulcers. She doesn't look overly thin to me but I'm a quarter horse person trying to see what your horse should look like. Some horses are just build different also.

She is beautiful!
We have 2 horses :)
We have Destiny (he has a rather gay name) who is a paint stallion with 2 blue eyes. He is registered with AQHA & Paint & Pinto registry.
We also have bell our bay roan AQHA registered mare.
I prefer Destiny because he is extremely sweet for a stud :D
Try to feed her Tizwhiz feed if you have a TSC near you. Go for the brood mare stuff :D

Bo B Bunny wrote:

and your mare.... she could have a lot of issues.. rubbing/biting could be ulcers. She doesn't look overly thin to me but I'm a quarter horse person trying to see what your horse should look like. Some horses are just build different also.

He's a solid red dun appaloosa- He'sa registered Appy, parents are both appy's he's just a freakchild. :) Vet said she was healthy no problems. I probably should trust them.

i'm a draft and quarter horse person too. my motto is "I like big butts and I can not lie!" lol. It's got to be the arabian thing i guess with Jazz. I might give it a go with the broodmare stuff, or a weight builder suppliment.

You may want to try beat pulp and soaking the feed. I'm assuming the scoop you are using is the ones always sold at tack stores so you could feed what you usually do for grain, add 1/2 scoop beat pulp and 1 gallon of water- let soak atleast an hour (overnight even).

This is easier for them to digest and they tend to get more out of it.

If she has trouble with teeth give her one ear of corn a day- it helps to 'float' the teeth.

She doesn't look too awful bad to me. We had a mare that got those hip sores and laid down alot- does she do the same? If so- maybe she is having some joint issues. When you flex her knee put your finger in the middle (you'll find a soft spot) does it feel like sand or water?

Blaze_Amita wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:

He's a solid red dun appaloosa- He'sa registered Appy, parents are both appy's he's just a freakchild. :) Vet said she was healthy no problems. I probably should trust them.

i'm a draft and quarter horse person too. my motto is "I like big butts and I can not lie!" lol. It's got to be the arabian thing i guess with Jazz. I might give it a go with the broodmare stuff, or a weight builder suppliment.

WOW! I have never seen a red dun appy! I have a red dun myself! but she's a QH and we have a chestnut gelding. Pokie and Dakota!

I feed Nutrena Safe Choice to them and for Dakota I give him the top dress by Nutrena EMPOWER. I kid you not, he gained about 100 pounds in 2 weeks! and it's just a tiny little amount - very expensive, but worth it - Kota is one of those horses that just can't keep his ribs covered.

Oh and Kota had ulcers and bit at his flanks really bad for a long time - then I got him vetted and he's been fine since.

Latest posts

Back