Anyone dealt with mycotoxicosis (mycotoxins)?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
If anyone is familiar with Mycotoxicosis--or mycotoxin poisoning--in rabbits, I would like to know two things:

1) What symptoms/behavioral changes did you observe in your rabbit as a result of Mycotoxicosis?

2) What was the treatment protocol used to treat the condition--and how well did it work?

Thank you,

Jenk

I've never dealt with it before, but I did do some reading up on it, and read a few other peoples experiences with it. It seemed to me that it would be extremely hard to determine if there was mycotoxin poisoning, because the symptoms are so much like all the other symptoms of sicknesses our buns get, unless you got the feed/hay tested and it showed the presence of mycotoxins. It seems like it was most apparent when someone had several rabbits, and they all started getting sick, one after the other. This link had some good info on the symptoms, and also treatment options.

http://www.morfz.com/myco.html

Jen
I am having trouble pasting it but there is an article on mycotoxin poisoning in the RO library. I don't know if you saw it or not ?.. also I remember that Tinysmom had rabbits that got bad feed and you may want to search some old threads.

Can't help with the symptoms as we've never had it hit us. You can usually tell if feed has gone bad...we came across a couple of bags of new feed that just didn't look or smell right. It was obvious when I put good feed next to it though. Thank goodness we didn't use it because I know people who've lost rabbits to bad feed.

Hay may be a little harder to see, but good hay has a distinctive, sort of sweet, smell. Hay bales (like 50#+ bales), especially fresh hay, can still have some moisture in them. That's why it's important to store it where it can get air, to keep it dry.

Latest posts

Back