Anybody here take their bunnies to Petsmart with them?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
I'd like to start taking Sherman to PetSmart with me when I go shopping, but there are always so many dogs around.

Do any of you take your bunnies there? If so, have you ever had any problems with dogs upsetting the bunny?

I've never taken my bunnies - I'm sure people dothough as I'm not sure about in the USA but over here they have a petsurgery so theres always lots of different animalsabout(although ours is no longer PetSmart but calledPetsAtHome). I would have thought you would have to watch the dogsthough as there are quite a lot around- Would Sherman be on aleash? If so just pick him up when you get near a dog - I wouldn't liketo trust other peoples dogs as unless you know the temperament younever know do you! I bet he wouldhave great fun goingshopping with you though:D!

I go to Petsmart quite often to educate aboutbunnies and have mine with me. Most people adore seeing a bunny but youalways have to fool that wants his dog to scare it. We have put ours inthe cart on a blanket and at times let them hop on hte lead andharness. I think Sherman will like it but you will hear the lets eatthe rabbit stuff

Ive never seen any rabbits at Pets at Home or evenwhen it was PetSmart but I'd take Hazel out! She'd love it, I have aharness for her but never used it totake her shopping.

Owners who take their dogs out into shops arequite firm withthem and keep them close by them. Theyshouldnt let thembother a little cutey!

Ive taken Dougal my cat out on a harness and they're really good. He went to a special pet church service!

My front sack for carry bunnies worked well atPet*Smart. Most dogs weren't even aware of a rabbit'spresence. I guess with so many odors going on there, rabbitwasn't all that noticable.

Buck

I take mine to Petco. I do the same thing Buntydoes. I put a blanket in the the cart. Most people are surprised to seea rabbit there lol. Actually the cats and dogs don;t bother Apollo. Thefish freak him out. So I avoid them when I have him with me. I think hefeels safe in the cart. He stretches out and sleeps til someone loveson him.

They just opened the petco by me a few months ago. I'm the only onethat brings a rabbit in. The employees all look forward to seeing him.The only thing I have to watch is they all want to give him treats lol.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Give Sherman a hug from me. He is such a sweetie.

Tina

How does everyone transport a bunny in the car? Just wondering....

Cristy

Since I have 2, one rides in a cat carrier or box,while hte other rides in my lap. Spice is much calmer so he gets to siton my lap and stare out the window while my parents drive. The box hasair space and is big enough for them to sprawl out and do as theyplease.

batman just does whatever hewants. he usually lays on the passenger side floor but hes started tocrawl onto my lap & even look out of the window. i have acarrier for him for when we go to the vets (in case he gets too freakedout in the waiting room) but hes never even used it.

I take Blackie with my all the time. I bought afrontpack for small animals to ride in. I had to add alittle pillow sohe is up higher in it. In fact we went to Petsmart to buy it.

He has been to other stores as well. In the car he likes to sit on my lap or shoulder so he can see out the window.

Mary

Bunnymommy wrote:
I'd like to start taking Sherman to PetSmart with me when Igo shopping, but there are always so many dogs around.

Do any of you take your bunnies there? If so, have you ever had any problems with dogs upsetting the bunny?
We take Pepper to Petsmart and no problems.We have him in thebasket,in his pet carrier.We keep him in his petcarrier,so hedoesn't run all over the place and no other pets would goafter him.So,I think you should take Sherman to Petsmart.:D

Not only do the buns enjoy it think of the goodwill you are doing for rabbits. Society needs to see what great petsthey are. You may be able to answer another pet owners concern. I havenumerous people ask why mine are so docile and don't bite and it opensup a talk on spay/neuter. I found that going bye-byes withthe buns make them less stressed when forced to travel eg vet office.The know they go get petted told they are lovely and comehome. 95% of the other pet owners are great and love to seebunnies

I have never taken my buns to petsmart some ofthem are okay with dogs and others are very afraid of dogs.but i likethe rabbit education idea.My daughter took hers to school and sheexplained how to take care of a bunny.bluebird

You know what I just thought about (andthis is slightly off topic)? How is it that when the animalsare in Petsmart that none of them "go" on the floor? It's thesame way with Pet Supermarket.

Is it that they are just so well trained or that the staff isjust diligent about getting "accidents" cleaned up quickly?

P.S. Thanks to Tina and Apollo... ...Sherman now has a bunny harness that fits and will be accompanying uson our next visit to Petsmart! :D

my bunny goes with me all the time to PetSmart.All the kids there love her. I rarely see any dogs there though. I justhold her, and she does fine. She loves to burrow her head into my elbowthough. She'll occasionally poke her head out to figure out whats goingon, but then she just sticks her head right back into my elbow.

Back