Any tips on getting does to breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyalLions18

Reaction score
I have had no luck this year with babies!! Their are 10 does i have been trying to get to breed since spring!! I just got 1 bred the other day. So 9 too go! I need babies to show in may at nationals and at this point will not be going!! They are getting apple cider vinegar in their water, i have switched the does into the bucks cages. They are all of perfect weight and on a good food. I try to hold them, non of my bucks will breed if i try to help. And the does just freak out!! They are all dark purple/pink right now and still wont lift. Some are older proven does and some are right at a year old with no litters yet.

Are they getting enough daylight? I try to keep light in the barn for at least 16 hours a day. Not really sure why they aren't breeding...thankfully I haven't had this problem yet.

Dark purple is often past the receptive period and does may not breed. We continue to take them to the buck's cage daily (twice a day if possible), and most of them will eventually willingly lift. Be sure to be rotating older does out of the herd to keep the majority of your does young. Try to do your breedings early in the morning or later into the evening when rabbits are most active.

Latest posts

Back