Any Holland Lops Need Homes In Ohio?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bottom line is that when you pay money to aperson that treats the rabbits that way, you are supporting them. Theonly way to get them to stop is for people to stop paying them money.

Im not paying them...the owner said it is a far enough drive to be paying for him, so no charge.

jordiwes wrote:
The bottom line is thatwhen you pay money to a person that treats the rabbits that way, youare supporting them. The only way to get them to stop is for people tostop paying them money.

I thought I would take a moment and write to you what I just told someone else.

There are a couple of problems with helping you rescue him.

a. First of all - we'd be contributing to the problems of bunny mills. Many of us do not believe in that.

b. Secondly - we're encouraing that owner to play "mindgames" with folks looking at his rabbits. "Come and get him or we'lleat him"...etc. or "Come and get him or he's going to the shelter..".

Yes - I understand the rabbit needs a home. I honestly and truly do.

But let's say that we get him to you...once again - you may wind up facing one of the following two situations:

a. The rabbit has major medical issues because of coming froma bunny mill. Suddenly you have major medical expenses...or loss yourrabbit suddenly and deal with the pain of losing him/her.

From what I've read - rabbits from bunny mills run a greater chance ofhealth problems because the does are overbred and their systems /bodyorgans might not be as healthy. This can pass on to the babies.

or

b. The rabbit is so unsocialized that in 3 months - youregret having him and wish you could take him to a shelter.As much as I loved Tiny and Tio and Kyo when we got them - I have toadmit - it was hard to have rabbits that wanted nothing to do with me.Would I have taken them to a shelter? No. But it might have beentempting if I'd never had rabbits before.

What you're asking us to do would be like me finding a bottle of prettyliquid and saying, "here...I found this...help me drink it.." and youread the bottle and see it has a 90% chance of being poisonous to myhealth. Would you "help" me then by giving me what I want?

We're really trying to think about what is best for you.

I do wish you well in getting a bunny though.

Peg

I hope what I'm about to say doesn't sound callous...

But...

You need to understand that by taking that bun, and buying into whatthat person is saying about their buns (that they eat them, thatsomeone's purchasing some for eating, that they don't feedthem...whatever they're saying), you are, in effect, encouraging themto continue.

Yes, you would be saving one bun's life...and yes, that'simportant...but you have to understand that you'd be saving the life ofa bun that will more than likely have serious health problems thatwould possibly cost you and your parents in the thousands in vetcare. Why, spaying alone here in my area is $250 perbun...and that's with a discount.

So, please...we're not trying to attack you...we're looking out forthis bunny as much as you are...as well as his family (either before orafter him), because buying from someone that's saying the things you'retelling us they're saying will only encourage further buns to beproduced (which is all they look at is as) and sold that have little orno chance at a healthy life.

I would recommend that, instead of getting this bun, you call theauthorities (Animal Control, a shelter), and report thisperson. That way, you not only save this bun's life, you saveALL their lives and prevent any further breeding.

Like I mentioned....Sweetie, we're REALLY TRULY not attackingYOU. We're upset about the conditions these buns must beliving in as well, and we're concerned about your buying a bun thatwill ultimately end up costing you guys thousands (and that's veryliteral...no exaggeration there), and you losing a bun you've fallen inlove with all too soon due to those health problems.

We love you...and all buns. We're not sitting here notwanting to help that bun...we cry right along with you about situationslike these, and have all been there in wanting to rescue a bun in thattype of situation. But there has to be a point where yourealize that by giving that person your money, you are allowing theirpractice in creating animals for horrible reasons and with a horriblelife to continue. It's extremely bittersweet...and doesn'tfeel like you're doing anything when you don't have that life in yourhome and your hands...but you have to know that the absolute best thingyou can do for that little guy is to call the authorities and shut thatperson's business down.

It's a difficult decision, Hun...but it has to be made.

Love and hugs,

Rosie*

maherwoman wrote:
I would recommend that, instead of getting this bun, youcall the authorities (Animal Control, a shelter), and report thisperson. That way, you not only save this bun's life, you saveALL their lives and prevent any further breeding.
That is a very good idea.

NibblesMommy, I had rushed into getting a rabbit a coupleyears ago and I was perhaps not as careful about the breeder as Ishould have been. In the first 8 weeks of having him, he had to betaken to the vet 4 or 5 times. The vet bills really add up. had I beenmore careful to research the breeder and really not turn a blind eye tothe bad stuff they were doing, I wouldn't have ended up with a sickbunny that needed so much medical attention.

Latest posts

Back