Any have experience with bunny amputations?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvaFlemish

Reaction score
I'm new, but I need your opinions.

I have a 16 day old kit, I named Flopsy, who broke her leg. Not sure how it happened. Anyway, it is bad. So bad that the vet says our only option
Is to amputate at the knee (it's a hind leg) or put her down. Does anyone know if rabbits can still have a good quality of life with only one hind leg? This is a Flemish giant so it can grow up to 20 lbs or so. Will it still be able to get around? Is it worth the money? I'm a breeder nit a pet owner, so I have to look at things differently. We will never be able to show it, maybe it could still breed or I could sell it to someone as a pet. Or keep it. I don't know. Will a kit that young do OK with anithesia? I'm really upset about this b/c I feel like it's my fault and I don't know what to do to help my bunny?:lookaround

A bunny that young prob wont pull through a surgery.

Are you keeping him if you go through with amputation or rehoming? Id put it down honestly if you plan to rehome it. The amount of weight on paralell leg will be imense and cause arthritis noticibly later on. Leg needs to be removed higher than the elbow and a vet shouldnt want to amputate at a joint, its riskier.

Would the operation have to be now? Someone else on the forum took over the care of a rabbit that needs an amputation but the vet wants an infection to clear up. They may be completely different situations, but you could find the topic with a search for amputation.

I had a baby break its leg (yes it was my fault I was trying to take a picture and she popped out of my hand, I caught her in between my fingers but her leg broke.) It was broken right below her knee on the long bone. I took her to my boss(a vet) and he helped me splint it. I used popsicle sticks but you can also try a wire hanger he said. My kit was about 10 days old but I splinted her leg and made sure it was on every day. Of course it would easily fall off because they loved moving but I tried to keep it on as much as possible. I also gave her some extra KMR to help her keep up with her siblings. She grew and the leg healed. Of course it wasnt completely straight because I couldnt keep the splint on 24/7 but her leg was fine and she hopped around no problem. The only thing I can't say is how she is doing lately because later after being sold as a pet she died on the table during her spay. Very sad but the leg gave her no problems

Heres a picture of me feeding her with her splint

Gimpy.jpg

It would need to be done pretty soon. It's a compound fracture and the bone is exposed. Vet said the location made it impossible to splint. It's right at the "ankle". We would probably keep her. I actually went on YouTube and video of three legged bunnies hopping around. So I feel like she would be OK, I'm now just worried about her surviving the surgery.

i would be more worried about her making it through surgery...theres a reason a lot of vets wont do it untl a certain age on rabbits or weight. too much risk and the anthsia is too difficult to control on such a tiny thing.

could you wrap it? id worry about infection too.

Oh I didn't know it was a compound fracture and not on a long bone. I wouldn't know what to do. Sorry

Good Luck to the little one :(

I am glad you had the surgery done. I had a 9 week old baby that I had surgery done on because she also had the bone exposed. She did wonderful and grew to be 10 pounds and there was nothing wrong with her, she got around just fine. The only issue that she did have was the ear on the side that didn't have a back leg used to get pretty dirty because she couldn't clean it, so just watch out for that. I am glad you saved its life

Back