Any English Lop owners out there?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veggie Girl

Reaction score
So... I have become infatuated with the English Lop breed, and put a deposit down on a bunny the other day. I have been looking online and know about the importance of ear cleaning and trimming of nails so they don't scratch themselves, but I can't seem to find much information on them. What else do I need to know when I bring an English Lop into my home. I want to do things right and would love to know what I'm in for so to speak :biggrin2:
Thanks for any advice.

It's a litter of 4 and the breeder said she may keep up to two but I have first pick after her. Here is a pic of them at only a few days. They were born 11-3-09. Their are two Fawns and a Broken Tort, and possible Broken Blue Tort.
DSC08658-1.jpg

If you have a room that is rabbit proofed, look at it again, because its not the same as being e-lop proofed. My Daisy is always finding ways to get into things that I thought I had blocked off.

They are very inquisitive and very very lovable. They are just like any other bun but with huge beautiful ears!

undergunfire wrote:
Katt (Katie) needs to come reply in this thread :biggrin2:!

lol amy! yup, i can fill an entire room with stories.

here is the biggest thing about english lops:

they are clowns, they are trouble makers (not in a bad way), and they will steal your heart within minutes of owning one.

when i bred rabbits we had a few, then after i got out of breeding i had one, herman, as a pet.

life is never boring with one around. they are very VERY social animals. they want to know what your doing and be around you all the time. they are goofy, and very puppy-like.

dave had it right. . . bunny proof! if they want to get into something, they will find a way!

a good blog from here to check out for stories of life with an english lop is yofi's:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28182&forum_id=6

ph3.jpg

and enjoy your new cheeky little bunny when you get him!

Aww Yofi is adorable! I'm going to have to start reading Bassetluv's blog when I get a chance. Also that's a cute tounge photo of your bun kat :)
I'm so excited, I just want my e-lop NOW! I have a long wait though as the babies aren't even a week old yet! At least that gives me more time to make sure I'm 100% set up. I have an empty room in my house and plan on making it the "bunny room"

I have to say... I've never met a rabbit with as much personality as my E lop. He is FULL of character and spunk... Is also a lot more cuddly and snuggly than my other two as well. He is absolutely my heart.

SunnyCait wrote:
I have to say... I've never met a rabbit with as much personality as my E lop. He is FULL of character and spunk... Is also a lot more cuddly and snuggly than my other two as well. He is absolutely my heart.
Ditto, I don't know if its those big ears, diva personality or something else, my e-lop has stolen my heart also.

I just... He's SO friendly... And he LOVES me. Like you can tell he loves you. He cuddles and snuggles and gives kisses. He JUMPS when you come to his cage door to let him out... He wants to be with his person ALL the time. He's so wonderful!

I have read about their great temperment, that is one of the reasons I fell in love with breed...along with those irresistable long ears :) I plan on getting a male, but am not 100% set on it. The breeder is supposed to let me know their genders when they are around 3 weeks of age. I am excited to find out which ones are males if any!

I would love to have an E-lop eventually... after reading all these stories and looking at the pictures!
The only problem is I don't know if I'd have enough room for one with my Holland Lop around too. Also I can't find a breeder near me!

I've got three English Loppies and two litters on the way. I LOVE the breed; not only are they completely adorable, but they've also got personality plus.

Glad to see you're aware of ear care. Be sure to also keep on eye on their feet; their large size and relatively thinly furred feet make them prone to sore hocks. Also, it may just be due to the fact that they're not used to it, but all of mine are ridiculously clumsy on laminate flooring to the point where I worry about them slipping up and hurting themselves. :foreheadsmack:Just thought that was worth mentioning in case you're planning on housing your bunny on laminate.

Other than that... care for these guys is generally the same as any other breed- Just a lot more interesting. :biggrin2:

Best of luck and keep us updated with pictures once you get your new lop!

DSC01560.JPG
DSC01560.JPG
dsc01560m.jpg

^Tris, my heart rabbit and the girl who got me addicted to the breed. :hearts:

I told Sarah to just put down some cheap area rugs from Walmart for traction for her new bunny. A lot of bunnies don't like tile/wood floors and putting down an area rug means.....
MORE BINKIES :inlove:!!!!!

I can't wait until Sarah gets her Elop, now I won't have to admire the breed from afar :p. I'm going to *squeeeeee* once I see my first Elop binky.

Back