Any cat people? Help?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcfan23

Reaction score
I have a 3-4 year old siamese mix named Graysen. He is a neutered male and was always good about using his litter box. then slowly every now and then he would poop in the house. as long as i cleaned it up my mom really didn't say much. it seemed like he wouldn't go to my basement to the litter box, then we got him using it again. then a bit later it started again and he would pee on the rugs and baby mats or what ever was in front of our front door, then we thought it was the rugs so we just took the rug away and he didn't do it 1 night then just did it on the floor in front of the door, then last night he peed on my dads clothes laying on the floor (i blame that on the fact my dad doesn't like him too much. Now my mom wants rid of him and i can't bear to get rid of him, i love this cat so much! I NEED HELP!

One of my bunnies is in the basement could she be why he wont pee/poop there? He doesn't really seem to be bothered by her and he still uses the box everyday! ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1401019438.783659.jpg

I don't have cats, but I'm sure a lot of people on this forum do so hopefully someone can help you. In the meantime, my suggestion is to search Google for a cat forum. One time I stumbled upon a goat forum that looks just like RO and I imagine there are forums for other animals out there as well. By the way, your cat looks like my rabbits! They have that same brown Siamese coloring!

If a litter box has been soiled at all, cats sometimes won't use it. Mines picky like that. She decides that she's pooped there once and until it's cleaned, she won't poop there again. Also, it's natural instinct for almost any animal to mark it's territory on things that are just laying piled on the floor.
He could have a bladder infection.
Until you get this solved, try isolating him to one room in your house, that includes his litter box. Almost like when you're training a kitten to use the box. The bathroom normally works best, (cause bathrooms are normally not carpeted and easy to clean up.)
Hope that helped!

I have a cat and am on a cat forum. It sounds like your cat either has a UTI, other problems, or is mad at someone in the household. I agree with isolating him until you get him to the vet to get checked for a UTI and other problems.

Here is the website for the cat forum I am on:

catforum.com

They are really nice and helpful as well.

I have three cats, and one bun. My cat's ages are 13, 5, and 3. My rabbit just hit 2 a few months ago.

My 13 year old cat has ALWAYS had litterbox problems until i moved out of my parents' house and took her as all MY responsibility instead of a family pet. Her litterbox issues stopped once I got a topless litterbox that was very large and scooped it DAILY. Until then she always would pee outside of it at least once a week. She has not has an accident in about two years since the change. My two boys have never had any litterbox issues. I did notice my 13 year old's litterbox problems worsened when I would introduce another animal to the family. It got worse when my family got different cats, our dog, etc. My cats' litter habits did not change when we got our rabbit--but she was kept in a different room from their litterbox.

Since we moved, both the rabbit's cage and outside toys/litter box and the cats litter box are all in our living room. No changes in behavior on either end.

However if may be the issue for you--your rabbit's stuff being in the same room as the cat's litter box. I would experiment with moving things to different rooms or putting more space between them in the same room. If it's not the issue, it could be something with his health and that is very important! I also suggest looking on cat based forums for help! Best of luck to you and your pets!!

hey,

has he been to the vet at all? Cats, more so males are very prone to get Bladder/UT issues. And normally the only way they can really let us as their owners know is by doing things they are not suppose to do.

I would first try to get him to the vet to make sure that it isn't anything medically wrong with him.

If that is ruled out I would suggest kitty bootcamp. Get him confined a room or a large dog crate with his litter box, water bowl, food bowl, and a couple of toys. He stays in the confined space until he uses the litter box like a pro then open his area more, if he goes back peeing and pooping where he isn't suppose to it is back to bootcamp.

Is his litter box only in the basement? I would try to see if you can get him a box on each level of the home, or at least one more.

He's been to the vet 2 times over this (he's been doing it for around a year) and vets said its all behavioral. Today i put my bunny outside for the summer since its getting nice. Im hoping he starts using the litterbox again

I have 2 cats one is a full siamese and one is half. The male who is the half siamese does the same thing since we got the female cat and other animals- rabbit and chihuahua. He did have urine crystals before we got the 2nd cat but it was resolved.
You will need to get a second litter box and put it right next to the door. When you change the fresh litter put him right in it so he knows its his and clean. Do not put other things such as your clothes by the door this has happened to me tons of times with my old housemates cat! They will pee on it no matter what it is! I have also seen cat repelant mats that I have considered getting but I am not sure if they will work or not. They are plastic spike mats that cats don't like to walk on.
I see this as a territorial thing especially if it did not happen until after you got the bunny.

get another litter box, as there should be at least 2 in the house, and but him through kitty boot camp, it is the best way to figure out his triggers, and keep him from loosing his forever home.

Behavioral pee is the worse thing to deal with, and it needs to be taken care of right away. Make sure you are cleaning with enzyme cleaners (it takes the smell off at his level not just human).

Teach your father not to leave clothes on the floor.

I have a 6ish year old moggie (mix cat). She had behvioral peeing before I got her. I made sure everything soft was off the floors as did my roommate. Now, the times we get inaporiate peeing is when she is trying to tell us something and we are ignoring her (like we fell behind on cleaning the box, or i locked her away from people for to long....my friend was over and allergic to cats... she did have her litter box she just held it and went on the bed. ) My vet hates me because I have figured out her triggers and 99% of the time when she pees outside of the box I don't take her in... to them when ever there is outside the box problem first stop is the vet....and it is what I tell others unless it is known behvioral problem, then I just tell people to look for the triggers.

But since you don't seem to know the triggers, the best bet is kitty boot camp,

Latest posts

Back