Antibiotic Reaction

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zekeybun

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my fiancé and I recently took in a foster pair of rabbits- we lost one super suddenly and tragically to a respiratory infection that progressed fast. The other girl has been to the vet twice now for a sick visit and a follow up. Our vet prescribed Zeniquin. We just finished a two week cycle and the vet started us on another since she noted a small amount of fluid still in the ears. She sent us home with a clean bill of health otherwise. A few hours after the antibiotic our girl is hanging small- tiny poops and not showing interest in dinner. I’m planning on reaching out to my vet at 7am when they open. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this? Should I push critical care in the meantime?

I had that happen with a rabbit that had a long acting Convenia injection. Because it was long acting, it was a couple weeks of her having a reduced appetite, me worrying, and having to do regular syringe feeds to make up for the loss of appetite.

As long as it's just a reduced appetite and not runny poop, you should be able to just supplement with syringe feeds until your bun gets her appetite back. If diarrhea(the fecal poop, not just mushy cecals) does occur, that's an emergency, as it means antibiotic induced enterotoxemia may have occurred.

Are you giving probiotics? I always give probiotics whenever I give antibiotics, especially if its an oral antibiotic, to make up for any beneficial gut bacteria that might be affected by the antibiotics. I use the probios powder from tractor supply but there are other brands.

Are you giving probiotics? I always give probiotics whenever I give antibiotics, especially if its an oral antibiotic, to make up for any beneficial gut bacteria that might be affected by the antibiotics. I use the probios powder from tractor supply but there are other brands.

I am not- I’ll definitely talk to my vet this morning and see if she can recommend anything as well! We got her into the vet first thing this morning- she actually made an effort to finish her dinner and did have some normal poops! Thank you for all the responses- sometimes I just enjoy the comfort of others. Fingers crossed the vet visit today goes well!

Latest posts

Back