Anthony doesn't like to leave his cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candykittten

Reaction score
So I leave Anthony's cage door open for at least 2 hours a day, but I'm lucky if he spends 15min outside of his cage. Usually he will only come out if I hand feed him veggies.

I'm concerned it's because of my three ferrets. Anthony doesn't mind our dog but he hates my ferrets. They have different play times but unfortunately my ferrets have free roam of the house so everywhere smells like them. However Anthony has only lived with me for 4months and we moved in Jan. Does he just need time?

What should I do? I'm concerned he's not getting enough exercise :(

Edit to add- He's also afraid of my boyfriend. And we live together :/. My boyfriend doesn't like him and aside from topping up his hay or changing his litter won't interact with him.

I have two ferrets also. One thing to keep in mind is that ferrets eat rabbits in the wild. Uncanny I know, but true. Bred down over the years in captivity for sure, but that instinct is still there for rabbits to flee or get testy.

Have your ferrets been descented? The musk might be what is putting Anthony off.

My Molly doesn't like to step on the door to her cage, but if I remove the wire top completely, leaving only the plastic bottom, she gets out very often. Maybe give that a shot?

Rabbits are big on sensing their human's mood - as long as your boyfriend isn't being hostile or negative, just simply isn't "into" rabbits, it might actually HELP Anthony to come around. One of the bonding techniques on the forum is to "ignore" the bunny when they are having out time/scampering around. It helps them build trust if they "don't think you're paying attention". It worked with my Gubble.

I would give it time with your ferrets and rabbit. Introduce them like you would a new rabbit. My ferrets, Colt and Kayla, will check out the rabbits, but then scamper off to hide my stuff. I never let the ferrets wander into any of the bunny pens/houses. It's that territorial thing that I try to avoid. Plus my ferrets REALLY like rabbit toys. :banghead

Yes they have been descented. His cage opens right onto the floor. This is how he sits all day..

008-5.jpg

I have had ferrets, but never while I had bunnies.

You may want to ask MandyK because she has both ferret and rabbits who have become accustomed to the different scents within the same household.

Look like he wants to, but is unsure of himself. Maybe you could lure him out with a quick hop by placing something yummy just outside the door?

:pray:

Hey whatever works for now! He'll grow bolder with time!

Right now Molly's door is open and has been for the better part of an hour and she's half asleep in her litter box. Molly has been part of the family for 2 or so months. She was from a backyard breeder and will be 3 years old next month. She's still getting used to living inside, having toys and human company.

It will be so worth it when Anthony finally seeks out your company, in whatever way he decides to show it. :vacuum:

We have bunnies and dogs, but they are never in the same space-our small dog is a Great Dane. Bambi, a mini Rex, would jump up on the table and go back inside her hutch unless I closed her door--kind of defeated the "letting her out to exercise" theory.

I suppose if you got an xpen the ferrets would invade it. Can't one room be off limits to the ferrets until Anthony can get used to them?

Maybe he's still unsure of his surroundings. And like Sammy said bunnies are very good on picking up on moods. I've never had ferrets; they aren't legal to own in California. I do have cats too. The cats and Harvey get along. They don't view him as prey, in fact my fat cat thinks he is a good play mate. Which usually results in the rabbit chasing the cat up his cat tree. The cat doesn't mind and I figure it's good exercise for him since my older cat rather just sleep. The rabbit is good with the cats too. He bosses them around, grooms them and tries to get them to groom him.

I'm lucky they get along so well. Does help that I have an outgoing bunny. He is out of his cage when I am home and in when I am sleeping or away. I have been thinking it would be nice to have a baby gate up in my bedroom door at night. I'm pretty sure the cat would figure out a way to break him out and they would get into so much trouble.

Ok so an update.. I've been trying some new methods to get him moving and exercising. I had success with two new games. In one I walk around the apartment holding lettuce and he follows me around :p and in the other I hide pieces of lettuce around the apartment and he goes looking for them. He loves his food!

That's an awesome idea!! I think I'm going to try that myself!

Glad he's scooting around finally for you.

:run:

So glad to hear Anthony is out and about. What a brilliant idea. Making it a game to help your shy guy get out and about.

K :)

Latest posts

Back