Another Tall Tale -- Enzymes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pam,

I know that some people swear by the pineapple juice. From what I've read (and if I understand it correctly), is that you'd have to be cautious if the gas is because of the bacteria, Clostridia. That being the case, the sugar will make it grow.

In light of that and in your opinion, should you treat with simethicone first, and for how long before, then give the fresh pineapple juice?

-Carolyn

Ideally -- I'd go with a lactated ringers drip :)

Correct electrolyte balance and will keep the rabbit and the intestines well hydrated as well as keeping the kidneys well flushed. In fatal cases, the rabbitoften succumbs to kidney failure, so it is important to keep them functioning and flushing toxins out.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Ideally -- I'd go with a lactated ringers drip :)?

Correct electrolyte balance and will keep the rabbit and the intestines well hydrated as well as keeping the kidneys well flushed.? In fatal cases, the rabbit?often succumbs to kidney failure, so it is important to keep them functioning and flushing toxins out.

Pam

Have heard of people that swear by the petro-base laxative.

Do you suggest a certain brand?

-Carolyn

Some experts have said it can be dangerous to use any type of laxatives (I haven't found much success with them). Some warn against any petroleum based products for rabbitsas it is suspected it may bind to the blockage. However, there are brands of petro based products such as petromalt for rabbits on the market.

Petro based products are more commonly used for cats anddogs.

Mineral oil is commonly used in horses, but I haven't heard if it is safe to tube a rabbit with it. (It is not recommende to syringe mineral oil into a rabbits mouth due to the danger of aspiration).

Haven't had any more luck using petro products than any of the other methods.

I start to give Nutri Cal as soon as the rabbit goes off its feed.

Pam

Papaya tablets have a lot of sugar in them, and the amount of enzymes you want to get from those tablets are minimal. Make sure that when/if you purchase papaya tablets, you check the ingredients and it says no sugar added.

Pam,

Assuming that the juices form some nutrition over growth of bacteria in the gut, would it get them to drink more?

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Papaya tablets have a lot of sugar in them, and the amount of enzymes you want to get from those tablets are minimal. Make sure that when/if you purchase papaya tablets, you check the ingredients and it says no sugar added.

Pam,

Assuming that the juices form some nutrition over growth of bacteria in the gut, would it get them to drink more?

-Carolyn

If they do have GI stasis, it's difficult to get them to drink. Greens are an excellent way to get moisture as well as complex carbs into the gut -- but as you have mentioned -- stubborn Tucker won't eat them :(

Pam

I am not goingto even try toexplain why i dont understand all this :But i have a few coments and amega Question for Pam andfor any one else who might know

First I would never stop usingpineapple and Pumpkin when arabbit is Ill the benifitoutweighs the other alternative. Same with all natural Papya tablets, the risk would betoo high .

Now for the explination and the big question

My Bun Bun a 3 yr old Buckand the light of mylife went off his feed and water thru thenasty heat wave we just experienced, tried giving him all thefirst thought stuff like the pineapple ,pumpkin pa[ya etc he would have no partof it . I was litterally watching himdehydrate before my very eyes ,( very distressing ) needlessto say losing this Rabbit wasntan option for me , Not only would I havebeen devistated but my 8 yearold Grandaughter would have beenheartbroken ( Her Rabbit ) .

Now for the Question (knowing full well it is a huge NO NO )

I decided to give Mr Bun Bun a 3 finger pinchof Ice Burge lettuce soakedtill it could notdraw up any more fluids , I did this for2 days , once a day finally Icould see he was rehydratingand was back to nibbling on his pelletsand was finally drinking fromhis bottle again , ( this was before theheat broke yesterday )

the Q : Did I dothe right thing in giving him thelettuce OR was I just foolingmyself into thinking I had donethe right thing , Would hehave eventually came round to eating onhis own ? or could this haveactually helped him . Its not somethingI would ever do on a contnuing basis but If I am correctthinking it may have helped this time ,couldit be an option whenStasis sets in before you canconsult a Vet ?

omg I am not even sureI typed this correctly and gotmy collective thoughts to come togetherand say what i really mean .

Buck Jones wrote:
Correct me please, but am I missing the fact that the enzymes dohave an effect upon the mucous that holds the hairball together, but not the hair itself.?

Buck

It's not actually known if the artificial enzymes we feed have any effect at all on the compounds surrounding the blockage.Enzymes are very "job specific" and may not break down any of the mucous chemical compounds.

Time for more experiments? :cool:

I will gather intestinal mucous and examine the effects of enzymes

Pam

pamnock wrote:
I will gather intestinal mucous and examine the effects of enzymes
smiley%20yuk.JPG

Pam
:shock:

Interestingly, the mucosa itself contains enzymes to break down foods, so may actually be helping rather than hindering the process of moving the blockage through.

Thecause of GI stasis is most commonly viral which slows the gut and promotes the propagation of harmful bacterias. This is the reason antibiotics are sometimes successful in combating GI stasis.

Just like humans suffering from the flu -- fluids, fluids, and more fluids! The most efficient way to get enough fluids into a rabbit would be through a drip.

Gypsy -- instead of the iceburg lettuce, I'd opt for the dark, leafy greens that are higher in the complex carbs. You're certainly on the right track that leafy greens are a good way to hydrate the gut. Be careful not to over do greens with rabbits not used to them.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
It's not actually known if the artificial enzymes we feed have any effect at all on the compounds surrounding the blockage.Enzymes are very "job specific" and may not break down any of the mucous chemical compounds.

Time for more experiments? :cool:

Very interesting. Let us know what you find, Pam.

-Carolyn

As stated by Rick Stahl:"Since the enzymes (I like meat tenderizer) do work in breaking up the fur balls and since the enzymes cannot dissolve fur, the logical and accepted explanation is that they dissolve the gastric mucous that binds the fur together into a ball. This has been demonstrated on fur balls surgical removed from rabbits' stomachs. I have no doubts that it is what happens."

The number of rabbits we have as well as also having a breed genetically prone to GI stasis has given me the opportunity to try many different treatments over the years.

The most compelling evidence is what I have seen in my own barn.

Mega amounts of enzymes have been nor more effective than any other treatment. I've found dandelion leaves and Nutri Cal to work just as well as anything else.

Pam:pink iris:

pamnock wrote:
I've also read that baking soda can be helpful.

That's news to me! Never heard it before.

O/T Why would Buck have Bag Balm in his medical kit? Just curious as to what it helps?

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
pamnock wrote:
Simethecone is very good to use in cases of bloat. I've also read that baking soda can be helpful.

That's news to me! Never heard it before.

O/T Why would Buck have Bag Balm in his medical kit? Just curious as to what it helps?

-Carolyn
Sore hocks maybe??

Per their website:

"Helps soothe cuts, scratches, skin irritations, and paw abrasions. Pets are in good hands with Bag Balm[suP]�[/suP]. For over 100 years, Bag Balm[suP]�[/suP] has been a fixture down on the farm. It goes on fast�and stays on!"

The only thing ive seen bag balm used for is on new tattoos....it helps relieve the swelling and itchyness and to keep the skin moist...i was surprised to see it in there too

Latest posts

Back