another sick bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holland

Reaction score
Help!!!!!I just don't know if I can do this. For those of you who may or may not know, we have holland lops that my girls show for 4-h, and have recently shown in a couple of ARBA shows. Well, we haven't had much luck with our babies this year. Most of them have died of enteritis, or in the nest box around a week old or younger, and have had several peanuts.

Anyway, I went out yesterday morning to check everyone and found this little doe laying on her side in the corner of the cage. She was just fine the day before. So, I got her out and I've had her in the house since then giving her an ORT solution, and trying to get her to eat oats and hay, but will be making a trip to get some pumpkin, and babyfood in a bit.

We've had no poops or pees, is there anything I can do to get her to potty? And I read somewhere on here about a slurry, but can't seem to find it.

I feel so bad, because every-time I post it seems to have to do with a sick bunny. And if I ever replace my digital (which I really need todo), I promise I will post pics, of all the other happy, bouncy bunnies, one of which is 4wks old and has earned the name of Miss.Piggy, she is quite the cutie.

I've had people tell me how hard raising hollands was, and I just thought that we would be lucky, and it would skip over us, boy was I ever wrong.

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers and wish us lots of luck, I just don't think I can deal with losing another one.

Oh Holland !!!!!

I really sorry to hear that one of your babes isn't well. Ireally don't know what to suggest to you. I hope someone herewill be able to help.

I will be keeping you and your babe in my thoughts. Please let us know how it goes.

I am so sorry -- Hollands are more prone to these frustrating problems.

Tetracycline powder mixed in the water can help duringoutbreaks. I would also keep some Nutri Cal on hand for sickbunns.

Pam

I will definitely go to the feed store to picksome up. But until then is there anything I should do to get her topotty, or do I need to put her back in with mom. My only concern aboutthat is, the boys seem to be rambunctious, and lay right on top of her.

I have on hand Sulmet, Rooster Booster, and itjust says vitamins and electrolytes plus. Would any of these help? Theyare all drinking water solutions. Sulmet is a liquid, and the other twoare powders.

I took the boys out for a few minutes, and puther in she went right to the corner of the cage and put her face in thecorner. Mom sniffed her and turned and walked away. Mom also grunted,and lunged when I tried to get the boys out, but not the doe.

I'm still giving her liquids, and she ate a tinybit of baby food. She has started to pee, but nothing else. She stillacts like she's in pain, I've been rubbing her tummy.

A friend of mine suggested infants ibuprophen for pain. Would anyone know how much?

If you have any weeping willow trees in yourarea, these are the best thing to feed to any rabbit with any sort ofdigestive distress. It contains a substance called Salicinwhich is an aspirin sort of anti inflammatory. You can notfeed too much of it and you can feed them all the branches and leavesthat they will eat. Most rabbits love it's slightly bittertaste. It will help to calm the gut and act as amild pain reliever. I put a branch of it in with my babiesand just weaned babies every day. It really does cut down onthe amount of digestive problems I run into with my dwarfrabbits. You can also give young babies old fashioned oatmeal and all of the grass hay they will eat. Any baby bunnycan be sensitive to the change of diet from all milk to the addition ofsolids but the smaller rabbits seem to be the most sensitive, and therabbits that carry the dwarfing gene can be extra extrasensitive. The addition of 4 way acid pack to the water canbe a big help or if that is not available, put 1-2 TBS of apple cidarvinegar to each gal of water. The acid in the vinegar willhelp to keep the PH of the gut at the properlevel. If you can find some BenaBac, itis concentrated probiotics and can also help to put a sour gut back ontrack. Good Luck with your little baby.

Back