another "outbreak" of pastuerella

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canela_2004

Reaction score
Kahlua is showing symptoms again. She has been symptom free for a few months and this week she is snotty nosed and a little more quiet. I am going to get baytril from our vet today and start giving her echinacea in some pureed veggies. I am not too concerned since this is about the third or fourth time she shows symptoms and we treat for a few weeks and then she is ok again. It gets frustrating though. I am not even sure what caused this "outbreak". Usually it is stress but nothing has changed in her routine or surroundings lately. Any ideas on how to prevent further recurrences?

Hi,

First, I wouldn't assume pasteurella. That has been the most common infection in years past but we are seeing many different strains of bacteria now. A culture and sensitivity would be in order to determine exactly what bacteria, if any, is there. If it is pasteurella, Baytril (and the sulfanomides such as Bactrim and Sulfatrim) are becoming increasingly ineffective as the bacteria mutates. Again, if it ispasteurella, azithromycin is the drug of choice currently to treat this bacteria. I am also always concerned when someone mixes herbal treatments with drugs. Many herbs can alter the desired effects of drugs. While I am not against herbal/holistic medicine at all...I would suggest caution in mixing the two treatments.

Pasteurella can't be techinically cured....but it can be put into a type of remission. And it doesn't take much of a reason for it to show itself....sometimes we have never found a reason for it's ongoing appearances. I am even more concerned with using Baytril again as you have already used it several times. It might be beneficial to discuss a different approach to this problem with your vet.

Randy

We already know it is pastueralla for sure. We did a deep nasal culture and it was definitely pastuerella. So far baytril seems to work well with us. I know pastuerella can't be cured, I am just looking for ways of preventing the recurrences and making them less common. I have also discussed the echinacea with the vet and determined that it is ok to use. We dont give it at the same time as the meds and it seems to help. Thanks for posting. :)

Latest posts

Back