another nic question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbit1

Reaction score
ok i am not handy and uncomfortable with power tools. so how would i cover the carpet with flooring where the cage is on the inside?:)and what type of flooring can i use is safe for a flemish's weight ? my room has carpeting all over but it is the loopy kind so i want to protect the carpet

I use Coroplast(corrugated plastic found at hardware stores) as the floor to my buns cage. Its cheap and easy to keep clean.

I"ve heard other people use linoleum, plywood, pegboard or old pieces of carpet.

No power tools involved. All I used to build my cage was the NIC panels, a piece of carpet to line the 2nd level, coroplast for the floor, cable ties and a utility knife to cut the carpet and corplast. Took about 2 hours to build it.

i was wanting something stronger then cloroplast. its for a flemish. so it has to be strong. any ideas for what to use that stronger then cloroplast ? that involves to no tools.

We used plywood/fiberboard and covered it with stick-on vinyl tiles. I would recommend that over carpeting, for cleaning sake. If you want them to have carpeting, put carpet sample squares over the tile. That way, if a section of carpeting gets messy, you can remove it. If it's stuck in the cage, it might be harder to clean.

If you really want carpeting, I would recommend shop carpeting (the heavy-duty stuff). It's low and there aren't really any loops for their toe nails to get caught on. You can install it with a staple gun. Just make sure that the staples are hidden and out of reach.

or can i use cloroplast as the cage floor but put peel n stick tiles over the cloroplast ? i am going to edit my 1st post in this topic as i worded it wrong;)

I don't know if any of those questions were towards me, but I can answer them, anyway :p

I don't know why you'd want to put the tiles over the coroplast. Coroplast itself (from my understanding) is easy-to-clean as it is.

If you are looking to make it more stable, wood is much sturdier. You can go to home depot and tell them what size sheet of wood you need, and they can cut it for you (no tool involved on your part!) :)

Then, you buy enough stick-on vinyl tiles to cover the wood. Those tiles are so easy-to-install, it's not funny. You peel off the back and stick it onto the wood like a giant, 12" sticker.

The hardest part is lining them up (and that was pretty easy, too!

But, if the vinyl tiles do not come out to the same size as the cage, you may need to cut the vinyl to size. We used a razorblade and just cut it along a straight edge (we used the sides of the wood as a straight edge). You could probably do the same with scissors.

Example of the tiles not fitting, you were mentioning making a 4x3x3 pen in another thread, correct? Then, you would need enough vinyl tile to cover a 4x3 NIC grid area (roughly 56"x42"). I've only found vinyl stick-on tiles in 12" square sizes. You would need to cut some of the tiles to size. If the cage is 56" long (4 grids) and you were using 12" tiles, four tiles would only go 48" across the bottom. You would need to cut about 4" off three tiles to get them to cover the whole bottom length-wise.

I hope this makes sense. If not, I can try and draw a diagram that might be a little easier to understand. :) I hope I didn't confused you too much!

I may have just confused myself! lol

I also use cloroplast, that I purchased from a sign making shop. It is VERY strong, and easy to clean. The rabbits don't bother with it. I have a 13lb NZ mix, and a mini rex.

Well when my buns were still with me this is hwat my NIC cage was like.

DSC05142.jpg

It was lined with lino
DSC00390.jpg

with cardboard underneath so the floor is leveled.
DSC05138.jpg

DSC05138.jpg

Then cut the sides of for the connectors.
DSC05141.jpg

This will help you.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=40627&forum_id=1

I personally do not have a n.i.c cage but I would reccomend office mats (there the plastic matts you put under wheeled chairs in an office..)

Latest posts

Back