Another newbie- first bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyRose

Reaction score
Hi from Cali!
Just got my first bunny a few days ago, have had many pets but this is my first bunny. I still am unsure of the sex and breed [adopted him from the pet store that i work at, the bunnies are all supposed to be male, but sadly we end up with females in the mix like 90% of the time]
I am referring to him as a male for now and named him Gandalf lol. I am guessing he is a Lionhead/Dwarf mix?
I have been letting him settle and not been disturbing him too much, but he seems to have a very sweet disposition! I plan to let him out tonight, see how he does.

Hope to learn a lot from this forum! And provide the best home possible for my new baby...wish I could have took in all the bunnies from the store, I always feel bad for them!

Anyway, heres Gandalf [also my avatar of course!]...
tigerlily8719
[/url]%20 %20 [/img]

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of information in the library section. I'm glad you could rescue one bunny from the cramped conditions etc at a pet store especially as Easter approaches.

Yes its very sad, we had 3 females have unplanned litters...I do all I can to make their lives better, but am just an employee...my boss is your typical business man.
With Easter approaching I shall make sure I educate those customers who are buying for gifts or just because the bunnies look cute.
I'm glad my little guy is safe with me! I will let you know how his first out-of-cage time goes!

Good Luck with your baby bunny
I am a newby too
I have 3 main Bunnies 2 Girls and 1 boy
The 2 girls are mothers and both have 1 babe each as I adopt baby bunnies out
Kim

Congratulations on your new bunny. Good for you to educate those who come to the pet store you work at Easter time for bunnies. You will definitely be a big help to those bunnies and to those people who don't realize what a bunny is.

Look forward to discussing all our favorite subject.. bunnies.

K:)

Thanks everyone! I just adore my little bunny...I let him out, at first he was unsure but once he was out he had so much fun exploring.
Hes great at being handled too...he will let me pet him, but was much more interested in exploring understandably lol!
He played this little game where he would hop over to me then get almost up to my lap...then bounce away! He kept doing it over and over!
Its like he knows how cute he is and decided it would be funny to tease me! :biggrin2:
Can't wait to let him play again today.
Heres a pic of him exploring our bed...[the pics are all thumbnails by the way, should be able to click them to enlarge still getting used to the forum lol]
tigerlily8719
[/url][/img]

OMG he's Beautiful.:big kiss::heartbeat::inlove:

Are those Blue eyes, I'm in Love. I must Bunny Nap him. :weee:

More pictures please. How old is he? Be careful giving him too many carrots if he's still quite young.

Susan:)

PS

BTW welcome to RO.

Thanks I know I LOVE his eyes! I adore PEW bunnies too...they have one at the store that is very tempting...but not knowing the sexes its too risky to adopt another, then I don't know how it would be if they are both males?? I heard they tend to fight.
I don't know his age but I know he is very much a baby!
Thanks for the tip about carrots, he actually refused to eat it so haven't given him anymore. Hes just been eating his rabbit food and Timothy Hay.

He seems to be very picky...at the moment I'm feeding him Russell Rabbit complete diet but he always leaves some of the afalfa pellets...I just noticed they have a Russell Rabbit junior food so am going to switch to that because he is younger than 4months.
Then I give him as much hay as he wants.
If you think this is a bad brand please I welcome your input...so far have heard good things about it, I know I didn't wanna feed Kaytee or any of the really cheap brands which is what they were feeding at the store.
My guinea-pig eats the Gerty Guinea-pig food by the same company.
Your opinions are all appreciated, thats why I joined the forum :)

Don't know the brand, but my Neville was switched from Manna Pro to Oxbow with no problem. Will be gradually switching Luna to it as well.

Neville loves Oxbow and has no problems with it. Also all my bunnies get Kay-Tee timothy hay which they like more than the Orchard Hay. They like the crunch.

K:)

Kay-tee's Timothy Complete pellets aren't too shabby, also.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on that wee ball o' fluff!

LOVE the name!

Oh I always thought Kaytee products were bad! I used to keep fancy rats and was always told to stay away from Kaytee...I just assumed their rabbit food wasn't good...glad to know thats not the case :)
This is the food I'm feeding http://www.supremepetfoods.com/product/russel-rabbit-complete-muesli/
It says it for all ages so maybe I won't need to switch? Am not sure if pet stores around here carry the junior formula...will have a look though.
Thanks I thought the name was a good fit hahaha!!! :biggrin:

Wow that is one cute bunny!! Such a little powder puff. :bunnyheart

I got my very first rabbit 6 months ago and have been very surprised by how great they are. You can learn a lot here and everyone is very open to answering your questions.

Good Luck
I am looking forward to seeing more pictures :D

Hi
Bunnies need natural foods. Quality green Hay, meadow or Timothy. Where I live meadow hay is easier to access. Good Quality pellets as much as they want until 8 months old then cut it back or they will put on too much weight( not good)
Fresh grass, Dandelion leaves,mint parsley,carrot tops,small amount of silver beet or spinach( 3-4 times a week only).
Mainly grass and Hay Hope that's useful
Kim:big wink:

He seems to be doing really well, getting bigger! Wonder how big hes going to get??? Hard not knowing the breed, but his short nose seems to indicate a dwarf.
Hes getting more and more confident too, but seems to have an independent personality!
More pics....lol, his eyes make him look like hes surprised all the time!

Back