Another Newbie and ๐Ÿฐ Here

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forums! Peanut is quite the handsome man!! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜
Thank you, he is a schmoozer LOL had my heart the moment I laid eyes on him. I didn't choose him for looks though, saved him from possible snake bait or who knows whatever else might have been in store for him. I wasn't his 1st or even 2nd owner. I will be his last as far as I can predict though! ๐Ÿฐ ๐Ÿ˜

Peanut is a beautiful bun and I can tell you're gonna be a great bunny mom based on the questions you're asking. He is in good hands. My advice is to find a hay he loves and make sure he eats plenty of it. And welcome to the bunny community!!!
-Cara
Thank you Cara, and a little back story about me. I am not a 1st time bunny mom. When I was about 10-12 my father had allowed us bunnies which we raised purely as pets and my brother and I thought it would be funny to put a small dwarf in with a larger white female we had and watch the box bounce around erratically:eek:๐Ÿ˜ต. Well many little buns were born and it was cold out, so unfortunately they all froze. Back in those days (early 80's) apprently not a lot was known as its so freely found here on the internet. Anyway my younger brother and I were so upset, so we took the frozen buns, wrapped them up in a warm little towel, put them in a shoe box, hopped on a city bus and took them to a very bad area in Miami where were lived to the Humane Society there because we thought they would give them a much better burial for them then we could have. Mind you we were very young, my younger brother 5 years younger than me so he was maybe 5 years old himself. Well fast forward, the big white momma bunny had another litter of little buns not long after that lived, and again...etc... She hadn't even needed to have been put with the buck again as far as we knew. For years I thought what I learned from my father, that bunnies held the baby making stuff in them and no further breeding with a buck was required and she could keep getting herself pregnant...still not sure about this??? But anyway...BOTTOM LINE... I have had bunnies before. Just now I know better and none of my furbaby are kept outside in the heat or cold. They are family and I won't put my family outside so they stay inside and are fed and cared for probably better than myself and my family. It's my mom, my husband and myself 2 dogs, 6 Kitties no younger than 5 and I believe the eldest is at least 14 or 15 now. Hubby and I never had HUMAN KIDS...not that we didn't want to...we feel we were just meant to care for the furry, feathered and or scaled ones. I've had just about everything.

So anyway I never think I know too much, always want to learn from others. It's awesome to always remain teachable about everything in life I think. I still don't trust myself even after I see or read something so I keep looking at all kinds of things. It's just my nature. So I really do appreciate everyone here, the posts and the help has been so amazing and better than anything I've found anywhere else. I do watch a few YouTube videos as well and that's always been a good way for this ol' gal to learn just about anything about anything. SO A Huge Thanks for the wonderful compliment, and advice about the hay. Just the same I thank you for the welcome too ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿค—๐Ÿฐ

Thank you, he is a schmoozer LOL had my heart the moment I laid eyes on him. I didn't choose him for looks though, saved him from possible snake bait or who knows whatever else might have been in store for him. I wasn't his 1st or even 2nd owner. I will be his last as far as I can predict though! ๐Ÿฐ ๐Ÿ˜

He sound like my boy Lucas, who was dumped twice by the same family, and got adopted out of my local rescue, just to be returned for "bad behavior". I can't imagine what bad behavior might be, he's just the sweetest little man ever! โ˜บ โ˜บ โ˜บ I'm not his first, but I'll be his last!

If you were wondering how a second batch of kits can be born later without the doe having been with a buck, rabbits have two uterine horns. So they can carry kits in each horn and give birth to a second batch of kits hours or even sometimes days later, from that first mating with the buck. Unless she had more litters after that. Then we know the explanation for that :)

Hope your little guy likes his new bed. My rabbits absolutely loved their doll bed. They would all snuggle up together on it.

Thank you Cara, and a little back story about me. I am not a 1st time bunny mom. When I was about 10-12 my father had allowed us bunnies which we raised purely as pets and my brother and I thought it would be funny to put a small dwarf in with a larger white female we had and watch the box bounce around erratically:eek:๐Ÿ˜ต. Well many little buns were born and it was cold out, so unfortunately they all froze. Back in those days (early 80's) apprently not a lot was known as its so freely found here on the internet. Anyway my younger brother and I were so upset, so we took the frozen buns, wrapped them up in a warm little towel, put them in a shoe box, hopped on a city bus and took them to a very bad area in Miami where were lived to the Humane Society there because we thought they would give them a much better burial for them then we could have. Mind you we were very young, my younger brother 5 years younger than me so he was maybe 5 years old himself. Well fast forward, the big white momma bunny had another litter of little buns not long after that lived, and again...etc... She hadn't even needed to have been put with the buck again as far as we knew. For years I thought what I learned from my father, that bunnies held the baby making stuff in them and no further breeding with a buck was required and she could keep getting herself pregnant...still not sure about this??? But anyway...BOTTOM LINE... I have had bunnies before. Just now I know better and none of my furbaby are kept outside in the heat or cold. They are family and I won't put my family outside so they stay inside and are fed and cared for probably better than myself and my family. It's my mom, my husband and myself 2 dogs, 6 Kitties no younger than 5 and I believe the eldest is at least 14 or 15 now. Hubby and I never had HUMAN KIDS...not that we didn't want to...we feel we were just meant to care for the furry, feathered and or scaled ones. I've had just about everything.

So anyway I never think I know too much, always want to learn from others. It's awesome to always remain teachable about everything in life I think. I still don't trust myself even after I see or read something so I keep looking at all kinds of things. It's just my nature. So I really do appreciate everyone here, the posts and the help has been so amazing and better than anything I've found anywhere else. I do watch a few YouTube videos as well and that's always been a good way for this ol' gal to learn just about anything about anything. SO A Huge Thanks for the wonderful compliment, and advice about the hay. Just the same I thank you for the welcome too ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿค—๐Ÿฐ
What an awesome story! I've talked to a lot of people who had bunnies when they were kids but they and their families didn't know how to care for them and they had bad experiences. I was one of them, I remember we kept a bunny in the garage and anytime we tried to touch him he'd try to bite. Well no wonder, bunnies weren't meant to be kept in the garage! Anyway, there's so much more information out there nowadays (and yes thank goodness for Youtube!) and I'm so glad we have this community to help each other. Because let's face it, we're all just doing our best and learning as we go. That's why I will never judge anyone who maybe isn't doing all the right things but they're trying their best and they mean well for the bun.

I hope you and Peanut are having a wonderful day! Can't wait to see more pics of him :)

What an awesome story! I've talked to a lot of people who had bunnies when they were kids but they and their families didn't know how to care for them and they had bad experiences. I was one of them, I remember we kept a bunny in the garage and anytime we tried to touch him he'd try to bite. Well no wonder, bunnies weren't meant to be kept in the garage! Anyway, there's so much more information out there nowadays (and yes thank goodness for Youtube!) and I'm so glad we have this community to help each other. Because let's face it, we're all just doing our best and learning as we go. That's why I will never judge anyone who maybe isn't doing all the right things but they're trying their best and they mean well for the bun.

I hope you and Peanut are having a wonderful day! Can't wait to see more pics of him :)
Thank you again Cara and so sorry I have allowed this message from you to go unlooked at. My husband had surgery on his neck and its been crazy around here since. Peanut is doing well, has half my studio to run around and binky in and he loves it. Has a few issues unneutered bucks will have but nothing I can't handle. The plan is to get him in to see the vet as soon as my husband is fully healed. It's not just my hubby but also my mom but Peanut is a joy and such a lover. He has no aggression towards me and loves on the stuffed hedgehog and a few other stuffed animals he has. It's fun seeing him run and binky around with them in his mouth as he carries them and plays. He's my buddy and a few times a couple of my kitties have gone into his caged area when I was cleaning up and he and they get along really well. I was afraid he would mount one of them because they are both girls though fixed, or maybe they are lifelike stuffed animals he loves to play with, but he didn't bother with them. Would not leave them alone in any case for safety of all of them. I just feel that whomever had him did so since he was very young and wonder how his life would have been if only they kept him and got him neutered.

Hope all is well, again I am sorry for the long delay in my reading this and replying.

No worries at all. I pray for a speedy recovery for your husband and your mother. It sounds like Peanut is just a happy bun who knows how to keep himself entertained! That in itself is a blessing. He's in good hands :)

Latest posts

Back