Another lump found

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foofy

Reaction score
Had to take my Crunchie bunny to the vets againthis evening. She had a mammary tumour removed a few weeksago and also 3 other small lumps which were harmless.

I noticed on Saturday that another lump about the size of a pea hadcome up on the side of one her hind legs. Thank goodness:)it was not another tumour but an abcess I have no idea howshe got it! Anyway the abcess was burst and all the puss squeezed outyuk!! She now has a hole in her leg! She is back on the antibioticsagain! And I have to bathe the wound in salt water and keep squeezingout any puss.

She is going back to the vet again on Saturday for another miteinjection and also her VHD jab and to get her abcess checkedagain. I think my vet was right when he said that whenrabbits get sick they usually get really sick!

She is being spoilt now even more than usual! Have bought hersome oats after reading they love them on this forum and sure enoughshe seems to really like them. I am so glad now that she is a reallygreedy bunny as it has not been a problem to get her to eat through allher troubles lately!!

Anyone have any experience of abcesses in bunnies? My vetsays that they are very common in rabbits as their puss is so thickthat it can't drain away as well as in other species where it is morerunny.

Will keep you posted on how she is doing.

Sue, Crunchie & Benjy

Oh, that's great news, Foofy! I was worried when I opened this postthat it was going to be bad news. I was bracing myself to startsupporting you. It seems Crunchie's going to be just fine.

Abcesses are common. I know it's nasty to observe. Cheesy looking that pus is, hm?

Well at least she's going to feel a lot better now and so will you knowing what it is you're dealing with.

Do keep us posted on how she heals. That's the good stuff we want to know about!

You can tell Crunchie to stop scaring you now and just be Crunchie again; Troublemaker that she is.

Relax and Enjoy! You deserve it.

:dude:

-Carolyn

I believe the key to recovery is getting rid ofall purulent(pus) substances as completely as you can, or suffer arelapse. It is yucky to work with, but I believe our rabbitsknew we were trying to help them, even when the treatment hurt a bit,like squeezing the pus out.

Keep up the good work. Best of luck and prayers go with you from here.

Buck

Thanks for the support Carolyn & Buck.

Yeah the puss is really cheesy isn't it yuk!! Gave her some antibioticslast night on grated carrot! Have squeezed out a very small bit of pussthis morning and bathed with the salt water. Just given her somecarrots and a few oats for being a good girl!

Like you say have been told I must get all the horrible stuff outotherwise the abcess will just come back again. Will let youknow how she gets on. She seems to be loving all the extra attention!

Sue, Crunchie & Benjy

aww poor little bunny! and poor you! im sorry you guys are going through so much lately!

glad to hear that everythin is getting taken care of! hope she has a speedy recovery!!

Just a quick update on Crunchie. Took her back tothe vet last Saturday and had her abcess checked again. All is well! Ithas healed up nicely and there is no longer a lump there thankgoodness. Have one more day of antibiotics left to go hooray!

Both Bunnies have one more mite injection left to have and then thatwill be the end of our trips to the vet for a while hopefully!! Ireally hope so after all Crunchies troubles lately bless her!

Sue

Thank you, Foofy!!

Good Job being a mom and dealing with the doctor's and medication, theanger, and the fears. Thanks so much for coming back to tell us thegood news. I was worried when I saw this post resurface again.

Good Work!

-Carolyn

Its heartwarming to read about something that wewould neverimagine we would have to do (ewww, cheesy pus) andthen going to on read about recovery~nice "mom" work Sue! You havelucky kids:)

Cher

Back