Another ID The Breed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k9resqer

Reaction score
Hi

Hoping I can get some input from the experts out there. Having some debate on whether this little guy is a wild rabbit, or an agouti colored domestic rabbit. If domestic, any suggestions on breed/mix? I’ll share his story in the introductions posts and you’ll understand why it’s been a little confusing.

Thanks for any help!

Tina

4T7Zr.jpg

4UQeA.jpg

I never posted in intro's, just started participating in the forum, no biggie.

Without knowing the rabbits origin its hard too say, it does look like a cottontail but could just be a chestnut agouti mix of some sort. More input will be great.

Just got my intro to post (finally). But basically, a good samaritan rescued Bunny from being killed by some obnoxious children. So his background is entirely unknown. His agouti coloring suggests wild, but his incredibly tame personality suggests domestic. Had a biologist see pictures and voted for domestic. So if that's the case, I just wonder what breeds may be contributing.

I'd say definitely domestic, based on the disposition you explained and also his body build. He looks much shorter and stockier than the common American Cottontail. :)

Agreeing with above...the body is to stout and the head to thick to be wild. although, i have NO idea what breed he/she could be...sometimes its easier to tell when thier older.

how big is the bun now? for some reason i almost wanna say maybe theres chinchilla in it or some other medium breed...so he/she may end up being larger

Do you have any other photos you can post (like a front and side view of the rabbit in a normal position?) The top photo isn't showing up for me. Randy deals with a lot of wild rabbits, so may be of some help in identification.

Also - what area do you live in?

Pam

RexLovables wrote:
you dont have a post in the intro yet?
.......:?
Its not required to post in the intro ya know. Thats only if people want to post an intro. Just letting you know that its nothing to get confused over........

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions about this little guy. Unfortunately, Bunny didn't make it. He was injured on Sunday and came into the shelter on Monday. Monday and Tuesday he was eating well. He even got up and moved around some. I was really starting to feel optimistic about his recovery. Wednesday he wouldn't eat and by Wednesday evening he was gone.

I'm really bummed out, I was already making plans on upgrading him from temporary housing in a dog rate to a real cage (not to mention finding the right name for him). But it just wasn't meant to be. He's now buried under my bedroom window where he'll never be forgotten. And at least I know that in his final days he was warm, safe and had a full belly.

But thanks to this guy, I've been seriously bitten by the bunny bug. I had rabbits for 4H 30 years ago, but I've never had a house rabbit. I really think a Flemish Giant would fit in with my crew. I'm scoping out the local rabbit rescues and I've even been in touch with a FG breeder who will be attending a show near me in a few weeks.

I'll be lurking around the forum for a bit and will hopefully post more if/when I have a new addition to brag about. Thanks again everyone for all the help!

Latest posts

Back