Another bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leowyldemi

Reaction score
well it's been 4 years this past christmas eve since howie passed away, and i cn finnally think about him without bursting into tears.
We went to a local pet store and they had a little lionhead there that i swear was howie's twin!
he was a breeder so he was not up for adoption, but they bred him with this little orange sweetheart of a bunny named mama,(i think she was a rex of some sort? i don't know, i know there is a breed of bunny that is orange, but i can't remember the breed's name at the moment) and the last time i was there she had just had the babies.
so depending on whether they had any lionhead traits(i.e fluffiness) i was considering bringing one home, the problem is we have 2 guinea pigs and a chinchilla, and while we certainly have room and i have time for a bunny, i don't know if it would be in the best intrest to bring one home with so many other animals that need my time and care. and i know deep in my heart it wouldn't be howie, but it's so so tempting.

It is so hard to lose them. I lost my bun not too long ago, but had gotten a baby bun like 2 days before. So it was strange for me to have this new baby that I didn't know and to lose the bun I had had for over 2 years. I did make comparisons and I did have problem in the beginning but it got easier. I realized that my baby bunny WAS a different bunny and she wasn't going to act the same or do the same things. She has been a total learning experience for me, but I do love her.

You have to figure out if you have the time, space, funds and love for another bunny, and if you feel like you can handle it. Then go for it! If you do though, I would ask whoever you're getting the bun from, that if for some reason you can't care for him, if they can take it back. And if you get a new bun and feel like you don't "like" it or whatever because it is different than Howie, just keep up with it. You'll start to find traits of the new bun that you'll start to like. Thats what I had to do, I had to tell myself everyday that Ellie is NOT Foo and she never will be. Then I started looking for the things that I loved about Ellie. And now, I really love her and she has become such a great rabbit.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck! We're all here for you!

Yes, good advice from whitelop. Each rabbit is so very unique. You don't want to be disappointed by expecting your new one to behave like Howie. Each rabbit I've had has been so very different. I've definitely had my favorites and seem to always be looking for those same traits in other buns but they are never the same.

I don't know, but you may want to consider getting a bun that doesn't look like Howie. That may help prevent you from expecting new bunny to behave like Howie.

I think many of us have multiple other pets too. It really depends on your comfort level with how much time/maintenance you are ok with.

It's so hard when you lose a bunny that you're so attached to. Our avatar Nikki looks just like a little one we lost after only 8 months, Nik-Nik. I think they may be related, but from a litter a year apart. In some ways they are similar but still oh so different. Still, they are so easy to fall for.

The pet store bred the rabbits?!

Our local one does this all the time unintentionally because no one can sex the babies properly. So many customers come back a week or so later saying they have multiplied and they need help! :pullhair:

These are usually babies of two siblings...

Pet stores aren't the only ones that can't tell one sex from the other. We got Nik-Nik from the Tracy shelter and the ad they had in the penny saver said "mixed, male, mini.....". When I got her, she was named "Nick" but that changed when I checked her 3 days later. DUH!

whitelop gave great advice about whether to bring a new rabbit home. :)

I would add that if you're considering a new addition, you look into rescues or reputable breeders in your area. A rescue may have a bunny in need, with the characteristics you are searching for. They often come spayed or neutered, and offer the option for rabbits to come back if things don't quite work out as you had planned. Working with a reputable breeder is a great option too. They work hard to raise healthy rabbits with good temperaments, and the characteristics of their rabbits will closely mirror the breed standard. So if you're looking for a Lionhead, it will be easier to choose a kit with those features.

Back