Another bun with goopy poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdieRabbitsMom

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know if eating grass has anything to do with it, but the past two times I have put my Edie outside to eat grass and get exercise, she has gotten poopy butt.These were not two consecutive days in a row,as it was raining too hard to put her out yesterday.Both days, I took her inside and gave her a butt bath and her poopswere just fine after that. I just started putting her outside a little bit since the weather is starting to turn nice again.

Ironically, she used to live outside until I rescued her from our neighbors. Now she is indoors most of the time. She is eating and drinking fine...very upset that I didn't give her a couple of raisins tonight, though. I can't say that anythingelse in her diet orroutine have changed. Any thoughts?

She isdoingfine now....poops are normal sized and solid. She does not enjoy butt baths, though, so if anyone has any solutions to helpprevent this,wewould both appreciate it. She does like togroom me as I'm drying her off, though, which is so darn cute and I love bunny kisses!Itold her she is welcome to give me those without having to go through thewhole butt bath ordeal, though, in caseshe is doing this on purpose just to have a reason to groom me.:bunnyheart

Thanks in Advance!:thanks:

~Sandy and Edie

I think this could be due to a change in envrionment. Sometimes, change in general, will put just enough stress to a bun, that this side effect will occur. Best things to do are hydrate and have tons of hay available and a hidey part of an enclosure. Slow down the changes. I wouldn't keep disrupting it so to say. They like to be used to something they can trust. Does that make sense?

Thanks...I'll put a box in the pen for her to hide in. She seems so happy when I put her out there, though. Is it okay to do that or should I just keep her inside? I love seeing her out there b/c she seems so excited to get to eat grass.

Where are you located?

Spring grass can be especially problematic for buns because they're not used to it and it's pretty rich.

Chances are the grass is the culprit and its a diet issue, although she could have also picked up an internal parasite and (I think) even a virus. EG: Grassy areas near raccoon droppings can be deadly, a raccoon parasite lives in the grass a long time though all kinds of weather and isvery dangerous if picked up by a rabbit.

Sounds like hayand water is your best course of action, as noted above.I doubt stress is an issue.

I wouldn't deprive her of hergrassy runs, I'd just start her off slowly withlimited time out, or at least limited grass consumption.

Is she sensitive to veggies or anything else?

sas :bunnydance:

I'm in Knoxville, TN. We live in a subdivision and put her playpen out in our front yard, right beside the door so that we can keep an eye on her if we are inside. Also, I did switch her food from Nutriphase to Nutriphase Gold...has sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, oats, dried carrots, etc., so maybe that could have something to do with it as well. She seems fine after we bring her inside and clean her up, though. I don't want to limit her from going outside, as I think the sunshine and grass are good for her. She seems to love it out there and when the kids in the neighborhood come over to visit her, she is ALL over them...loves them. It is quite funny to watch her. I'm keeping an eye on her poos though. Thanks!

The shift in pellets might be a factor as well. It looks like that food has a bunch of "treats" in it as well as the pellets. A good quality pellet should be just the pellet with no seeds or colourful bits in it. You want to have high fiber and low protien for an adult rabbit, preferably timothy if possible.

Take a look at the Feeding Thread in the Rabbit101 section:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

If you do any pellet changes, make sure to transition gradually.

--Dawn

Ditto to everything Pip and Aurora said. Go easy on the grass for a while- maybe cut a handful and give it to her once in a while to start with. And definitely switch back to a plain pellet. All those treats could definitely be a factor, and I have seen other rabbits get diarrhea from that type of food.

Thanks everyone....I'm definitely switching back. I thought it was supposed to be better for her, as it was marketed that way. I do think that it is probably the pellets b/c I put have put her outside (anytime it is sunny and between 55-80 degrees F)many times before with no problems. She loves it out there. She seems fine right now, btw. Thanks for all of the advice.:D

Yeah, one thing I've learned is to not listen to marketing for pet products. Always check it out and learn from places not run by pet food/product manufacturers. They just want you to buy their stuff, they don't actually care about the health and wellbeing of your pets.

green grass will give a bunny loose stool.You have to introduce it a little at a time

Back