Ani's goes to the vet today..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinLops

Reaction score
Ani* goes to the vet today.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpW6x1-_AsQ&feature=plcp[/ame]

Something is going on with his back/hind legs. If we're lucky, an apparently highly recommended vet will see us today. Advice as to which questions I should ask? How were you sure you trusted your vet? Just really uneasy about the whole situation and would appreciate your feedback.

I understand your feeling nervous, but knowing what is wrong really is necessary. Let us know what you find out. Don't decide right away how to proceed with the information you are given unless it's an infection or something where immediate action makes sense.

I just watches your video. It breaks my heart to see your little Ani like that. I think your doing the right thing by going to see your vet. Ani is mobile and looks very happy! I think your doing a great job :) Keep us posted as to what your vet says. I think as long as there is eating, drinking, pooping and peeing going on, you should be ok :)

Questions to ask...

Is the spine ok

since there is feeling and motion in the hind legs is there a chance that in the future walking normally would happen

Signs you should look for in case it (whatever diagnosis is) gets worse

What precautions you should use to make sure the legs aren't injured such as rug burn, wearing off the hair etc.

What effects can this have on his organs (being bumped etc. on the tummy a lot)

Was this genetic or likely an injury

what are the chances that whatever it is will spread farther up his body

Should you change his diet any due to his lessened ability to exercise.

I am LIVID. I don't know what kind of breeder I went to, but apparently she doesn't know the first thing about rabbits. Anakin happens to be female, not male. I specifically wanted a male so I wouldn't have the added stress of a long recovery after being put under. She even has PAPERS! Saying she is MALE! And after looking at x-rays, it's apparent that she has scoliosis. No spine injuries were present, just the dip in her spine which is definitely due to genetics. How could a breeder miss this? I'm so mad at her! I feel like I should tell the world to save themselves the trouble and money and look elsewhere.

On a different note, my vet was incredible. She made me feel more confident when handling my baby, showed me numerous physical therapy routines, and really cared about my babe. As soon as we knew she was in no pain, the vet commented on how active my baby was and told us she would not condone putting her down(which I wouldn't do anyway). I feel much better now that we have a routine we can follow, a vet we can call, and that I know I'm doing everything I can to make baby happy and healthy. There is a chance that this will progress, and the vet thought it odd to see scoliosis like this in such a young bun, but I'm keeping an eye on her and we'll do whatever we have to keep her happy.

Not sure what to do about the name though, possibly just go with Ani, but I guess we'll see.
I can't quit calling her 'him'

Aww... at least you know now whether is and its not an illness ... hopefully she will continue to be so active and happy. In not sure if there is anything you can do about the breeder though. Sad they are not battering the breed like they should. Maybe some of the great breeders here can give more info on that.

If she gets to a point where her legs won't work, you can always look into a dog cart. Lots of different sizes, and u-tube has bunnies motoring around the yard using them. She is lucky to have found you. There is a support group online for disabled bunnies that you may want to look into. They have lots of suggestions on therapy and care. I pray that you will never need this, but it is there if you do.

I agree the breeder doesn't sound very good. I would send her a letter she'll have to sign for giving a copy of the vet's information that it's genetic. It might make her stop breeding the rabbits she was using.

However, it's often difficult to sex a very young rabbit.

But otherwise it sounds like the vet visit went very well & you have found a good resource in her care.

Sometimes rabbits aren't real easy to sex when they're young. Some breeders have a knack for it when kits are as young as 2-3 weeks old. That's not what bothers me the most, it'sthat your rabbit's condition is genetic. That breeder should NOT be breeding the parent who passed this on. I still wonder if she didn't already know this. Grrrr! It's people like this who give breeder's a bad name. :X

I was told a cart would be a good idea if the muscle atrophy gets worse in her hind quarters. As long as she isn't in pain, I'll get her whatever she needs. When my vet showed me how to tell the difference between male and female, it was OBVIOUS she was a girl. Without a doubt. I got her when she was 11 weeks old or so(2 weeks ago). Is it always that difficult to tell at11 weeks as opposed to 13 weeks? I still can't believe she's a she lol. Even though things aren't working out how I'd planned , I feel like I was meant to get her. She requires a lot of patience, but she's worth it.

I kept thinking there was a site I came across months ago that had information about rabbits with various mobility issues & today I happened upon it again.

It's catsandrabbitsandmore.com.

probably just me being paranoid, but I had this kind of thing with my bun a few months back. Was the trouble with her back legs always aparent? or did it just come on? It's just Lex had all this, and the x-ray, and the x-ray showed he had a bit of a dodgy spine, but it turned out it wasn't that causing his problems, he had a parasite called e.cuniculli that had made his brain swell and was compromising his movement. it got worse and worse until he was almost totally paralysed and all he needed was a 28 day course of panacur to kill the parasite. It's really common and most rabbits keep it at bay through their immune system, but pedigree buns can have compromised immune systems, as Lex did, and it nearly did him in before I got a lucky diagnosis. Google e. Cuniculli and see if the description sets off warning bells. panacur's only a wormer so it shouldn't do your bun any harm even if it's not e.c Better safe than sorry. Trust me you'd want to catch it early - I had paralysed diva rabbit on my hands for 3 months - he had to have a nappy and everything, and when he wanted something he'd grunt crazy loud and wake me at 3 in the morning ( I was so worried about him that he was sleeping next to me in a pile of towels )
Good luck

Is there any way to file a complaint with ARABA about the breeder? I would hope they respond to the letter, but if they don't I would try contacting ARABA to see if you can at least get the information added in a file or something.

It sounds like this is a case of poor breeding and they really need to stop using the parents. :(

Back