Angora rabbits and infant/child adoption

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyBlessings

Katherine
Reaction score
Ok, I've shared a few times here that I have been wanting an angora rabbit for years. I've been reading articles, posting here, watching videos on how to care for them so I can be ready if that time ever comes. But I also want to be a mother..:hearts:

However, my husband and I are infertile and are hoping to eventually adopt either through foster care or through embryo adoption or donation. If you aren't familiar with embryo adoption, let me explain. When infertile couples go through IVF (in vitro fertilization) there is often a surplus of embryos that have been created. Couples choose to either freeze them for later births, donate them towards scientific research, destroy them (this breaks my heart!), or adopt/donate them out to other infertile couples. Embryo donation takes place at regular fertility clinics, but there is no home study involved and the child has no access to the biological parents whatsoever. There is no background screening on the parents, no negotiation between the families to ensure that the child will be placed in a good home. However, embryo adoption facilities treat this process like a traditional adoption, complete with home studies, background checks, etc. It is more expensive to do it this way, but I think it is much more in the child's best interest.

It costs anywhere from $3,000-$12,000 to go through this process, but it's not covered by insurance. However, the pregnancy rate is far more successful than IVF. If my husband and I can ever raise enough money to do this, it really would be a dream come true. :hearts: I have no brothers or sisters and none of my cousins have children. My family will become extinct if I don't have a child somehow! :( We are also still looking at doing foster care, but we have other family living with us currently, so we don't have enough space to do the home study yet. I'm hoping this will change by next May.

Ok, now throw angoras into the mix! Suppose that while I'm waiting to become a mother, knowing that it will probably be years before this dream comes true, I decide that I really want an angora bunny, in addition to the bunny I already have. Would it be worth it to invest in a bunny now, given all the upkeep it requires? If I ever became pregnant, would my own baby be safe? Would I be able to keep up with an infant or toddler with an angora in the house? Is it either a bunny or a baby, or can the two live peacefully together? Also, with foster care, I'd be taking in very troubled children who have severe emotional or behavioral problems as a result of the abuse or neglect that they have suffered. Moreover, because embryo adoption is similar to IVF, twins and triplets can result from this! I know this would drive me crazy, but it would be so worth it all.. :sigh:

So.. has anyone else here been in similar situations? How did you handle it, what did you do?

Your ability to continue caring for your rabbit and a possible future angora as well as a child is really up to you. I know some breeders who continue to show and breed when they have young kids, it just becomes part of the routine. If you aren't up to the full grooming for a while after the birth, you could just keep the rabbit clipped short. Having someone who can help out at the beginning can be a huge help as well, even if it is just making sure the rabbits and fed and cleaned. You just need to find a way to make it work.

I have not heard of any issues associated with rabbits and pregnant women. I know cats can carry a parasite, but even then it can be worked with to minimize risk. Just general cleanliness can go a long way. Again, many people with pets have children and it works out.

With kids of any age, you do need to set some boundaries regarding pets. Infants aren't going to do much, but toddlers need to be taught to be gentle and how to be around pets in a calm manor. Kids and animals can live together, there just needs to be some precautions. For foster kids, having animals can help them. Again, there would need to be rules, but having a calm bunny to pet can help troubled kids. Some kids might benefit from taking care of a pet and having some responsibility. I am not sure if you can stipulate too much with foster kids, but something might be worked out. Knowing you have pets might mean you don't get a kid with allergies or a history of issues with animals.

It is good that you are thinking about this now. Angoras can be a fair amount of work, but I don't think wanting kids should deter you from getting an angora. You could get an adult rabbit and not have a kid for another 5 years.
Ultimately, you would have to make choices for what would work best for you. You do need to think about what would be best for a rabbit as well as a child. At least try to make it work. So many people just assume it won't work out, so once a baby comes along, the pets have to go. It can work, but like anything, takes effort and work.

It is really up to you what you think you can handle. If you are super overwhelmed by the idea of two rabbits and a baby you can hold off on getting the angora. I do not have experience with angoras, but I do have two rabbits and two small children. I also have other pets - a guinea pig and two cats. My husband is very busy with work, and home repairs etc, so I am completely responsible for the care of the pets, and am a stay at home mom. My daughters are 2 and 4. They are both animal lovers, and very good with the bunnies. I do watch my 2 year old more closely with the buns, as she does try to pick them up, is a little too loud sometimes, and needs reminders to be gentle.

I agree with the previous poster that you could keep the angoras coat short. I have a friend who has an angora and she keeps his hair cut short for a lot of the year. She also has a 4 year old and is pregnant. This is just to say that angoras can be family pets.

As far as the safety of the child with having rabbits - the only issue I can see is if the child was allergic to rabbits. From what I undertsand many people who are allergic to cats are also allergic to rabbits. This is not something you can predict so I am not sure what you could do about that. Otherwise I think it is very unlikely for a rabbit to harm a child. I worry more about my children hurting the rabbits, for the reasons I mentioned above about my two year old.

Our rabbits are a really sweet part of our family, and the kids and I love them a lot. They do require a commitment of time and money, but it is worth it for us. Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Latest posts

Back