Angora ate some of his wool

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was trimming my English Angoras wool, and to my horror he picked up a mouthful from the table, ran off with it, and ate it! I manage to get what was hanging from his mouth away from him, but he still chewed on and swallowed quite a lot.

Should I be worried? Am I over reacting by posting this question?

He's never done this before so I didn't think to move the wool out of his reach. I'm worried about stasis or wool block, is there anything I can do to help it all pass through him?

Depends how much he ate. A big glob could pose a risk of causing a gut slowdown and possible GI stasis. So no, you aren't overreacting.

Best thing to help move gut contents through is good quality grass hay, in particular the hard crunchy stems. As it's the indigestible fiber that helps stimulate gut motility. Also good hydration is important. Then just keeping watch on eating amounts and poop size and quantity. If appetite is reduced and/or poop size gets significantly smaller and less, then your vet can prescribe a gut stimulant to help with gut motility. Or if you're concerned about stasis being a risk now, you could talk to your vet and maybe the vet will prescribe a gut stimulant before stasis can set in. Just depends on how big of a glob of fur was ingested.

Depends how much he ate. A big glob could pose a risk of causing a gut slowdown and possible GI stasis. So no, you aren't overreacting.

Best thing to help move gut contents through is good quality grass hay, in particular the hard crunchy stems. As it's the indigestible fiber that helps stimulate gut motility. Also good hydration is important. Then just keeping watch on eating amounts and poop size and quantity. If appetite is reduced and/or poop size gets significantly smaller and less, then your vet can prescribe a gut stimulant to help with gut motility. Or if you're concerned about stasis being a risk now, you could talk to your vet and maybe the vet will prescribe a gut stimulant before stasis can set in. Just depends on how big of a glob of fur was ingested.
Thank you for your advice :) I've been keeping a close eye on him and he's doing fine, thankfully. I'm going to be monitoring him more closely for a while, just in case. And ALWAYS going to move his trimmed wool aside in the future!

Back