An Inconvenient Truth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyPot

Reaction score
So last night, I wenttothelecture given by Al Gore on GlobalWarming. He did the presentation at U of T (University ofToronto - my Alma Mater) and Neil's brother got tickets for all of usto go for my birthday (which is in a couple weeks).

Apparently the lecture sold out in 3 minutes of tickets going up on sale.

It was totally worth it. He is an amazing speaker,surprisingly funny and very very intelligent. The worldwouldhave been a much different place if he had become the USPresident way back when.

If you have not yet rented the movie An Inconvenient Truth- please PLEASE do so tonight. It's importantfor every person in the world to see this movie and takeaction. The documentary is astounding and really hits home.

This movie has nothing to do with politics, so if you are a democrat, arepublican or something in between - as long as you live on the planetearth, you NEED to be a part of this.

It's an important topic, and it's fact - there is no debate that any of this is true. It's TRUE.

Just some facts from thelecture (which is thesubject of the documentary)

- The number of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes has almost doubled in thelast 30 years. In fact, theyare considering re-doing thescale for hurricanes because just recently, thereare nowhurricanesthat are bigger than the highest Category 5.

- The flow of ice from glaciers in Greenland has more than doubled overthe past decade. If 1/2 the ice of Greenland and 1/2 the iceof the Antarctic melts into the world's oceans (whichithappening as I write this), it will raisesealevel by several feet. This wipes out most of Florida, a lotof Manhattan, Shanghai, Bombay and surrounding areas,most ofEurope.... it's already happening.

- 10 of the hottest years recorded in all of history happened in the last 14 years!!

- Tens of thousands of people died in Europe due to the heat waves theyhave been having over the past couple years. It's scary.

I could go on - but just rent the movie.

All the tools we need to stop this from happening are alreadyavailable, we just have to all make an effort to reduce our CO2emissions through smart use of electricity and being smart consumers -every little bit counts.

This has beena topic on the forefront of my mind for a whilenow, and Neil and I are already doing things around the house to reduceour CO2. We've changed all our lightbulbs to the energyefficient flourescents. We're insulating our attic.We're only driving one car to work instead of 2 as we usedto.We've lowered our thermostat by 2 degrees andwe've installed a programmable thermostat that regulates the temp atnight.

Here's a link toinformation on the site for what you can do to help:
http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeaction/whatyoucando/

Save the Earth for the bunnies!!!

I agree with you there Nadia, my family aretrying to go as green as possible. If this is global warming then it'shappening at an alarming rate, for instance in England we have had oneof the hottest summers on record and a very mild winter. Basically it'slike we're turning into a Mediterranean climate, hot summers and mildrainy winters. It's quite scary really.:shock:

The thing is we can all do our little bit to help but if the bigindustrial powers of the world don't stop pumping out as much CO2 thenunfortunately we're not going to make a big difference.:?

Global warming my be happening, but I don'tbelieve that humans are causing it if it is. Marsis heating up too. Those martians really need to stop drivingSUVs:disgust:

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy off on Al Gore. Maybe I willwhen he stops flying in jets that use up more fuel in a flight then my15 passenger van using in a year I'll start believing he is seriousabout global warming.:rant:

Well... yes and no. We need to takeaction at home because really - every little bit does help, the averagenorth american produces 7.5 tons of CO2 a year.

Not only that, we need to sign petitions, getinvolvedandpay attention to politics (and VOTE) forthose thatwill take action to regulate the output of CO2 bythese big corporations.

WE have to demand that something be done by buying cars with loweremissions (unfortunately, these are NOT North American made cars),buying from stores that are supporting green (like Walmart surprisinglyenough), buying products with less packaging... as consumers, we canforce change, but it takes a committment from everyone.

Ok - sorry for the ranting now..

:)

_________
Nadia

Sorry Aina - this isn't something that Al Goremade up unfortunately. He's just a face that is making peopleaware. If you read the facts, without any input from Al Gore,it says the same thing.

Scientists all over the world are saying the same things, forget thepoliticians, go to the smart people who actually know what they'retalking about. No one that has any knowledge about thescience disagrees, it's not a debate really.

But there are other things that go against humaninfluence in global warming. Greenland's interior ice isgrowing. And Volcanoes and cow farts are far biggerfactors contributing to global warming than human activity, that therate of warming has slowed in the last thirty years, that the earthstarted to warm up this time before the Industrial Age, or thatclimatologists (sp?) as recently as twenty years ago were predicting alooming ice age (some still are).

Also, if you look at graphs, it uses one type of measuement to tell thetempature before the 1900s and then they use the modren way.At the time we started measuring it the modren way that is where the'elbow' of the graph is. My father is acollage professor and has to do a lot of research. If hesubmitted a graph like the ones who advocate global warming do, itwould be rejected imediatly because if you use two diferent types ofmeasurment the you will get diferent results, so it cannot be accurate.

We should be responsible stewards of the Earth, but we should notover-estimate our ability to influence something as dynamic and complexas global climate.

HoneyPot wrote:
Save the Earth for the bunnies!!!
:yeahthat:lol

We're trying to be green too:D, but when you think about it there isactually no point, if all UK CO[suB]2 [/suB]emissions were stopped itwould make absolutely no difference.

Unfortunately it is America, India and China that are the bigproblems:?Especially India and China, their industry isgrowing at such a fast rate, they won't stop.:cry4:

Aina wrote:
Butthere are other things that go against human influence in globalwarming. Greenland's interior ice is growing.And Volcanoes and cow farts are far bigger factorscontributing to global warming than human activity, that the rate ofwarming has slowed in the last thirty years, that the earth started towarm up this time before the Industrial Age, or thatclimatologists (sp?) as recently as twenty years ago were predicting alooming ice age (some still are).

Also, if you look at graphs, it uses one type of measuement to tell thetempature before the 1900s and then they use the modren way.At the time we started measuring it the modren way that is where the'elbow' of the graph is. My father is acollage professor and has to do a lot of research. If hesubmitted a graph like the ones who advocate global warming do, itwould be rejected imediatly because if you use two diferent types ofmeasurment the you will get diferent results, so it cannot be accurate.

We should be responsible stewards of the Earth, but we should notover-estimate our ability to influence something as dynamic and complexas global climate.

*shrug* Can't convince the unconvinceable, so I'm not goingto try. This is all just my opinions and beliefs, don't meanto start any kind of political debate.

But I know about Greenland, and it's increasing at the interior as yousaid, but it's decreasing and melting at the edges and the runoff ishigher than the rate of increase. And the shifting of surface ice isreal. Also, it is increasing due to more precipitation because of thehigher temperatures. You don't have to believe me, just lookit up.

Cow farts - there are more cows in the world because there are morehumans raising cows in the world. Those wild cows - they'renot contributing so much, infact - is there such a thing as a wild cowanymore? Volcanoes are a part of nature - the balance ofnature can handle volcanos, it can't handle 9 billion humans lightingfires and driving Hummers and cutting down trees ...

There are 9 billion people in the world... that's the highestpopulation the earth has ever had to sustain.. ever... you really thinkthat 9 billion people are affecting the climate of the earth is anover-estimation?

Either way, I don't think it would hurt for everyone to be more aware -yes, things need to be taken with a grain of salt - but really...really??

EDIT: Sorr if this is an uncomfortable topic for anyone, i didn't meanit to be. I just thought that it was a topic that more peopleshould look into and make up their own minds. I just figurethat we can all do nothing and watch the world heat up or we could dosomething small and contribute. We solved the crisis with theOzone layer .. just thought we are all capable of doing something aboutthis too.

I don't think it's an uncomfortable topic asmuch that it is a topic most of us have strong beliefs on either sideof the arguement. Kind of like anything involving politcs or religion,discussions regarding these can turn good friends into enemies. Just athought.

Sorry if it felt like I was attackingyou. I just enjoy to debate, sometimes maybe alittle too much. Actually An Inconvenient Truth comesto an ok conclsion that people should take care of the world,I just don't agree with how it gets there.
Actually there are just a little under 6.6 billion people in the world.

Yes, An Inconvenient Truth makes a good argument, but so does State of Fear

I believe that we should take care of what we have, and we shouldconstantly be looking for more economical ways to use the resourcesthat have been given to us. I think that there should bechecks and balences and that we should have people concerned about theenviroment, so America wont turn into China, who are totally dstroyingtheir inviroment and 80% of their people are starving because of it andthe fact that they are comunists.
But, I believe the enviroment people should use common sense so that we don't totoally mess up our economy to save a few trees.

So maybe I have been listening to my brothers talk radio a little tomuch. I don't try to! It is just in the same room as thecomputer.

No no, I didn't feel like you were attacking me- I enjoy the debate as well, I just didn't want to make youuncomfortable - or other people on the board who are reading it.

;)

All I have to say is we should save more trees. The poor animals need them.

Aina wrote:
Yes, An Inconvenient Truth makes a goodargument, but so does State of Fear

I totally agree - michael moore does make a really good comparisonbetween eugenics and global warming in the political areana.It really is important to do research outside of what politicianssay. It's sort of the whole "church and state" thing andkeeping them seperate. Politicians are never out to "save theworld". But I do think that if the science - outside thepolitical support - points to things we can do to slow theimpending climate change, and get it under control (assuming that weare having an impact), then we do need to involve the politicians forthe policy making etc. I'm not surprised that Canada and theUS are two of the major powers yet to sign Kyoto... it's too politicaland tied to closely to economical arguments. Who knows if itcan ever be seperated...

And yes, you are right about the population - it is 6.6 billion (notsure why I thought 9)... but the point I was making still applies. ;)

_________
Nadia

We watched An Inconvienient Truth earlier thisyear at school. It was truly informative, encouraging us inthe direction we were all already headed. We're making anattempt to become more environmentally conscious.

Of course, we also discussed the graphs in AP Bio. The effect scale has on the appearance of a graph, etc.

Not offended at all. Just would liketo add that I am not in anyway a political person. I don'ttrust any of em! I've never been registered to vote, but now,I'm just gonna have to go for the lesser of the evils.Nothing more to lose...:mad:

I recentlywatched this movie for class, and it could have been much much betterif there had been less "Al Gore: A Personal History" and moreemphasis on the information.

As for the numbers/graphs, people can manipulate numbers tosupport many different views on the same issue. Also, havinga politician explain things to a semi-educated (meaning that themajority of the people who see this are not necessarily scientists whospecialize in studing glacial movements and atmosphericpatterns) audience, portraying himself as somewhat of anexpert, is highly suspect to me.

Even with these in mind, whether or not global warming is real, thereis NO good reason to mutilate the environment, devaluing anything nothuman or necessary to human development.

Al Gore and Global Warming are not the samething... We can easily seperate the two and talk about Global Warmingwithout ever mentioning Al Gore's name. People need toremember that as well. Al Gore is a face. Like how SallyStruthers fought for starving children and MichaelJ.Foxtalks aboutAlzheimer's to get funding... sameconcept.

When I went to the lecture it was actually a public end-of-day event toa day long symposium on "Moving Canada To Sustainability" where the topscientists at the University along with some of the city's politiciansetc. examined topics on how to move canada to be more energy andenvironmentally efficient. Thought that was prettycool.

________
Nadia

Oh you're so lucky you got to go tothat!! My fiance, Chris is obsessed with that movie, he'swatched it numerous times. And is totally all about theglobal warming now. It was really informative. Iwould've loved to have gone to that!! Lucky You!

I've been lurking on this topic but not sayinganything but I thought that I'd share some links I came across aboutglobal warming. (Heads up; They do not agree with Al Gore orthe movie/lecture)...one is about Al Gore himself and his energyusage...

http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=367

http://www.philvalentine.com/SkepticsGuideToGlobalWarming.htm

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=\Nation\archive\200409\NAT20040915c.html
(this one is about scientists debunking the myth about global warming and hurricanes)

http://everyman.mu.nu/archives/179716.php
this has some really good links in it towards the bottom

http://www.epw.senate.gov/fact.cfm?party=rep&id=266711
(a free "skeptics guide to global warning" that you can download and read)

I'm not trying to cause problems here - simply offering otherinformation for folks who want to check this out further for "the otherside" of the issue.

I do agree with taking care of this planet....and that we should do all we can to have clean air and clean water, etc.

Peg

Latest posts

Back