An abandoned hare kit is on the way, I have no idea what to do.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Hi everyone, it’s been a long time since I posted anything here. At the moment the animal ambulance is on their way with a hare baby to leave to me. I will only be the temporary stop until the one who takes care of wild animals can pick it up.

I’ve been advice to give it lukewarm honey water and that’s all information I got. I have never cared for young kits or even abounded pets. Of course I have most things at home for an emergency.

So I have set up a box with blankets and a heating pad under. The heating pad are to just warm up the blankets and will be taken away later on. The heating pad is specific for bunnies when they feel unwell and becomes cold as to help them keep a bit of heat. I bought it for Odin because of his multiple gi stasis problems and often became cold.

The hare kit will only be with me for 5 hrs but the update I got where that it’s cold and weak. So I’m stressing out here. If anyone have any tips that can give the kit a fighting chance I will gladly take it.

The reason why it’s coming to me are because the vets will put down wild animals while the wild life rehab isn’t free at the moment, so she can’t take the baby in until later. So I’m the only one that the animal ambulance knows that have some experience with bunnies.

I think keeping it hydrated, warm, and quiet is the best thing you can do in that time frame. The honey water does make sense to me, I don't know how much though.

Tried serching for "nursing hare kits", and all the results are mostly about rabbits. So much for "intelligent search engines" *sigh*
Guess you've found that too, but anyway: Hare Rearing – The Hare Preservation Trust

Good luck :)

The kit is really weak but I’m hoping the honey water and warmth will help. Otherwise it will be put down because of how weak it is. So only time will tell for this little one.

A4909DCB-DA1E-4D98-BC21-6C6C6DB1BE20.jpeg

23C73AEB-E869-4D37-96B0-5D933F36F0F3.jpeg

Anyone who see this thread and thinking about taking in wild animals. Don’t do it until you ask a professional. Often wild hare and rabbit kits aren’t abounded when you see them alone. In my country it’s high season for young hare kits to be found.

This kit where brought in by those who work with rescuing animals and wild life.

Here is what I have for cottontail rescue. First off, however, with cottontails it is important to keep them warm, about 104°; however, I don't know if this applies to hares because they are born with fur coats, already.

Cottontail rescue
http://www.animaladvocates.us/bunnyrehabilitationmanual.pdf

Diet:
1 part heavy cream to 5 parts reconstituted KMR formula. (KMR = Kitten Milk Replacer)

We've never lost a cottontail using this guidance.

Thanks for the tips it will be good knowledge. I’m planning to voluntary work at the wildlife rehabilitor and help out. Because it’s nearby where I live and they will need people that can help out.

The leveret at the end perked up more before going to the wildlife rehabilitor but we weren’t sure if it had been hurt by the cat. So only nature can decide if it will survive, it was still weak. At least the leveret was stronger when it left my home than how it came.

Back