Amy's cats, rabbits, etc!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am hoping you do. :whistling

JadeIcing wrote:
I think we will, but at least we have months to think about it and decide when the time comes. Poms have small litters (her last litter was only 3 pups...all died :( & she won't breed those parents to one another again)....so she obviously gets to decide what she wants to keep for show and she has a few people wanting a show quality Pom, too...so we kind of get what we get when it comes to the pet quality one(s) in the litter. Ryan really wants a male black/tan, but I'm fine with anything. I also hope that if we really do want one when the time comes, that maybe MaryAnne will drop the price a bit because I don't know how I feel about spending $800 on a dog as a pet - I mean, I know she puts money into having the litters because they get tested & shots before going to new homes....but I think $800 is quite steep for a pet dog. Plus, he/she will need to be speautered & finish out the rest of the shots as it ages to year 1.

undergunfire wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
I also hope that if we really do want one when the time comes, that maybe MaryAnne will drop the price a bit because I don't know how I feel about spending $800 on a dog as a pet - I mean, I know she puts money into having the litters because they get tested & shots before going to new homes....but I think $800 is quite steep for a pet dog. Plus, he/she will need to be speautered & finish out the rest of the shots as it ages to year 1.
Kashi's breeder did the same and I paid $600 because he worked with my mom. Well worth it in the long run.

Yeah....$600 is more reasonable, in my opinion. I'd like to not pay over $500, but $600 would be okay. I just think $800 is too much for a pet dog. Part of me thinks I am crazy anyway because I can go get a cute little pup at the shelter for $100. I'm not sure when I will get over the fact that buying a purebred dog when there are tons in shelters doesn't feel "right".

Eh way I see it that is just one dog that won't end up in a shelter. :whistling

Have you considered seeking out a breed rescue? It might be a nice compromise between his desire to get a dog and your preference to rescue. :)

I have thought about a breed rescue, but if I am going to get a Pom...then I am getting one from MaryAnne. Ryan was really against a Pom because his friend's mom had 2 terribly annoying ones that were oversized Poms and were nothing like MaryAnne's Poms are (to the standard in body type and personality). So, I know Ryan won't want to get one from a breed rescue.

In all honesty, if I was to get a purebred dog then I might not get one from a shelter or rescue....I'd rather get a mutt. Too many purebreds are bred wrong and end up with a ton of health issues, so if I wanted a purebred dog then I'd go with a reputable breeder who does health guarentees and everything (MaryAnne does).

The good thing about MaryAnne is that she isn't a full time breeder....she had a litter last December and that was her first litter in 7 years (and they all died). So I guess that makes me feel more comfortable getting a dog from her because she rarely brings puppies into this world. If that makes any sense?

Amy I was talking to Ali and she told me that you cycle your toys?

I need to start cycling the kids toys because they have so many now.

Yep...I do cycle my toys about every 2 weeks. I just take a couple of Brody's toys and give them to Morgan & Molly, then give some of Morgan and Molly's to Marlin....etc. I repeat the process so the toys always change. When I bring in more new toys (usually just go to thrift stores and find baby toys), then I will pick out some of our older toys and set them aside to donate to the local shelter bunnies (when they have them).

This works quite well....better then buying a ton of new toys every week to keep everyone entertained. Of course, Marlin really isn't big on any toy....but I still do rotations so that he sees new things in his cage.

Oh, and we think that if we get a girl Pom we want to name her "Sookie" (we are obsessed with TrueBlood :whistling).

-----------

So, I think we have taught Jenson a bad habit.....begging like a dog at the dinner table. Ryan and I eat salads almost every night and usually Jenson is out running around while we eat. I made the mistake of feeding him lettuce from my bowl and now he begs for it. He nudged Ryan's leg at dinner tonight :p.

Jents really need a man who loves bunnies to be his daddy and a momma who gives him love on the side, since he really seems to like Ryan and he liked James (Myia's BF) a lot.

Here is a shot of his cage with some new toys....

4552778105_3563df7319.jpg

The paper coin roll on sisal rope....we call it "the snake" :spintongue.

4552779873_b32ffb6c23.jpg

Thanks, John! I agree...Jenson and Lola do look a like ;).

--------

Some new pictures of the ratties & their cage (yes, boys love pink!)....

4549945438_6a1369f0be.jpg

Tucker....

4549308133_68bd058514.jpg

Jack...

4549310557_121f529575.jpg

The twins - Harper & Jasper....

4549309261_8e651ed2a7.jpg

Marvin, my MIL's cat that I'm fostering until we move to PA in hopefully 2 years (oh...yay!)

4539896904_3140452690.jpg

Tibi....

4553760930_bfac7d001a.jpg

4553123383_77902e613d.jpg

4553124821_a45f1eb90d.jpg

4553765010_68c352b46c.jpg

Quil....

4539922714_abd7311578.jpg

4539908198_d06ec99791.jpg

4539280531_6c04ea0242.jpg

4539916646_981085ec99.jpg

Quil & Sammy....

4553768100_e1fdf61d02.jpg

My Juji-Juju-Toot-Toots-Toodles-Baaaaybaaaay (lol...his real name is "Juju").

4553119425_58df99c811.jpg

4553756892_b09aa6a157.jpg

Sammy (goofy picture....he was probably just eating hay!)....

4553797702_f46e746c3a.jpg

And these are my new name plaques for Marlin and Brody's NIC cages. I got them at the Dollar Tree and some paint from Joann's....I think they both cost me about $2.50 each in the end :)....

4552914548_ba9957f904.jpg

Aaaaand a new treat container that I also got at the Dtree today!

4552917686_2f2731ff6f.jpg

Ren.....rats really are fun! You get to buy or sew things for the cage and you make make toys out of the weirdest things. I love rats, but after my boys...can't say I will ever own them again, but I definitely need a LONG break.

Misty....Nope, Tibi is a boy so he never had kittens :p - he just has a fat gut, which is why we call him "Tubby Tibi"!

--------

On a side note, I might be getting another foster rabbit. He is already neutered, so that is the only reason why I am considering it. A lady in the next town over needs to rehome him ASAP due to her medical issues and she hasn't had any interest (we have been emailing back and forth). MaryAnne (the Pom lady at my work) really wants to get another house rabbit, so I am going to see if she would be interested in him first.

Here is the little guy.....

3kf3m93p55T25U55S4a4o05e9c03cbbf11fe3.jpg

All your pictures are so beautiful *jealous*. Of course it helps to have such awesome critters! :) Great dollar store finds, the new name plates are adorable. I hope it works out and you can get this foster, he is a handsome guy. I love his markings!

Thanks, Erika! The owner said she'd let me know if she wants to foster him out. I asked her if she'd like Dori's email (the therapy rabbit lady in town) because she has more connections down in Phoenix then I do, so maybe she can help her find her bunny a home. I guess the bun is cage aggressive, so she wants to be careful as to where he is going to go (not young children).

Just sharing pictures of a Shih Tzu I groomed today named "Bailey" :).

Before....

4561225479_28030bea5c.jpg

4561224309_8cd8a218fa.jpg

After.....

4561855464_bc8bd8bd1a.jpg

4561856504_5649efb6a8.jpg

It's so nice to see a well done grooming job. I'm used to dogs coming out looked like someone ran over them with an industrial lawnmower. Nice work!

Thanks, Ren :biggrin:!!

You should have seen the last dog I had to groom today. He was half Shih Tzu and half something else (we couldn't decide what it was), but the lady wanted a #9 on the body (really short), a Schnauzer type face (owner wanted the eye lashes left long), Shih Tzu ears & tail, then "bell bottoms" on the legs. So it was basically a Schauzer/Shih Tzu cut. Ughhh...it was soooo ugly. I could barely do a good job on it because it felt like I was actually making the dog ugly.

Latest posts

Back