Amy's cats, rabbits, etc!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Misty! I have never been a girly girl, but I just love to make my bunny room "girly" :biggrin2:.

Rue....I will have to get that soap, thanks for sharing :)!

-----------

Now pictures of the ratties! They were out for play time (which usually just means sitting on the top of their cage since they are older)....and I cooked them up an egg with a side of apples & chicken baby food (Dexter got some too).

Jack is the black capped (with head spot), Tucker is the all black, and Harper is the Himi (white). Jasper was snoozing away in his pocket hammock in the cage :p......

4513461520_d1db1f9c0f.jpg

4513461534_7a000dec92.jpg

4513461540_88582bc6f2.jpg

"IMA HAMPPPPPPPP-SHHHSTURRR!"
4513461546_f1a52d5666.jpg

4513461552_8faa27db08.jpg

4513461570_929b7fec53.jpg

4513479178_1933f76b26.jpg

4512838243_fa00d8b274.jpg

4512839831_6fe163397d.jpg

4513487004_4e1ce00887.jpg

4512846427_57c69526b4.jpg

4512848389_d0e5f7321d.jpg

4512850213_c9301631e5.jpg

4513494408_7c8ec61721.jpg

4513496378_5485021059.jpg

4513477396_91215c6131.jpg

4512832467_909dedc036.jpg

The pictures with the bunny and the dog are so cute! My bunnies love my dog too, I love watching them together.

The ratties look happy!

April....Yep, rats can eat pretty much everything that humans eat :)!

Chelle....Thank you! I can't believe how much Sam and the foster bun have bonded. I keep telling him "Noooo...you can't keep him!".

Kat....It was just tortilla chips, mexican rice, refried beans, mexican shredded cheese, and jalapenos. We added some salsa to the top, too. Super easy and cheap to make! You can also add meat if you want, of course.

-------------

So, I think Alicia and I decided on the name "Jenson" for the foster bun (aka Sheriff) ;). Peg had a black half lop rabbit that I fell in love with when I stayed with her for 3 weeks, so its funny that "Jenson" seems to fit this black lop!

undergunfire wrote:
Paul....I think everything happens for a reason (whatever that may be at this point) :p.

Emily....a 10gal. tank is just right for a male mouse, some people even keep them in 5.5gal, but I think that is way too small. I am thinking about upgrading Dex to a 20gal long this fall (when I have the money), just so he can have more space for popsicle stick play things :). I really love Dex and he has been super friendly from day 1...I guess that is kind of rare for a pet store mouse but he was a little baby, so he wasn't "set in his ways" yet, I guess. There aren't many options from getting mice from reputable breeders...so its either a pet store, rescue/shelter (if they even have any), rehome from someone (also rare), or a "feeder breeder".

Awesome, I had no idea that a 10-gal was okay for them to be in! I always thought they would need something much larger. I probably won't be able to get a mouse for a long time anyways - probably not until I'm in college or afterwards, so I will have plenty of time to think about really getting one (their long tails will take some getting used to!)

My mom's boyfriend doesn't like hamsters inside, so I doubt he'd go for a mouse. haha. I think I'd be lucky enough to get a guinea pig, which I came close to getting two females a couple months back - recent 4-H pigs, and I would show them as well, but I think they've found a new home.

I might be selling out of my REW MR and switching to a different colour, so I think I will just focus on my rabbits for now. lol. But it's definitely something I might think about in the far future - and I will definitely be sure to talk to you more about mice!! Especially about Dex's personality and all that!

Emily

Emily....yep, a 10gal. is just fine! They say that 2-3 females are fine in a 10gal too. I just want to upgrade Dex to a 20gal. long so he has more space for climbing gyms & stuff.

---------

I just wanted to post and say that I can't believe how much stuff English Lops can get themselves into and how naughty they are, LOL. Jenson (thats his new name) is running back and forth through the house and sliding out on the hard wood....he starts back by the laundry room then runs through the kitchen and lands in the living room - he was chasing the cats and they were chasing him (all in fun), haha. He got himself stuck behind the door in the laundry room, so I had to close the door so he can't go in there. He has also decided to stop at random places are stare off into space.....he literally just sits there like a statue and its really creepy :p.

I also can't believe how much more mellow he is now that he's neutered and its only been 5 days since he got snipped. I also feel much better now that he is neutered - you kind of look at them in a different way.

Jenson let Ryan pet him for a while today because he was just begging for it while Ryan was sitting at his computer playing guitar (he was really interested in that). We like having a bunny in the living room because he is right behind our computer desks (we moved the room around)....so much that I think I might just move Brody out here when Jenson goes to a new home. I'd love to bring Morgan out, but he hates slippery floors and he loves the other bunnies, so I don't think he'd be happy out there even though he'd be with me more. I'm not sure I'd even move Brody out there because it seems like he'd be lonely away from his pals even though they only see/touch through cages. I'd just have to wait and see....maybe try it and see how it goes.

When Ryan and I move out to the east coast (we are considering Middletown, PA - near Harrisburg), then we want to find a house where we can have the bunnies in a family room or something....a room that is more "open" to the rest of the house where the buns are right there. I mean, they are "right there" in this house, but it would be cooler if we knocked out 1 of the bunny room walls so their room was open to the living room :D (that won't happen though!).

Ry and I are actually planning to purchase plane tickets to go visit PA this October - he plays an online MMO game and has gotten to be really good friends with a guy and his long time girl friend who are (I think) 28 years old or so - they said we could stay with them for a week and they'd show us all around to see if that is really where we want to live. We have been researching the area and looking at houses for sale and from pictures & stuff....we are in love and want to pack up and move tomorrow (if only it was possible) ;).

The cool part is that Middletown is about 2.5 hours away from my grandparents in Wakefield, VA....so we can easily go and see them once a month, which I'd love because my grandparents are awesome and I barely get to see them. They live about an hour from VA beach (love that place!), as well as another hour or so (I think) from the Outerbanks of NC...which I would love to retire to when I am older!

PA, or at least the parts of it I've been too, is beautiful. Chris and I have considered moving there ourselves someday.

Jenson is a great name! :thumbup

He sounds like a real character and Yay for the neuter appearing to have helped already!

Thanks, Erika! I'm glad that the neuter has seemed to work already, which means it can only get better from here on out. Who knows right now if he cage aggression will go away, but I'm not about to go reaching in there while he is in there....I think I'll just treat him like he's still cage aggressive for now (because he very well probably is). Its really not an inconvenience to do "cage duties" while hes out playing.

Chelle.....where were you and Chris thinking about moving to in PA?

What age should buns be spayed/neutered?

& once again, I must say I am INLOVE with your animals! They are/look so sweet!

I have spayed & neutered 4 bunnies by 5 months and they have all done fine. I'll always spay/neuter by 6 months.

And thank you! I love my pets....but they all seem to be driving me crazy lately *points to the cats* :p.

Okay, thanks! I don't know if you've seen my posts, but im working on convincing my mom for a bunny, and I just wanted to know!

lol, my cat gets underneath my feet all the time and I about fall on her!

The local Farmer's Market comes to town on May 15th and lasts until October. I haven't been before and am really excited to go this year because I need to be the "right" vegetarian - I have been the "wrong" one for like 6 months now. The veggies at the grocery store are pretty expensive here in AZ and they don't have much of a variety.....and I was much more used to fresh/locally grown stuff back when I lived in NY, so things just tasted different. I wish I could afford the veggies at the only health food store in town because they are organic, but they are just too pricey for me.

On that note, I am going to start preparing myself to go vegan. I really need to do something more with my eating habits so that I can feel better. I'm just scared that I will be living off of practically nothing since I am a picky eater....I haven't heard of half of the foods that vegan sites suggest that you eat. Since quitting meat about 6 months ago, I have replaced it with cheese and I know cheese is fattening. I also eat 1 egg every morning for breakfast since I don't like oatmeal (the suggested bfast food) and I don't think frozen waffles are good for you, LOL. I thought about making and freezing fruit smoothies, but I am concerned that that will be too much sugar to have daily. I just want a good breakfast to keep me going through the day because grooming is very physically hard. For lunch I eat a protien bar, but I am going to be replacing that with a bag of sliced veggies (maybe peppers, carrots, cucumber, broccoli?).

Hey, Ren....you have any words/websites to share about vegan eating?

ETA: I also fear that it will be VERY hard to stop eating cheese. How will I ever get by without eating a pizza (soy cheese is really yucky), mac & cheese, been & cheese burrito, etc?! Its also hard when I know I can get some "quick & easy, but yummy" vegan foods from the health food store, but that are soooo expensive and I can't afford to shop there. I guess I am now thinking about the nights where Ry and I want to throw in a cheap cheese pizza & settle down with a beer & a movie.

Ooooh. I will write you a novel on the subject of vegan nutrition & cost cutting as soon as I have a moment; it's something very near and dear to me! It will probably not be until tonight though, as I'm running around like a loonie preparing for my trip.

So, I'm short on time, and am going to copy/paste something from a thread I posted in on another board for someone looking for vegan nutrition advice. Hope you don't mind ;)

My suggestion would be to use meat analogs as a transition only, if at all. You really need to get the bulk of your nutrition from varied non-processed foods if you're going to maintain good health. Eating the vegan equivalent of "junk food" like burgers, hot dogs, pepperoni, etc. is going to be about as good for your health as eating the real thing.

If you are going to eat soy, I suggest tempeh (available in most "normal" grocery stores btw!). Femented soy products are much better for your health than unfermented sources. I don't really feel like typing everything out about it, but if you research the potential health risks of soy you'll find ample info on why fermented sources are vastly suggested over tofu/soy meats/soybeans.

I actually suggest getting most of your protein from your grains, legumes, seeds, and nuts. Beans like lentil and adzuki, primitive grains like quinoa and amaranth, seeds like pumpkinseed, and nuts like almonds and their like are loaded with protein and eaten in combination with the rest of your food should fulfill your needs for fatty acids as well. They also tend to be a decent source of iron and the like. Even your basic black beans and wild rice is quite nutritious if your local grocery doesn't carry some of the more nutrient-efficient, less common grains/legumes.

Eat PLENTY of dark leafy greens, but in variety, as some are high oxelate(sp?) and can be counterproductive to your calcium needs as a result. I try to have leafy greens with every meal as often as possible. They are best raw or prepared steamed, but you can certainly have them sauteed and such. If you really want to have some fun, get an edible plants field guide and experiment with making wild salads. Foods harvested from the wild generally have a much more dense nutrient content since the soil there isn't depleted from years of over-use via production.

Fruits and veggies should be liberally consumed in as much variety as you are able to obtain. Different colors generally suggest different nutrients, so eat a wide color variety of foods as well as species variety. Branch out, and don't stick with strictly old staples like carrots, apples, and potatoes. Squashes, root vegetables, berries, etc. have remarkable diversity - take advantage of it.

Whole grains should dominate the grain portion of the diet. Note that I didn't say "grain," but "whole grain." Too many vegans and vegetarians eat too much processed and refined grains, and they're just not offering you much nutritionally. Rices and primitive grains should be pre-eminent, and if you choose, wheat-family whole grains like spelt, rye, etc, are highly preferable to things like pasta and white bread. Not to say you can't eat pasta of course, just don't have it make up any significant portion of your diet.

For veganism on a budget... I suggest buying bulk dry grains and legumes. This will cut your costs HUGELY for the bulk of your diet, leaving plenty of $$ for fruits, veggies, and greens. You can grow greens right in your window at home, btw, and this is another relatively cost effective to enrich your diet. Fruit/Veg from farmer's markets, or discounted fruit/veg from the grocery is a cost saver as well; the latter can be cooked then frozen for later since it generally needs to be used promptly.

It costs me about 50 cents a meal to eat a full serving of rice and beans because I buy bulk dry, and that's organic as well; non-organic is even cheaper. That's better than the fast food dollar menu and certainly cheaper than any meat-centered meal you can find despite the allegedly prohibitive cost of veganism.

I can't really give you a staple sample menu since I eat extremely different foods every day, but here's an example of today's menu:

Breakfast
- Coconut milk yogurt (mango flavored)
- Banana
- Beans n' Greens (northern white beans and broccoli raab)
- Hemp Milk

Lunch
- Rice and Beans (adzuki beans, lentils, black rice, purple rice)
- Steamed Kale

Dinner
- Salad (spinach, sprouts, mixed veggies, and chick peas)
- Leftover Vegetable & Black Bean Soup (home made; we basically take all of the veggie scraps that are losing their freshness at the end of the week, put them in a soup, and add beans)

Snacks
- Raspberries
- Orange
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Spinach Pie (basically, a millet/flax/rice flatbread filled with sauteed spinach)

I *think* I've made some posts on this board as well re: vegan nutrition if you search a bit.

I definitely suggest checking out nutritiondata.com to look up different foods to maximize the efficiency of nutrient intake in your diet :)

And as far as recipes go: ignore those wacky vegan recipes with ingredients no one's ever heard of, forget found in a store! I've always had much better luck with simple, no nonsense, whole foods chooking. Cooked whole grains, rices, and legumes, steamed greens and veggies, salads and fresh fruit, etc. can all make for nutritious meals using familiar, simple to prepare ingredients. Save the wacky ingredients for instances where you might want to have fun experimenting with new dishes.

Thanks for that info, Ren!

So pretty much I need to start eating lots of rice varieties with beans, as well as more veggies (salads)? What on earth is a legume (probably a dumb question). I will have to go and check out our only health food store and see how much their rice and beans are in the bulk canisters.

I'm just really scared that I won't get "everything I need" because I am a picky eater and I guess "bland" food just doesn't sound good. I really love making homemade black beans burgers (eat them between leafs of lettuce and pile on the veggies) and I suppose Ryan and I can make healthier mexican food (no more refried beans and goodbye to cheese).

I did have a crunchy peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread this morning, which filled me up just as much as eating an egg would have.

One of the hardest parts of being a vegetarian is when you are at work and someone orders pizza and its piled high with meat (that happened today), or you go to a pot luck and everything is meat, oooooor you have family that doesn't quite get the fact that you don't even want little itty bitty bits of ham that are chopped up in a salad. My parents finally started making me all veggie meals when we come over, but I think they'd be clueless when it comes to vegan meals.

I guess I need to just keep researching over the next month (before the farmers market comes to town), so that I can slowly weed out the cheese and start getting used to "bland food" :p.

---------------------

On a side note....

Today at school I had to groom a Humane Society dog - he was a Lahsa named "Sebastian". My goodness I wanted to just cry and run away with him in my arms. I feel good knowing I make needy dogs feel better, but its so emotionally hard :(. Sebastian had really long hair that was matted right down to his skin....you couldn't even tell he even had ears! The poor guy was really good while I was shaving the thick matted "coat" off, but he was very touchy and cried/bit a lot when I got near his legs & feet. He must have been fed a kibble mostly made up of corn at his previous home, because he had bright yellow poop dried all over his back end...it was soooo matted to his skin. He also must have just been locked into a small kennel and left to run around in his feces because all 4 feet were stained that nasty bright yellow color.

Once I got his matted coat off he went straight into the tub. I used a whitening shampoo to try to get the bright yellow poop staining off, but after washing him 4 times the stain was still there! I could tell Seb was feeling better while I was washing him because all he wanted to go was give me kisses.

I got him out of the tub and high velocity dried him (which he was really good about)....then I fluff dried him with the stand drier and put him back outside in a dog run to give him a break since I had another dog to get done.

When I went back outside to grab Seb he was soooo excited to see me! So much more of a difference between him nasty matted and all clean. I got him back onto my table and started to shave him down to even his coat out...he was still very touchy about his legs (back ones specifically). Once he was shaved down I started trimming up his face and he was giving me "that look"....you know the look where shelter dogs are telling you "PLEASE TAKE ME HOME BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!!!". Ugh.....it just killed me. After his face was all trimmed and perfect (hehe, as best as a newbie groomer could do!).....I had to clip his nails. Well, he was biting and screaming when I was touching his back legs, so my instructor came over and took a look....come to find out, his dew claws (hadn't been removed as a pup) had grown so long and curled that they embedded themselves into his dew claw pad :grumpy::tears2:....my instructor cut his dew nail while I held him down, mind you he was screaming bloody murder because it hurt so bad. Well....his dew pads were purple from lack of circulation and were bleeding/oozing.

At that point I started tearing up pretty bad.....I just felt to bad for the little guy knowing I helped him feel better and he trusted me and obviously bonded to me during the day while I groomed him....and then he had to leave and go back to a shelter where his fate is unknown and he'd never again see the nice lady who made him feel better :tears2:. God, I am crying just typing this.....I can't get his sad adorable face out of my head.

He also had hematoma in his ears - which is where a dog keeps shaking their head and it pops a blood vessel and they have to perform surgery to drain the blood (quite a process, apparently). So, now I am sitting here wondering if they are going to get his medical issues taken care of or are they just going to have him put to sleep?

I wish I could take Seb home and give him all of the love and care in the world that he obviously never had......but I just shouldn't. I know I CAN do it....but what happens when the next pitiful dog comes in and I fall in love all over again? I just can't take them all home. I'm just upset because I really bonded to this dog and he bonded to me and I feel like I failed him because he has to go back to a cold cement floor in a kennel with lots of barking big dogs.

Ughhhhh....I'm going to keep checking the shelter and will call about him because I want to know if he gets adopted. The shelter here is secretive and will probably tell me he got adopted but they really put him to sleep, so thats the tough part. The only real way of knowing he's safe is if I adopt him myself. The shelter has a 70% success rate, but those are all the healthy adoptable dogs....who knows about the ones with even little medical issues, mild aggression, and really old dogs.

:tears2::tears2::tears2::tears2::tears2:

I am glad you helped this little guy find a home maybe.

You can't save them all but maybe you could make some flyers for him. And tell friends and family about him.

Back