Amount of Veggies for a Dwarf

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwolfec

Reaction score
Hello!

I have been reading up on the proper amount of pellets/veggies/hay ratios to feed buns according to age and weight. I was wondering if I need to alter the suggested amounts because I have a dwarf? (he's about 5 months). He gets fresh veggies twice a day (totaling around 2 cups) with unlimited hay and pellets in between lunch and dinner, but he really doesn't eat the pellets. Taking that fact into consideration, should I give him more veggies to make sure he gets enough nutrients?

Also, how do you all feel about vitamin additives? I found these drops you put in their water and wondered if it would be beneficial...

I want to make sure I don't have a fatty, but I definitely want him to get the proper nutrition! :D

Veggies are considered treats and shouldn't be given until at least 6 months. Depending on how long he's been on them, if he hasn't had any problems it should be fine to keep giving them to him. Pellets are really important but I don't know anything about additives.

It depends on the veggies, some [like carrots] should be considered treats & others [like greens] should be given every day. But he really needs to eat pellets. I would slowly cut down on the veggies until he starts eating at least 2 tablespoons of pellets daily. Don't give any veggies at dinner until after he's eaten the pellets. The pellets have vitamins & minerals, so the drops won't be needed, at least not in my opinion.

2 cups a day sounds like an awful lot to me. How much does your bunny weigh? I have a little bun (3 lbs) and there's no way he could eat 2 cups of veg a day. I free feed hay, he gets about 1/2 cup of pellets and the occasional treat of dried fruit or fresh veg. But nowhere near 2 cups and only a couple of days a week.

Latest posts

Back