American Fuzzy Lops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlie

Reaction score
*Grr... I had this all typed out then it got erased...

Do any of you own (or have owned) an American Fuzzy Lop? They'resupposed to have a sweet personality. Is this true? Do they make goodhouse rabbits? Do they have any special characteristics? Anything youwant to add about them? I'm thinking about getting one but I'd likesome info from real owners rather than books andwebsites...:)Also, how much did you pay to spay your rabbit?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!:)

I've never had one, but there are several peoplehere who do. I have no patience for that long fur, whichneeds lots of grooming and sometimes requires full-body clipping.:?

I pay about $120 for a spay. I had found cheaper vets in myarea, but most of them didn't know much about rabbits and I didn'ttrust them.

I've never owned one, but I've also heard they are a sweet breed, and of course they are so cute!! :)

The only down fall I could see is that they require a lot of grooming,but if you don't mind that it's probably not much of a down fall. Justget it used to it very early so that it doesn't mind being groomed somuch.

Here we only have one vet that will spay a rabbit, and it can go foranywhere from $150-200. I have heard that our Humane Society is nowdoing it too, but I haven't looked in to it.

The Fuzzies with soft coats can matt very easily -- the proper coats with more guard hairs are much easier to care for.

They generally have wonderful dispositions.

"Raspberry", a member of this board has a fuzzy Holland Lop (many"American Fuzzy Lops" are, in reality, long coated HollandLops. She can attest to the nightmare of keeping up on thesofter coats -- they matt very easily.

The Fuzzy Lops would also get overheated more easily in the summer than shorter coated breeds.

You also want to keep in mind that a Fuzzy will shed a "lot".Certainly a consideration if keeping the rabbit in the house.

Pam

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

well, ive never owned one..but i was lookinginto getting one to..the only reason i didnt was because of thegrooming..and i wanted to rescue a bunny instead of going to a breederor petshop

here our vets will charge anywhere from 200-300 for spaying.. but maybeyou could find a shelter that has rabbits that are alreadyspayed/neutered? we just got our Petey last Saturday and it only costus $30..he was already neutered,microchipped, and litterbox trained.

I have two Fuzzy Lops and they are VERY sweet boys.

TobysFirstBirthdayMarch152006015.jpg

SmallShadow7-12-05002.jpg

They do get matted very easily. I give mine "haircuts" aboutonce every six weeks to keep them cooler and to manage thecoats.

Thanks for the info everyone!!

And WOW!!:shock: $200-300 seems very expensive since it cost me $40 tospay my cat... is this because rabbits are so much smaller?? I got mycat spayed with Neuter Scooter, which does it cheaper than regular vetoffices.. I wonder if they do that anywhere around here forrabbits??...:?

American Fuzzy Lops rock. Flopsy actedlike a dog. He was such a sweetie he'd jumped hurdles andfollow me around the yard. I had to put him asleep 2 weeks ago andthree days:( They really are a pleasure!

-Ashley & :bunnyangel:Flopsy & Fluffy

Latest posts

Back