American Blues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clevername

Reaction score
Americans are among the rarest of rabbit breeds. The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy lists them as critically endangered and the last survey conducted found 304 total rabbits; 200 Blues, 104 Whites.

I was lucky enough to find some recently so I picked up some juniors to start a small program.

Anyway this it Bugs...

3272435079_0a59e08bec_b.jpg

3273253688_53b710ec79_b.jpg

Lugg (My husband named him)

3272435217_67ed75ece3_b.jpg

3272435283_1d5acfe4a8_b.jpg

Edda didn't want to pose...or stay still. Sorry about the photo quality.

3272435423_ff5f99bb4b_b.jpg

Emma

3272435373_a2120b93d7_b.jpg

Anyway, everyone is in Quarentine right now. That's why the lighting is so poor. I keep everyone in my basement until I'm sure they're clean enough to join everyone else in the barn. But I'll be sure to get some better pictures once they put some more weight on.:)

Wheeee!Thanks for the photo's! So happy you got them! Can't wait to see their offspring! They are lovely, each with their own good points. Definately a good start. Congratulations!

That's a GOOD thing! It would really be awful if after all this trouble, he doesn't want to breed!

They are majorly gorgeous :D

I can't wait to see babies of these ones. Can I ask how long you quaratine for?

What other breeds is it you have? Im really nosey, sorry, lol.

On a side note, I too have come across 'unhorny' bucks.

This is Sky (on the left) 'mating' with Boofa.
Bunnies9howlovely.jpg

Flashy wrote:

Bunnies9howlovely.jpg
Thanks!

I ussually quarantine anywhere from 3 weeks to a 1 1/2month. Long enough to treat them for coccidia, worms and generally keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

I have 4 breeds right now.:shock:
English & Satin Angora fuel my spinning hobby, they are fun to show too.
Silver Fox are endangered, but there are enough breeders on this side of the states to show them competitively---well almost enough. And now Ams. The last 2 are American heritage breeds, so I'm trying to get people in my area interested in keeping them as livestock, which is what they were developed for.

Also 3 of my 4 breeds are rare/endangered so if you have one, you might as well have more. Even if you have competition, you'll do a lot of waiting around since your classes go so quick (being as small as they are). So it's nice to show another breed in the meantime.;)

Tell me more of the natural phenomenon....Male rabbits...that don't want to have sex? Unbelievable! Fortunately I've never encountered it!

Sky is very cute BTW. Gotta love those broken buns.

clevername wrote:
Tell me more of the natural phenomenon....Male rabbits...that don't want to have sex? Unbelievable! Fortunately I've never encountered it!

LOL! We have had several Mini Rex bucks and a Dutch buck with ALL the right "equipment" that refused to breed... Their reactions ranged from hiding in a corner when a doe was introduced, to lying next to the doe, washing each other ears and faces... but no "nookie"...

The one that used to hide his head had 9 legs! Was a GORGEOUS broken black! Loved to be held and petted.Never, ever bred a doe....:( He eventually went to a really great pet home with2 girls to fawn over him and dress him up.... He LOVES it. (And they didn't even have to get him neutered...!:p ) His name was Mr. Rogers....

(I've only had one Flemish buck that refused to breed, but he came from another Breeder and I think there were some physical/mental (?)issues there...)

clevername wrote:
Male anything that doesn't want to breed seems an impossibility, haha!

They are stunning, I've never seen that breed before. They sort of look like those blue beverans (spelling?) that Polly on here is going to breed.

He wants a relationship built on substance, not lust! ;)

Flashy wrote:

Bunnies9howlovely.jpg

NZminilops wrote:

They are stunning, I've never seen that breed before. They sort of look like those blue beverans (spelling?) that Polly on here is going to breed.

I think it's just the baby junior coat that makes it resemble the Beveren. The 2 breedsare actually very different, although have the same semi-arch body type.

The Beveren has "V" carried ears, the American's are erect. The American has a dark slate blue flyback coat, where the Beveren has a light lavender blue rollback coat. The eye allows a ruby glow, so is actually most likely a genetic lilac coat.

We used to have Beverens in all colors including the non-accepted brown (chocolate). I've only had one American - a nicely typed steel doe (non-accepted variety).

I did see a stunning American at a show in Ohio - one of the judges even considered picking it for a 6-class win.

Pam

Latest posts

Back