Am I feeding too many oats????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
I feed my rabbits a small handful of junior and dwarf pellets every morning. About half an hour later I add some fresh veg- like half a chopped carrot and a few dark leaves of lettuce. Then in the evening I give them some more fresh veg and about half a small apple each.
Of course they have unlimited hay- I fill it in the morning and then again in the evening- or basically whenever it is looking low, so there is always lots there.

In the evenings about two or three times a week I give them also a small handful of rolled porridge oats. Is this okay? I have been doing it the last couple of weeks and now it suddenly hit me this might be too much??
Is this okay or shall I reduce it?

Thanks

I would say it probably depends on how chunky your bunnies are. I only give Muffin oats, as I've been trying to get some more weight on her (it's working though, so I may stop soon). I only give maybe a teaspoon or two a week, if I give any at all. Other people's buns will have mushy poos without a teaspoon a day. If you're worried about weight, I'd cut back and try fruit or a favorite veggie as a treat instead. Also, when my buns get too many carbs, they get mushy poos, so if you saw that, I'd cut back too.

Like tonyshuman mentioned, their poo is a good indicator. Mushy poo is the reason I cut down the oats to 1 measured teaspoon per night, and my bunnies haven't had a problem since. Well, Ronnie actually never had a problem with oats to begin with (some bunnies don't) but Billy had two bouts with gas and mushy poo so I cut down the portions for both of them. :)

Thanks a lot guys :)

Neither of them seem to have mushy poo- very occasionally I'll notice a bit. They aren't particularly chunky at all- I think they are.....well I say perfect but you know what I mean.

But I think it might be an idea to cut back just to be on the safe side.
Thanks very much for the advice- it's very helpful!!:D

i give my buns rolled oats every morning with their pellets....
....a healthy pinch-full for most....and a bit less for the ones that are sensitive.

Latest posts

Back