Am I doing this right?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyButter

Reaction score
My bunny is very inquisitive. She'll approach people and certainly loves to run about the room. She's very confident, because she hasn't bit anyone and doesn't cower when I have guests come over.

However, I don't understand if she's okay with people. She sometimes will hop away when people try to pet her, but they only try to do so when she is within arm's reach. Her ears are perked forward most of the time when she is around us. Is that a good sign? She will come up to me and nudge my hand, allow me to pet her nose and scratch her back and sometimes, even allow me to pick her up without a struggle.

I here her grind her teeth sometimes, and I've read that it can indicate pain, but she doesn't limp or hold her head to the side. So I guess it's the contented noise? I'm really nervous that I'm actually presenting her with a bad environment, as I am a first time owner and I do live in an apartment.

I know this covers a lot of topics, but I could use some advice. Please? :D

Rabbits often don't want lots of people to pet them. The ears forward means she's paying attention to you. That's why the indoor antennas on early TVs were called rabbit ears.
Would she say the noise she makes is a grinding, or more like a purring or a clucking? I'm rather new at this, too, but got 5 books before I got Honey, so can say that purring, like with a cat, means "I like what you're doing"; clucking means "good food" Another book says soft grinding means happiness, while loud grinding means pain & see the vet.
You might feel more self-assured if you got a rabbit book. I think Rabbits For Dummies is the most complete, but other people like other books. I got mine from Amazon.

Many rabbits don't want to be pet when they are out. Some might be playing, like a 'Can't catch me' kind of game and others might think that if you touch them they are going back in the cage. If she will come to you other times, she is probably more playing or just not interested in being pet right then.

A light tooth grinding can be a sign they are happy. It is sort if like a purring. A really hard grinding, especially if you are touching somewhere or she is showing other signs of discomfort, then she is probably in pain.

Thank you. I think it may be the "good food" clucking as she does it when she's eating. I bought a book, but it essentially explains how to prepare for a rabbit. You recommend Rabbits for Dummies? I'll certainly look into that!

As for the petting, I did advise my roommates and guests that rabbits, if they want to be pet, prefer having their nose rubbed... I think that helped a little bit.

I've been using Amazon a lot for books. It's useful to see the reviews even if you don't buy there. Enter books & pet rabbits. You can get many used books for only $4 each [.01 plus 3.99 shipping] or new books that ship free when you buy $25+. Some of the used books are like new. But anyway, it's good to have answers to some questions right away.
I should also mention that the books I bought have different opinions about what fresh food rabbits should & shouldn't eat, so none of the books are 100% right about everything. But I figure that to get a book published, your knowledge has to at least be above average.

Yeah. A lot of authors probably base their books on personal experiences, and, I presume, that bunnies vary as often as people. I do need to widen my book search. I'll definitely check out Amazon!

Very cute. The grinding while your petting is just like a cat "purring". Tell everyone that they need to let the bunny come to them--the nudging with ours means "pet me now". Ours have gotten so used to being rubbed that I can hold their head in my hand and rub their neck and shoulders and even move to belly rubs--just takes time.

Back