Am I being unreasonable?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsandLops

Reaction score
So, with me moving on from rescue work (even if I will still do it, just on a very small scale) and with Steve's up coming back surgrey I have at this point shut down from taking any owner surrenders at all. Well I have been emailed by a lady that had surrendered with us before back before the summer (May maybe), and I agreed to help her find her bunnies (2 Dutch Mixes) a home(s). Well back when the first twowere surrendered the story was that she had purchased the two rabbits to take pictures with for Easter (she runs her own gallery). At the time she just surrendered the two, and I had no idea about the others. Well that is the first thing I am kind of ticked at, why surrender just the two. Well, today I get an email from her saying she needed them gone asap, as her husband was going to turn them out, let me say I have agreed to pick them up tonight or tomorrow.

Well, here is where the question is, when she told me the rabbits were for pictures, I told her to just borrow a rabbit or two from me for any future pictures. We always have rabbits in and out of our home that could be used and she wouldn't be supporting a pet store breeder. So, to try and make sure she never does this again, I asked if we could have her left over rabbitsupplies (we always ask as if you are surrendering your bunnies you most likely will not need the stuff again, and most people volunteer to give it to us before we ask). We she refused to hand anything over, even the food. Well I just simplely asked why, well she replied with "well we always get rabbits for the easter pictures, we will need the stuff then...".

At this point I am about a hair from going off on her, I am pretty much on my knees asking and praying that she doesn't buy more rabbits next easter. I even told her that I would take a day off and meet her anywhere with any rabbit or rabbits I haveshe wanted to use!

My question is, would it be too unreasonable to tell her (after I get the other two rabbits) that I refuse to take any other rabbits from her if she continues to buy them and then throw them away? We don't ask for a surrendering fee, like a lot rescue we know, we figure if you love your pet enough to contact us, that is all that matters. Yeah, supplies helps, but we ask nothing else. This lady is just pushing me over the edge, I mean 4 rabbits surrendered so far, and then next year the same thing, come on. I am only one person, with the help of Steve, but I can't keep being a safe out for this lady to dump her 'not so cute anymore rabbits" on.

I think it would be reasonable. As a rescue, you can say "I can't take it," for whatever reason you want. Tell her to go to the Humane Society, as releasing them into the wild is against the law and she could get a big fine for it. Many Humane Societies have a surrender fee, so that people think twice about just discarding rabbits at will. I don't want the rabbits to be released and suffer, but this lady needs to learn that you can't do this to animals. There was a news story about a guy getting fined a lot for dumping animals, so you may want to mention that to her, and recommend she go to the Humane Society instead.

Well we are taking these, but I am letting her know that I will never take any others from her, she needs to deal with her desicion to buy rabbits. I honestly didn't think she was this dumb or a person that didn't care. She does all the local shelter's pictures for petfinder, but I see now its all about the $$$$

Could she bereportedto the Humane Society, if she's getting animals for pictures then getting rid of them, doesn't sound like that should be legal.

So if I understand right this lady has a business...well if she is a registered business, u could report her to the Better Business Bureau.

Then if it was me I would, accidentally beat the tar out of her..."oops sorry I broke your nose, maybe next time you would "dis-guard" your animals like toilet paper" Tee Hee

haha I really can't beat her up, she is pregnant (Yeah she has reproduced!).

I think I may do the Better Business Bureau thing though! Oh at least let the shelters around know that if she surrenders bunnies that is where they are coming from. Steve told me to ask for money from her to support her cast offs, but well I can't do that I honestly think she would just skip out on our appt for the surrender and turn them loose.

I do feel bad about telling her we will never take them from her again, but I am making it very clear that turning them loose is illegal. I will just tell her to take them to the shelter (if its a local shelter, we will be called anyway).

Hit her in her pocketbook.

Start early, maybe for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but start posting/emailing/whatever a gentle 'warning' document that asks people to really do their research before booking with photographers or buying cards and other holiday images using rabbits.

Explain that there are unscrupulous people out there who will turn them loose, surrender them to city shelters (rescues are too crowded), etc, and that they should NOT be supported by pet lovers. (Say 'pet', but stick to just rabbits everywhere else).

And/or start now by sending out a note to photographers, etc, saying you're starting a 'recommended' list where you will help promote those who 'borrow' rescue rabbits and donate to shelters.

Suggest using it as a co-promotion to also promote the rabbits -- ie: a message on the website/card/photo with a sentence about the rabbit being adoptable.

The inference of course will be that you are NOT recommending the ones you know who don't.

And if that doesn't work, the words 'organize a boycott' will.

Good luck.

sas :clover:

That is horrible. Do whatever you can to get her if that is what shes doing! good luck.

Again trying to clarify, but the reason she is getting rabbits then letting them go is bcuz she only wants the cute babys for the photos??? bcuz it is so odd to me that she keeps getting some then boom she's done with them. this may sound bad but if all she is after is the babys then why not recommend a dwarf breed she could keep, it would look like a baby and she could re use it. Her profits just keep going down since she keeps getting new ones. And from a business point of view borrowing a bunny would get her a better profit margin.

Maybe if u hit her from a business point of view she might "get" it I dunno Just thinking out loud

BTW if she's prego a broken nose wont hurt the baby...LMAO

Yeah it doesn't make sence at all, Steve even told her that if she borrowed our bunnies she wouldn't have to keep paying $20 for new cute ones. It seems she likes them, but then when it comes to them not making her money on the off season she doesn't want to fool with them (these have been leaving in a cage on her porch with no shelter minus a tent...

She isn't the smartest, but it still stresses me out and makes me super mad. Steve doesn't know why I get so mad and stressed out, but to me she is just throwing these bunnies away cause their not cute and tiny anymore. I did offer her the use of my little brother's rabbit Buddy Holly, who is the tiniest netherland dwarf I have ever seen (still at 8 mos old fits in one hand, but is healthy...) and she didn't even want that. I offered any rabbit I had, and if she wanted a specific color/breed I would see what I could do. I offered my personal angoras, mini rex, and any rescue rabbit we had at the time of the pictures, but she didn't want that, so I don't see how she is thinking. Steve even told her just to get a breeding pair and figure it out where the babies will still be little around easter, and then sale the babies, but again she didn't like that idea either.....

Oh OK what about if she comtact a breeder...then the breeder can work something out with her...like a Rent-A-Bun Program or something. She gets the cute babies, and the breeder deals with everything else

Well their safe for sure now, haha here. She didn't even meet me she had her dad meet me, very nice man and I can't see her being his daughter. They appear to be full Dutch, One Chocolate and One Blond (Honey, maybe tort?). But the bad part is that the Chocolate is a boy and the blond is a girl, and yes they have been housed together, I guess we will have to wait and see. I have already heard it from Steve about them being paired together and well being of the opp. sex. But they are super sweet, thankfully! I will be posting pictures of them both tomorrow, along with our other bunnies, so be looking for them.

This is just unacceptable behavior, i do photography and would never in my right mind dispose of any animals in the manner that she has. It's absolutely disgusting.
I see that you live in Canada, why not do some research online about laws involving animals.
To get you started

CANADIAN ANIMAL
ANTI-CRUELTY LEGISLATION
http://www.animallaw.info/nonus/articles/ddcananimalcrueltylegislation.htm

I would think the best free advice to get is from Vets, try out your local centers and discuss topics on who to contact in regards to reporting business involving animal use.

I was contacted by a photo place for storm this past easter. I went ahead and let them use him two days and the owner got ever strict instructions on feeding him.

I was very happy they asked I was there last resort. She said she was going to have to buy a bunny if I did not let them use storm the lady that they normally use bunny had died they used this bunny for 10 years.

I was paid 70 bucks for 10 sittings. They have already contacted me for next year.

I am still thinking very hard cause what am I doing but telling kids bunny for easter is ok. But at the same thing what if they go buy a bunny. I want to say I dont think this place would really buy a bunny. I think they had short notice and needed a bunny.

I would tell her you could use a bunny for a 15 buck donation. So it is cheaper for her to rent a bunny. I also would not take anymore buns if she lossing more money this next year when you really dont take them again she may not ever do that again.

I hope this works out

So I wrote an email to the lady, what do you guys think, so much? I went for more of the extreme side, so maybe she will take notice that what she is doing is wrong! I haven't sent it yet, so changes can be made.

"I thought I let you know the rabbits are doing great, and the chocolate one is a boy and the blond one is a girl.

I am also emailing you under the advice of the director of a local Humane Society that we work with, and I need you to know that if you continue to buy rabbits for easter we will no longer be your outlet to dump them. We are offering you a FREE borrowed rabbit or rabbits for pictures, saving you money on buying them and feeding them, but it seemed like you were still going to just buy other cute little babies and keep them until you no longer want them and them throw them away like yesterday's trash. I am not trying to be mean or harsh, but we can't keep taking them if you keep buying them when its nice for your business. Rabbits are social animals and do not do well with stress at all, and moving to two new homes with in months can even cause death. Not to mention this doe is very much pregnant, stress can cause her to either loss the litter or eat them at birth. I just need you to see that this is wrong, wrong on so many levels!

Another Note: Turning loose rabbits into the wild is ILLEGAL, and anyone that does it can be fined for up to $1000 per rabbit, if not more. You may think that is silly, but it has been done, cases seen before judges and people have been conviced.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/04/monmouth_county_man_fined_2k_f.html

Not to mention that turning a pet rabbit into the wild is a death sentence for the poor rabbit.

In the future if you feel the need to buy more cute little bunnies for pictures and then decide its not something you want to fool with, and need for them somewhere to go asap. You will need to take them to the shelter. Shelter rabbits only have a 5% chance at being adopted in county shelters around here, just more information I think you need. I know it seems bad to have this coming from a rabbit rescue, but I am only one small rescue and can't keep taking surrendered rabbits from you, when I have 9 counties we pull from, not counting other owner surrenders or stray rabbits."

One thing that came to mind (going off on a tangent here) but for her to keep rabbit food that long (one year to the next... even shorter duration is a risk) risks any future rabbits who eat the food with micotoxin poisioning (or something like that). Just thought I'd mention that in case you want to pass that along as well.

I don't wanna come off as a jerk, (but I'll play devil's advocate 4 a min) but If I had this sent to me I would say f-off to u, click delete and do what I want and never contact u again. Possibly in her mind she might think well no one will find out if I let them loose.

I know u r upset (and have every right 2 b) but I wud add something that could impact her lively hood a bit more. Like u have contacted "someone" about your business practices. Not as a threat, but being honest, and tell her who u have contacted. Maybe that would get her to listen more.

This is just my 2 cents worth...take it or leave it but plz know I am not trying to b mean, just my thoughts.

Latest posts

Back