Alternatives to Kale

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jellybeancooper

Reaction score
My bunnies love, love, love kale, but I've read that they shouldn't eat too much of it. I'm feeding them a variety of things. Spring greens are a favourite too, but they get sick of other things like rocket and celery. They look disappointed when I don't give them kale all of the time.

What are some good similar leafy things I can feed them? They seem to like basil as well. They like brocolli stems, but I can only eat so much brocolli, they can't have stems all the time! They hate cucumber, coriander and courgette.

Yes, I bought some last week and let them try a few leaves. It went down well. I was cautious with it because I wasn't sure how they would react to it. I may introduce a bit more into their diet.

I've just been on the phone to my Dad asking advice on what herbs I can grown. Will save me lots of trips to the supermarket. He a gardener rather than a rabbit person so was more suggesting things that would be easy to grow.

Red leaf and green leaf lettuce are good. (red leaf lettuce has 9 mg of calcium in 1 cup, romaine has 16 gm.....while kale has 101 gm per cup)

For garden growing, basil is very prolific and so is mint -- both can be fed daily.

I say if it doesn’t upset ur buns belly then you can include them along with other veggies on a daily basis or more often. :)

Hayley from 101 Rabbits (YouTube) give her buns kale everyday, she said there were new studies that say that info is outdated. My bunvet also OK’d my frend to feed her rabs kale daily.

https://petsmentor.com/rabbits/can-rabbits-eat-kale-and-their-stem/
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/pet...an-rabbits-eat-kale-including-curly-kale/amp/
Interesting articles that actually show how the subject of kale, calcium, oxolates and sludge are still in controversy.

The first article is more measured and explains that "there are a few things you need to know before you begin giving your furry friends this kale every day," and then goes on to note that the oxalic acid in kale is "associated with “tingling of the skin, and the mouth, " and that "Secondly, there are chances this veggie can cause stomach upsets and other digestive problems. This is not a problem of only kale but several other veggies. Your bunnies may suffer from diarrhea, bloating, constipation, gas among other issues. " It also states that these "oxalates can increase the chances of having kidney stones and reduce mineral absorption if the binding occurs in the gut ." It also suggests offering a variety of greens and to "try to reduce the number of those that have high oxalic content."

The second article is an editorial and takes more liberties stating, "Most people often wrongfully implicate kale saying it is high in oxalic acid (oxalates) and recommend that bunnies have sparingly " Then they misrepresent the House Rabbit Society, claiming it "shares similar sentiments on oxalate levels." This is actually what HRS states: "Please note that there is currently dispute within the scientific community regarding the levels of oxalates and goitrogens in kale. Many of our rescuers have fed kale daily, combined with other veggies, with no ill effects. Others have found that kale fed in large amounts on a daily basis may contribute to bladder sludge and other health issues. HRS encourages you to make your own decisions on how you feed kale to your rabbit based on this information, and when solid, undisputed research is found we will update this and other articles relating to feeding kale."

I think the key to take away from this is that variety is recommended. Kale's level of oxalates is in dispute, yet it is still rather high in calcium. So feeding it a couple times per week (or less) would seem more prudent than feeding it daily.

By feeding a variety of greens, rather than just one type in large quantities, there is less possibility of over-dosing on calcium or oxalates.

My friends bun (who is fussy as hell) seems to love kale, celery (loves the leaves) and loves Chinese broccoli - that's what she feeds them on a daily basis - she also has a herb garden of parsley and mint, which bun eats but not too thrilled about.

Fortunately mine isn't as fussy now - but I started with kale, celery and carrot tops when I just got her - those were the only 3 things she still ate while scared and I tried aloooot the first couple of weeks.

Yes my concern is that some one has been leaving some sludgy urine. I'm not sure which rabbit exactly. I know a bit of sludginess is expected, but I want to reduce the kale to see if that makes a difference.

Yes my concern is that some one has been leaving some sludgy urine. I'm not sure which rabbit exactly. I know a bit of sludginess is expected, but I want to reduce the kale to see if that makes a difference.
The kale is probably causing the sludge. I would remove the kale asap and see if it changes anything. If not, your rabbit will need to be taken to the vet.

Parsley has been a bit hit! I live in a block of flats in the city so dandelion is hard to come by.
That is great that they love parsley. Parsley helps with bladder sludge so that is probably another reason why their pee is looking great!

Actually, parsley is still somewhat high in calcium. :oops: It has 83 mg per cup (kale has 101mg).
Might want to check the list at the end of the following page. It shows which greens are better fed just occasionally (like kale and parsley) and which ones are good for daily.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html

Found this useful list:
Type of Fresh Food Amount of Calcium per 100g
Apple 6mg
Basil 177mg
Bok Choy 105mg
Broccoli 47mg
Cabbage 40mg
Carrot 33mg
Cauliflower 22mg
Celery 40mg
Chicory 100mg
Cilantro/Coriander 67mg
Kale 150mg
Parsnip 36mg
Romaine Lettuce 33mg
Collard greens* 232mg
Sweet pepper 10mg
Watercress 120mg

How to Reduce Calcium in Your Rabbit's Diet — Rabbit Care Tips

*Greens of that same family are sold in the UK as collards, collard greens, spring greens, tree kale, cavolo riccio

Back