Aloe Vera for Dry Skin?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bagelsmommy,

Dry skin can be a sign of mites. Is it flaky? Looks like dandruff?

At least three ivermectin pea-sized amount on the forepaws where theycan lick it off at 7 to 10 day intervals three times would help clearof any bugs. Be sure not to overdose. It's important tofinish the course of treatment even if the condition seems to havedisappeared. Although ivermectin isn't licensed for use in rabbits, ithas been widely used for a number of years without any reportedproblems.

If it is dry skin, there is an oatmeal shampoo that is made forrabbits.Should you decide to go that route, thewater should be lukewarm and best not to get the rabbit's head wet atall. Youhave to be careful when bathing the littleone because theyare verysensitive when it comestohot/coldchanges. Although I don'tnormally say shampoo them, if the problem persists, it's an option.

Aloe vera would be pretty messy.

-Carolyn

So, where do I get this stuff? From myvet? I am thinking of making an appointment. Now, I am a bitworried. However, as far as the Aloe, goes, what type is goodfor bunnies? A gel? a cream? a vet product? We have also hada lot of baking soda on the carpet because of pet soiling (notnecessarily bunny related), which I wondered if this caused the dryskin in the first place. It is only in one spot in the house,but it is where she "hangs out" a lot.

Back