Allergies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolew07

Reaction score
So here is the deal. I have really bad allergies and I have had Tennent since February. I have tried taking zertec, I have tried changing his bedding and cleaning his room more often. He loves sitting on my chest when I get him out so he tends to be right by my face when I do have him out. Is there anything else I can try to help my allergies? I would hate to have to give him up because of my allergies but they are so bad I don't know if I can handle it anymore :(
Any ideas are appreciated!

I suggested Bee Pollen on another thread. It's completely natural and doesn't have the side effects that the medications have. I order it online because its cheaper than buying it at the health food store.

I suggested Bee Pollen on another thread. It's completely natural and doesn't have the side effects that the medications have. I order it online because its cheaper than buying it at the health food store.

Please be aware that "completely natural" ≠ safe. People (like me) who are anaphylactically allergic to bee stings, wasp stings, hornet stings, etc., are also allergic to bee pollen. Don't know why; probably a shared protein. I wasn't willing to prolong the experience/experiment for the sake of science, not at possible risk of my life. (I only placed four or five grains of pollen on my tongue and let them stay there for a minute or so.)

Other "completely natural" products folks might want to steer clear of include poison oak/ivy/sumac, curare, hemlock, deadly nightshade, belladonna, immature kukui nuts, uncooked potatoes/eggplant, rye ergot, etc. Basically, any pre-industrial poison/toxin was a natural product....

I ask a lot of questions when I look into a plant-based or otherwise "natural" product. Of course, I also ask a lot of questions when a doctor recommends a new medication! And I cannot afford, risk-wise, to undergo general anesthesia without speaking directly to the anesthesiologist. All three of them have changed their plans on what to use during surgery after speaking to me. I would've gone into anaphylactic shock on the table, and the remedy for it would've made things even worse.

I'm unclear on how bee pollen is supposed to help with an allergy to rabbit dander (if that's the allergen); what is the mechanism?

I would try other brands of allergy meds. For me, zyrtec works a charm, but anything else; clarityne and other brands don't. Also, even the so-called non-drowsy clarityne makes me drowsy.

Do you brush him often? That may help too if you're brushing him with something that holds the fur as opposed to when you're petting him and it goes flying off probably in your face. I know Bandit's fur flies everywhere.

Other "completely natural" products folks might want to steer clear of include poison oak/ivy/sumac, curare, hemlock, deadly nightshade, belladonna, immature kukui nuts, uncooked potatoes/eggplant, rye ergot, etc. Basically, any pre-industrial poison/toxin was a natural product....

I ask a lot of questions when I look into a plant-based or otherwise "natural" product. Of course, I also ask a lot of questions when a doctor recommends a new medication! And I cannot afford, risk-wise, to undergo general anesthesia without speaking directly to the anesthesiologist. All three of them have changed their plans on what to use during surgery after speaking to me. I would've gone into anaphylactic shock on the table, and the remedy for it would've made things even worse.

I'm unclear on how bee pollen is supposed to help with an allergy to rabbit dander (if that's the allergen); what is the mechanism?

They asked for possible solutions to your allergies without indicating an allergy to Bee Pollen supplement. So you got an answer.

I wasn't suggesting all natural things on this planet were safe so I'm not sure why you felt the need to mention poison ivy and such.

I am studying holistic nutrition so this is why I suggested Bee Pollen supplement. Other people suggested other medications. Maybe you are allergic to something in one of those medications but my comment raised your eyebrows.

If you want more information on Bee Pollen I suggest you research it, there's is plenty of info on it:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. What brand of bee pollen have you used and where do you order it from? I might give it a try as I am also not fond of taking all sorts of medicine that isn't needed. It also seems like I can be on a allergy medicine and after a month its like my body has just gotten use to it and it stops working for me. I don't really brush him as he doesn't shed too much. Do air filters seem to help at all?

The girls have allergies. They take zyrtec which their doc suggested. It does seem to help but not all the time. One is allergic to cats. She can pet them and be fine but then when the one rubbed against her face it started to swell. Benadryl took care of that. The zyrtec wouldn't have helped with the swelling so it may also depend on the symptoms you have.

You may need to try different products as one may work for you where another does not. Also, you may want to give a new medication time to work. The girls are not on zyrtec all year and it seems that once they start showing symptoms and we start giving them the zyrtec that it takes some time for the full affects of the medication to kick in.

When I have access to decent healthcare (rarely), my allergy med of choice is Flonase. It's the only thing that's ever helped my indoor allergies. I take Claritin too, every day, even though I'm pretty sure it's designed just to get my hopes up.

Is there anything else I can try to help my allergies? I would hate to have to give him up because of my allergies but they are so bad I don't know if I can handle it anymore :(

I agree with a lot of what was already posted, such as try different things to see what helps. I do agree also that it takes some time for the allergy pill to work. So if you try a different medication give it a few weeks to a month before switching again.

Some other little things I thought of that weren't mentioned. Do you wash your hands after handling petting him? It can make a huge difference after, we are human and have the tendency to rub our eyes, nose, face. Another thing I know you stated he sits on your chest, you could try changing your clothes after. Kinda the same idea as above, touch your shirt, then your face and the allergen is introduced to your eyes/nose/mouth.

Is he allowed in your bedroom? Because this made a huge difference with my husband and his allergies with the dog. Since you spend quite a lot of time in there sleeping, it can help to keep it a "safe" zone. Somewhere your body can sort of recover and get cleared up.

I know this won't get rid of your allergies but it can sure help a lot!

Thanks guys. What brand of bee pollen have you used and where do you order it from? I might give it a try as I am also not fond of taking all sorts of medicine that isn't needed. It also seems like I can be on a allergy medicine and after a month its like my body has just gotten use to it and it stops working for me. I don't really brush him as he doesn't shed too much. Do air filters seem to help at all?

I have two Bionaire air purifiers in my home and they have really helped a lot. Myself and my husband suffered from dander and hayfever allergies and they have been greatly reduced because of them.

The Bee Pollen that I have was actually purchased for my cat originally because she used to scratch the fur off her face and ears every spring/summer. I ordered her Bee Pollen from Holistic Blends from Nutraways online, it's out of Vancouver, Canada. As long as it says in the label 100% pure Bee Pollen and its from a reputable supplement company. Not sure what brands are available to you. You will see some people trying to debunk Bee Pollen but my cat stopped scratching her fur off after I started her on it so I think it works.

The other nice thing about it is it contains many essential nutrients that help to raise the immune system. It appears to be like a superfood.

Latest posts

Back