Allergic to Timothy Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess_sully

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm allergic to Timothy hay. I knew I have been since last spring when I got allergy tested. I wanted to try to use it anyways, for Flynn's sake, but since Flynn lives in my room, the hay really gets to me. I even have an air filter right in front of his cage!
I'm allergic to a lot of grasses, actually (and just a LOT of things in general) but I know there are other types of hay out there... anyone have any suggestions for a low-dust, low-odor hay that I could try?
I've been giving Flynn unlimited timothy hay cubes, but he carries them around his crate and leaves a coating of green dust everywhere. He also has a litterbox outside of his cage with hay (I put just a little bit in at a time), but he doesn't have any hay in his crate.
We just switched him to timothy pellets three days ago, versus the alfalfa ones he was eating before. I don't know if that will help or not?
I want to make sure he's getting enough fiber! Any suggestions?

I don't think any other hays are less dusty, unfortunately. Orchard doesn't smell as "herbally" to me, and oat carries less dust on it but is often in smaller pieces so it causes problems too. I think you should try several kinds, because if you can't give timmy, which is the all-purpose hay, you should be giving several different kinds of hay (really should be giving several kinds of hay anyway). However, no alfalfa. Maybe try orchard and oat?

I am also allergic to Timothy Hay. I found that Orchard Grass and Botanical Hay from Oxbow does not make me as miserable as any of the others.

t.

Back