Allergic to Lionheads but not others

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I have hollands, rex, harlequin and 2 lionheads. I am allergic to the lionheads but the other don't bother me. Is this possible? And is there anyone in the York County area in Pennsylvania that would be interested in these rabbits? They are both only a couple months old.
Thanks!

hmmm i dont know really, but i do have a friend who is allergic to my bunny but she used to have a bunny but never had a reaction to it? it could have something to do with the types of fur?

I read somewhere online before I got my bun (I'm REALLY allergic to cats and dogs so I looked into it a lot) that sometimes people will be allergic to one type but not another. For example, rex are supposed to be the most anti-allergy (but not hypoallergenic), and some people who aren't allergic to any rabbits will have a bad reaction to the rex's.
Not too sure why it happens... but like I said cats and dogs are bad for me (we've always had poodles growing up.) But Buster has been perfectly fine for me! Think it might be the different types of hair/fur/saliva/dander, etc. each type has.

It very well could be the wool. I had a youth a few years back that was allergic to normal fur, she could handle the rex coats and the wool breeds no problems.
But like me she had hay fever too and stays on allergy medicine- and she is taking a stronger dose on show days.

I have Holland Lops and Jersey Woolies. They don't bother me normally, but when I am handling kits out of a nestbox (with all that loose fur), I start sneezing and get itchy, watery eyes. If the fur is on their bodies, no problem! But otherwise, it bothers me. :p

I read that if allergic, what humans are allergic too is most usually the enzymes in a rabbits saliva. It is not their fur. So breed of bunny is not relevant if this is the case. But of course rabbits lick themselves so any fur you come in contact with could set off a reaction.

The most common allergic reaction comes from their hay. Could this be the case?

Latest posts

Back