Allergic To Hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratmom

Reaction score
Does this sound like my bun is allergic to his hay. He makes these sneezing type hacking noises, I'm not sure how to explain it my hubby tells me it sounds like a cat hacking up a hair ball. It seemed to happen more since I switched him to the oxbow timothy hay which he loves by the way. No runny nose,but his eyes on occasion will be wet in the corners. Not sure what hay to try with him next.

Hmm, I wouldn't think he's allergic to hay. I think sometimes rabbits make funny noises but I'm not sure. I'm sure someone else will be more helpful :) Good luck!

Bo has allergies to alfalfa hay and hay dust. I have to shake out or sift his hay before giving it to him and he has no issues with Timothy really other than dusty hay.

He could also be honking to let you know how much he loves his hay. Does he really go for it when you give it to him? Is it only when you feed him hay? have you tried NOT feeding him loose hay for a day or two? (could you get some timothy cubes?) or just hand feeding him strands for a day to see what happens? I know it's not the easiest method, but it would be something to try.

Also, is there anything you are using at the same time? like washing his dishes in a certain soap? or changing a blanket?

We keep his hay in one of those bird wire feeders and it hangs in his cage, but I wonder since it's hanging if maybe that dust is going all over his cage. Since he sneezes too. I'm going to try and take the hay out and see what happens.

Try shaking the dust out of the hay before you give it to him. My Loki used to sometimes get runny eyes and clogged tear ducts from hay dust. Now I just shake it out outside the house before I bring it in.

Make sure there's no runny mucus or eyes just to be safe and sure it's not an upper respiratory infection.

Latest posts

Back