Alfalfa

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alfalfa is higher in protein and calcium than grass hays. Generally it's considered good for growing rabbits or pregnant or lactating does but not for mature pet rabbits who don't need the extra nutrients. I occasionally give a few strands to my rabbits as a treat.

K, so hay is better then? That's what I thought
But wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Glad I didn't buy any. I did get hay that has
Dried peices of mango in it to see if be would
Eat that better. It does NOT have many peices of dried mango
It that I can just not give its not ok for him. It's dried peices and like
I said I can pick them out.

I've read that mango can give rabbits diarrhea. The problem you might have is Thumps may just start picking out the pieces of mango and eating those and leaving the hay. I would recommend picking them out, but you could probably still give him a tiny piece to see how he does.

That is true. Guess i didnt think of that. I tried giving him a piece
and he LOVED it. I did NOT
see many pieces of mango in he hay. So don't
Think I have much to worry about. Thought it was mango
Flavored at first but I was wrong. :( thought maybe if so
He would have eaten it better. We will see.

What is the base in your pellets?

I know that yours are still intact and reproducing. Intact rabbits have higher nutritional requirements than altered rabbits. Ours have an alfalfa based pellet and get horse quality coastal hay

What is the base in your pellets?

I know that yours are still intact and reproducing. Intact rabbits have higher nutritional requirements than altered rabbits. Ours have an alfalfa based pellet and get horse quality coastal hay

I'm not sure what the base is. It didn't
Say on the bag. We don't give the horse hay,
Just the regular Timothy hay. Thumps was
Getting the Alfalfa but switched him to Timothy
Hay.

The pellets will tell you what the base is by the first ingredient. Ours has alfalfa as the first ingredient which means it is the base

Dont feed your rabbit alfalfa.
It is bad for your rabbit.:bunnydance:

Like as the pellets as a base in them
Or the actual alfalfa? I have been told
That its not good for them as adult rabbits.
Thumps was on alfalfa prior of getting him.
I DID switch him to Timothy hay looking
To change to wheat barley oat mix.

Dont feed your rabbit alfalfa.
It is bad for your rabbit.:bunnydance:

That's not always true. For altered pet rabbits then you would normally not feed alfalfa. Young, growing rabbits need it either in the pellets or as hay. If you have unaltered rabbits, well, it depends.

That's not always true. For altered pet rabbits then you would normally not feed alfalfa. Young, growing rabbits need it either in the pellets or as hay. If you have unaltered rabbits, well, it depends.

OK, sooo it is or is not ok to give
Rabbits alfalfa if they r INTACTED?
I was told not to give awhile lot.
Someone on here said alfalfa based pellets
Is ok! So it ok or not? Any alfalfa or just
The actual alfalfa?

OK, sooo it is or is not ok to give
Rabbits alfalfa if they r INTACTED?
I was told not to give awhile lot.
Someone on here said alfalfa based pellets
Is ok! So it ok or not? Any alfalfa or just
The actual alfalfa?

You're always going to have a difference of opinion on many things. For intact rabbits who are for show, breeding, agility etc..then an alfalfa based pellet is okay. If your rabbit is intact and a pet then a timothy based pellet is better. I wouldn't normally feed alfalfa hay to an adult unless they need to gain weight and even then I wouldn't feed very much. In general, any grass hay would be better.

If you can tell us the exact name of the pellets you're feeding then we can look it up and see whether it's alfalfa or timothy based.

You're always going to have a difference of opinion on many things. For intact rabbits who are for show, breeding, agility etc..then an alfalfa based pellet is okay. If your rabbit is intact and a pet then a timothy based pellet is better. I wouldn't normally feed alfalfa hay to an adult unless they need to gain weight and even then I wouldn't feed very much. In general, any grass hay would be better.

If you can tell us the exact name of the pellets you're feeding then we can look it up and see whether it's alfalfa or timothy based.

Small world pellets is what I'm feeding.

Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal is the base ingredient. However, I know there are others on here who feed Small World to their rabbits. I haven't heard them say anything bad. Maybe one of them will weigh in.

Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal is the base ingredient. However, I know there are others on here who feed Small World to their rabbits. I haven't heard them say anything bad. Maybe one of them will weigh in.

Thanks. As I have stated in feeding
Small works pellets. However to switch
I would have to wait to switch him ( as he
Has a stomach upset right now) poo is
Irregular. Have another post created for this issue.
So I'm going to keep feeing the pellets that
I have and then switch once Thumps
Gets over his gut issue.

I feed Small World pellets, I've never had an issue with them. I know whats going on on the other thread, but I wanted to chime in here and say that I do feed that pellet and its a fine pellet.
I wouldn't worry too much with switching the actual pellet, but just lessening the amount that you're feeding. I think you said that you're going down to 1/4 cup a day and thats a good amount to feed.
I feed about 1/2 cup daily of pellets, which is about 1/4 cup too many and unlimited timothy hay. So its an alfalfa based pellet paired with a grass hay.
I would stick to the timothy hay. Or other grass hays like, coastal or broome. Whichever is easier to find in your area.

Oat hay is a different kind of hay. It has the actual oats at the ends of the strands. If you're feeding pellets, then you don't need to give the rabbit the oats on the ends. Its unnecessary carbs. You could give the oat hay without the oat tops, by pulling the oats off. Or you could only give the oat hay as a treat. But if you choose to give the oat hay, then I would suggest mixing it with the timothy hay and giving two types of hay.

I feed Small World pellets, I've never had an issue with them. I know whats going on on the other thread, but I wanted to chime in here and say that I do feed that pellet and its a fine pellet.
I wouldn't worry too much with switching the actual pellet, but just lessening the amount that you're feeding. I think you said that you're going down to 1/4 cup a day and thats a good amount to feed.
I feed about 1/2 cup daily of pellets, which is about 1/4 cup too many and unlimited timothy hay. So its an alfalfa based pellet paired with a grass hay.
I would stick to the timothy hay. Or other grass hays like, coastal or broome. Whichever is easier to find in your area.

Oat hay is a different kind of hay. It has the actual oats at the ends of the strands. If you're feeding pellets, then you don't need to give the rabbit the oats on the ends. Its unnecessary carbs. You could give the oat hay without the oat tops, by pulling the oats off. Or you could only give the oat hay as a treat. But if you choose to give the oat hay, then I would suggest mixing it with the timothy hay and giving two types of hay.

Ok, think I will just leave Thumps on the
Timothy hay. The hay I was thinking was a
Wheat oat and barley mix.

I'm waiting to see but asked if I should
B doing 1/4 ONCE a day or TWICE a day. Waiting on the other
Thread. I was ( all along) doing the 1/4 switched
Yesterday (only) to the 2/4 not knowing. So
Took out the 1/4 out.

Back