Alfalfa

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Average rule of thumb for feed is 1 ounce per pound of rabbit. My four pound holland lops get 1/2 cup a day. (This is from the breeder perspective meaning that my rabbits do not get veggies in their day to day diet, only as a treat, so the pellet is important to keep them at a healthy weight) However if you give veggies, I dont know the ratio of pellets.

It may not have anything to do with weight.
High protein and high calcium in alfalfa fed over time to a rabbit that doesn't need it can lead to internal issues like Kidney problems or Bladder sludge.
Those aren't things you can see from the outside of your rabbit until its too late.

It may not have anything to do with weight.
High protein and high calcium in alfalfa fed over time to a rabbit that doesn't need it can lead to internal issues like Kidney problems or Bladder sludge.
Those aren't things you can see from the outside of your rabbit until its too late.

Hmm, never was told that. Was told
That small world was OK to give I my bun
Age unknown as he is a rescue.

Hmm, never was told that. Was told
That small world was OK to give I my bun
Age unknown as he is a rescue.

I mentioned earlier that you will get differing opinions...your Dutch is not overweight and is intact, but if he isn't getting much exercise then the 16% protein in Small World pellets may be more than he needs. Most pet rabbits get a lower protein pellet, like 14%, partially because they're fixed. Also, if you're feeding (or going to be feeding) veggies as part of his diet then you won't be feedng him as many pellets anyway. Listen to everyone's views and decide, based on your situation, what works best for you.

Here is what I recommend:
"If you are getting food from a store just make sure it doesn't have those colorful bits and pieces as those are unhealthy for your rabbit. In addition check the feed tag, this is the proper percentage your feed should have; Protein- 14--20% ideal amount 16-18%, Fiber- 12--22%, sources say the higher the better, around 18% is ideal, Calcium- less than 1%, Fat in your feed should not exceed 3%. Your rabbit needs to have an unlimited amount of hay all the time because it is more at risk for a wool blockage. For my Lionheads I use timothy hay as it helps keep the digestive system moving and helps prevent wool blockages. If your not feeding vegetables just the pellets and hay (and the occasional treat of course ) the rule of thumb is 1 ounce of food per pound of your rabbit. If you have a 4 pound rabbit you should feed 1/2 cup of feed. If you can try to go to an actual grain store for your rabbit and purchase a bag of food like manna pro, kent, purina,ect., and just store the excess food in an airlock container. Also with the hay dont feed alfalfa as your rabbits over 6 months of age. feeding alfalfa to your rabbit, increases the risk of urinary tract problems and can also be too rich for the digestive system."

This is what I sent to a 4Her in my group when she was asking about the food. This should have all the information you need to know about feeding, sorry if it sounds weird, like I said it was a message that i just copied and pasted into here.

I mentioned earlier that you will get differing opinions...your Dutch is not overweight and is intact, but if he isn't getting much exercise then the 16% protein in Small World pellets may be more than he needs. Most pet rabbits get a lower protein pellet, like 14%, partially because they're fixed. Also, if you're feeding (or going to be feeding) veggies as part of his diet then you won't be feedng him as many pellets anyway. Listen to everyone's views and decide, based on your situation, what works best for you.

He gets the exercise as he needs outside
Of his cage. Sooo confusing. Yes I mentioned he
Is getting alfalfa hey based plus veggies and hay
Of course.

IF SOMEONE IS FEEDING VEGGIES AND PELLETS (1/4 c) is what I'AM FEEDIG
RIGHT NOW. WHAT SHOULD B THE AMOUNT OF PELLETS? Still
1/4 c or less???? Think it was mentioned to do LESS IF A BUN IS
FED VEGGIES AND PELLETS.

yes you wouldnt not want to feed 1/2 cup to a 4 pound dutch that is also getting a supply a vegetables you will just have to do trial and error. Feed him 1/4 c if he seems to be getting overweight decreases the amount of pellets is varies from rabbit to rabbit with how much they need.

http://rabbit.org/faq-diet/

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

These are both good sources for diet. You have to do what you're comfortable with. We've all given you good, solid advice from our personal experiences and I feel like you're not really reading it or hearing it.
What you do need to understand though is, diet is a touchy subject with rabbit owners. We all feed different things, different amounts, different pellets, hay, veggies, fruits. We can never fully agree on the types of hay that should be fed to different aged rabbits or the hay based pellets that should be fed. So we can all give you advice and what we feed or what we think is right, but ultimately what you feed is up to you and up to what your rabbit will eat and be able to eat.

I personally have a Dutch rabbit who is 9 months old. I feed her about 1/2 cup daily of pellets, Small World pellets which are alfalfa based pellets. I also feed her unlimited timothy hay and different types of greens and herbs. She gets some fresh fruit here and there, she also gets fresh fruit. But that is MY rabbit, your rabbit may not be able to have the same things mine can. Also, here is a list of rabbit safe foods-fruits, veggies and herbs. http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/quick-list-rabbit-safe-foods-49434/

yes you wouldnt not want to feed 1/2 cup to a 4 pound dutch that is also getting a supply a vegetables you will just have to do trial and error. Feed him 1/4 c if he seems to be getting overweight decreases the amount of pellets is varies from rabbit to rabbit with how much they need.

He has always been ( since I have had him)
On a 1/4 c of pellets

Latest posts

Back