alfalfa hay as a 'treat'

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopDoll

Reaction score
So yesterday I get a text from my brother asking if alfalfa is ok to feed a rabbit. I replied 'Yes, why?' and about half an hour later he's on my porch with a small bale of alfalfa from the tractor supply store! I say 'small' but really it was a 50 lbs 24x16x12 inch bale (smaller than the bales of timothy hay I get from the local farmer). I didn't want to tell him that they wouldn't be able to scarf that down like they usually do with timothy or that it could only be fed as a treat, etc., so I just thanked him and saw him off.

My question is just how much would a 'treat' necessarily be? I have one 2.5 year old 4-4.5 lbs mini rex and a havana that's just under 1 yr old and might be about 5 lbs (slightly heavier than my other girl).

A few pieces of hay a day would be about all you can give adults. Maybe a small palm full a couple times a week.

You could package it into smaller bags and sell it, or donate it to a rabbit rescue. Even a horse rescue might use it.

Latest posts

Back