alfalfa for young rabbits (URGENT!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello guys, my cousin got a rescue rabbit
They say that she’s one month old, I’m not sure and she looks a bit bigger than that, the person who had her before used to feed her only pellets and veggies!
She has never eaten alfalfa, can we give it to her in unlimited amounts right away? or should we give it to her gradually so she can get used to it?
Also do they eat anything other than alfalfa?

If you give her alfalfa based pellets you really don’t need to give her alfalfa hay also. If you know what she was being fed you need to continue that and slowly transition her to anything new. Sudden diet changes in young rabbits can cause gut issues.

You could give her a mixture of Timothy hay and alfalfa hay. In the mix give her a bit more alfalfa than Timothy because she still sounds young. You can also feed her veggies like baby spring mix. However, only give her about a 1/4-1/8 cup of pellets. Hope this helped

As long as the bunnies previous diet wasn't causing health issues or poop issues, it's always best to keep a new rabbit, especially a baby one, on the same food and diet they were used to for the first couple of weeks in their new home. And don't limit the pellets for baby rabbits as long as it isn't causing mushy poop problems.

Changes of food can be stressful for rabbits, especially baby ones. It's not good to be changing the food of a recently weaned baby rabbit unless the food it is getting is making the baby sick and/or causing it to have digestive problems. The owner should stick with the exact same brand and type of pellets and the same veggies the baby is already used to eating. Then after the baby has settled in after a few weeks, if they want to change the pellet type/brand, that can be done gradually over 2-4 weeks time while gradually increasing the new pellets while decreasing the old. New veggies can be then tried after the pellets have been switched, starting with one new veggie at a time and gradually increasing if it doesn't cause digestive upset.

Also with alfalfa hay, some rabbits and baby ones, can be sensitive to it suddenly being introduced into their diet, so it's better for them to gradually introduce it into the diet if it's even needed. Like majorv said, if a good alfalfa based pellet is being fed, alfalfa hay isn't necessary and can make the diet too rich and high in protein, more than is needed. A good quality grass hay(no mold, no noxious weeds, not dusty) would be better when a good alfalfa based pellet is already being fed, and grass hays can almost always be given right away to all age of rabbits and in unlimited amounts without causing any digestive issues.

Okay so.. I went to their place to see if they need any help with the rabbit, she never looked stressed even when she had just arrived, and she did alot of binkies and sat on our laps, but I noticed that she was drinking alot! Like.. I only stayed there for an hour or two and she had peed twice, is it normal for them to drink alot? she would jump a little, drink, jump more, drink more..
And her poops are very small

Latest posts

Back