Alfalfa cubes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alfalfa is high in fat, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong?). I would limit them if you can. I kept giving my old foster-bun alfalfa cubes even after she was six months old. I only gave her one a week, because they can be fattening.

I would think that you would feed them less, then. I am not sure, I'm not a breeder/rabbit show person, but that's what I think. :) Show animals tend to be less-spoiled than house rabbits, in my opinion. You could want to restrict their diet so that they don't get too big, but with giants, the weight class doesn't have a maximum weight, to my knowledge.

The calcium can be a problem, though. It can cause bladder sludge or stones. Not a pretty vet bill!

Yeah isnt a maximum weight restriction for Flemish Giants. My show rabbits are very spoiled with love and attenton:). Im learning that this is a common misconception about rabbit breeders.:?

All the breeders I've met meet the basic needs of their rabbits and play with them a little. I'm not saying they ignore them, but they don't get as much one-on-one time as house rabbits. :) I don't doubt that your buns are well taken care of!

Not all rabbit breeders are monsters. I love all of my rabbits and give them tons of attention. It just seems like everywhereI go, as soon as someone finds out I breed and show rabbits i'm made to feel like a monster. Im not mad at you or really offended, thats just a tender spot for me.:?

Your not a monster to me, don't worry! Backyard breeders (the ones who shouldn't be breeding, themselves) are the ones that bother me. If there were no breeders, there would not be any good buns! ;)

I know what you mean. sometimes you run into those kind of people that really shouldnt be breeding animals at shows. They make you get a knot in your stomach. For me it isnt about the money, its about having fun and producing good quality animals. For me it feels like im carrying on a hundred year old tradition. Sadly..there are people that just want to mass produce, dont care about the quality, and just want to make the money...people like that anger me because they give good breeders like myself and others a bad name and leave a bad taste on peoples tongues.

My friend said that I should feed timothy hay, and she thinks I can get them in cube form. hopefully I can find it in 50lb bags.

Hi!

Alfalfa cubes are fine treats, but I wouldn't feed them regularly unless your buns are still growing. It's not so much fat but protein, and it can put on extra weight. How old are they and what is the rest of their diet? I know Flemmies are supposed to grow for something like 1.5 years.

It's probably best to feed grass hay such as timothy in addition to whatever pellets or veggies you feed them. I personally am not a big fan of using hay cubes in place of full strand hay because it seems like the rabbits wouldn't have to chewblocks as much with their molars. Is there a reason you want to use cubes instead of normal hay?

Also keep in mind that because of their size, Flemmies are prone to sore hocks so their weight should be monitored. Fat rabbits= more problems, not to mention it looks bad on the show table.:)

You can also get timothy cubes. They are a big favorite of my rabbits. I would feed those instead of the alfalfa cubes.

There really isnt a reason why I chose cubes over normal hay. I havent even bought either yet. I guess I can just buy a bale of timothy.

My ages of my Flemish Giants are 6 months, 10 months, 1 year.

I know that flabby giants dont look good on that table,I had that problem with an older doe when I showed when I was younger. she had gotten flabby with age.

I guess I can just buy a bale of timothy.

Wait, do you mean that you haven't bought hay cubes yet, or that you haven't bought any hay at all yet? Hay is VERY important to a rabbit's diet. Flemish actually do better with a mostly hay diet, and only a small amount of pellets. In my own experience, Flemish gain fat more easily than other breeds of rabbit, because they are so calm, sometimeseven somewhat inactive. And you are right, a flabby Flemish does not look good on a show table, I have seen pickier judges disquailify for that.

We use them for the goat and horses sometimes so I have them on hand, but I only give them to the bunnies if we are going to be gone all day, we run short of hay, or just as a treat.

I haven't bought the hay cubes. It was just a consideration. Of course I have hay and straw for them to nibble on. I was just wondering if it would benefit them to add cubes to their diet whether it be alfalfa or timothy. I just wanted opinions and I feel like i'm being treated like i'm dumb and neglectful. I haven't had rabbits in 5 years, but before then I had them for 8 years. I'm just looking into trying new things to benefit my animals.

I'm starting to regret posting this topic at all, I feel like im being attacked from numerous directions.

Latest posts

Back