Alfalfa ca Timothy hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kporcella

Reaction score
Hello! I am looking for some confirmation, I have been looking and cannot find a direct answer. What is better for a 6 week old bunny (I only took her because the seller would not hold for 8 weeks), alfalfa or Timothy hay. I have tried googling it and there’s conflicting information.

I will always feed my bunnies timothy hay and just have alfalfa based pellets if they are kits. Because it can sometimes be a few bunnies that will get too much calcium with both alfalfa pellets and hay, which can cause sludge in the urine. It can also be hard going from alfalfa hay to timothy hay, because alfalfa hay is more yummy than timothy hay. So I just skip the alfalfa hay and go with the hay my bunnies will always have ☺️

But everyone have different opinion on how they want to do it.

I agree, free fed timothy hay(or other grass hay) that isn't too coarse, then an alfalfa based pellet. No need to be feeding alfalfa hay and an alfalfa based pellet. Just leads to an overly picky bunny and can lead to cecal problems from the excess protein, and sometimes urinary problems from the excess calcium. It's also a good idea to monitor body condition.

I agree too with both above. It used to be standard to recommend alfalfa (both pellets and hay) for rabbits under 6 months of age. So you may still see that recommendation floating around the web. But care advice continues to evolve over the years as more is learned about rabbits as pets (as opposed to meat).

Alfalfa is rich and alfalfa-based pellets are great for a growing bunny. But alfalfa hay along with alfalfa pellets isn't necessary. Once adult, some rabbits will resist switching from alfalfa hay to timothy (or other grass) hay. By feeding a grass hay now, you won't have to worry about transitioning later.

To some extent the cuts determine the coarseness but not entirely. It's more to do with how long the grass is allowed to grow before it's cut. A more mature growth will be coarser. Often a first cut will be this way. A medium growth will have a mix of leaf and stem. Second cut is usually like this. An early growth will be leafier. And this is what a third cut usually is. But even though each cut is usually a certain growth, it can vary so you have to check to make sure the quality is what you want. I like a medium coarse timothy hay that is a mix of leaf and early growth stems (smaller stems), and this is often the second cut.

So for coarseness, this is where the 1st cut, 2cnd cut, 3rd cut comes into play, correct? With 1st cut being the softest?
Here's a good article from the House Rabbit Society discussing hay cuts and also things like forage quality and the digestibility factor-- in case you'd like to see even more detail than Jenny provided.
https://rabbit.org/hay-in-your-bunnys-diet/

Latest posts

Back