Akira and Rusty

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty

Reaction score
They are living in the same cage but separated. Rusty lives in the top bunk and Akira lives in the bottom bunk. They can only see each other if Akira climbs the ramp and Rusty sits on top of the square mesh that separates them. Now I know I'm not supposed to put them together but when I did they kind of put their heads down and Akira was pushing her head underneath Rusty's. Then all of a sudden she grunted and then Rusty bit her.... What exactly does that mean if they are okay together and then all of a sudden Akira grunts?

It's been about a week since her spay and she hasn't been marking anything with her chin anymore, and she just runs laps when she's out, jumps on things and everything. I figured she would get more hurt from jumping around like a crazy rabbit than if I prevented any fight between the two... Any ideas on what I should do with the two of them regarding bonding? Any suggestions would be great thanks.

You probably should not be letting her run really wild after only a week after the spay.
Akira putting her head under Rusty's would mean that she is asking him to groom her. it sounds like they really don't trust each other yet.

I would do everything possible to have them living side by side rather than one on top of the other. They would be come more familar with each other that way.

When you do put them together you need to go to an area of the house that is unfamilar to both rabbits (neutral territory)
Is Rusty neutered?

If not don't allow him to mount her this soon after her spay ..she could be injured internally from it.

He was neutered when he was 6 months old and he's almost three now. At first I didn't let her get out much incase she got injured but she just wouldn't stop running and jumping off the wall of the cage and trying to climb it. When she's out she runs around and then lays down. I never let her out without me being close to her and I try to calm her down whenever she decides to get crazy.

I don't know how I would be able to house them side by side when the cage is on 4 legs that are3 feet off the ground.Is there a reason why she grunts first and then fights? How much longer should I wait before I try to bond them?

She probably still has her hormones, takes about a month for them to start going away and her calming down.

I'm in the middle of bonding my two - Pebbles and Georgie and they're still in the stage of trying to trust the other one. If one runs past, the other will lunge not knowing what's going on, and sometimes it will end there but sometimes it leads to something else. I have a similar thing, where my two will be presenting to each other to see who will groom (head down and together) then Pebbles will nip at Georgie to see how he reacts, he usually nips her straight back.

Try saying NO in a firm voice after Rusty bites her back. Have a spray bottle on hand and if things seem to be getting worse (nips turning into bites, turning into tussles) spray the aggressor in the face with a stream of water. Usually ends the feud and allows them time to settle down so they can groom themselves. Just be careful because if it turns into a full blown kicking - rolling in a ball fight, water will just make it worse.. that's when you come in with the broom to separate them!

I'd try in a month or so in the bathtub with a towel down, works as an excellent neutral area.

okay thanks Spring and angieluv.

One more question, does it really make a difference at the moment if one lives on top of the other?

They don't have to be side by side to bond but if they are they get very used to the other one's movements, sounds and habits. They often will lay next to each other with a fence or cage between. It's a way that 2 rabbits that don't trust each other can feel safe being together and yet not totally together.

But like I said they don't have to be side by side to bond :)

Rusty is peeing everywhere and pooping everywhere. Is he just doing that for territory? I make sure the litter box is available and it is always clean so I know it's not from that... any ideas?

I hope so cuz I don't to get in trouble cuz if my dad tells me they have to go, I will have to find a new place to live in... :(

Back