Airline Dilemma -- Beyond Stressed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklyyy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

In a week or two, I need to relocate across the country. I have two rabbits. They can't stand to be separated from one another, and because one is a recent shelter rescue, it's incredibly important that I do everything in my power to minimize their discomfort. I'm also a nervous wreck when it comes to the buns! It's just not an option for them to travel any other way than by my side.

Driving across the country would probably be a bad idea because of the time cooped up in the car. I figure a flight would be the least difficult method in terms of their comfort. However, as far as I know, Continental is the only airline servicing my flight path (Los Angeles area to Fort Lauderdale area to Philadelphia area), but they only accept one pet per passenger (except if the pets are small birds). They are firm with this policy as I have made numerous phone calls to higher ups in a few different departments. Other airlines will accept more than one pet per passenger (in the same carrier or more than one carrier), however, rabbits aren't permitted on board!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thank you for posting that link. However, I was unable to find specific, useful information for my particular situation. I'm hoping someone might have some ideas about how to work around this issue.

Unfortunately, you might have to look into them flying cargo...so they can stay together. Many bunnies have been flown cargo before, my own included. My rabbit hopped right out of his carrier and was playing in the bedroom.....after a flight from TX to AZ, then a 2 hour drive home.

United Airlines does allow 2 rabbits in the same carrier, but only as checked baggage. I am not sure if they fly where you are going. Clicky

I have found that most airlines that allow pets as carry on, only allow 1 per person.
One advantage of checking them is that you can use a larger crate and give them more room. They can also stay together.

If you are flying with someone, you could each take 1 bunny. If you sit beside each other, the buns would at least get to see and smell each other. Some airlines limit the number of animals in the cabin per flight.

I would recommend Westjet, but they don't fly where you are going.

I've had experience both on flying bunnies (one from NY to CA, one from PA to CA), and have now also had the experience of driving very long distance (more than 1700 miles, from CA to Canada)...and had no problem with either affecting my bunnies.

We had all four of ours in carriers in the back of the car with our two kitties (also in carriers, and w/the kitties crying their heads off), and the buns were just fine. Our drive took us three days total, with almost no stops...just enough to check to be sure they were fine, and replenish anything needed. They were able to travel with their water bottles because they're Water Buddies (thus, nothing huge sticking into the carrier, posing as a threat in case of quick stops)...but they didn't really eat or drink much...and were just fine afterward. We have one bun (Maisie) that's particular to tummy upsets in stress, and we didn't have a single problem with her. :)

In the Animal Cargo flight, using Continental both times, they also arrived just fine, and neither seemed stressed in the least. I love Continental in particular because their animal cargo areas are temperature-controlled, and pressurized. Not only that, but both times, despite what was said ahead-of-time, they let us put whatever we wanted in the carrier with the buns (hay, pellet food, toys, etc). :)

I really recommend doing it either way, honestly, now that we've experienced both.

Let me know if you'd like anymore information on either way! :)

Latest posts

Back