AI in rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
I somehow ended up browsing 'Artificial Insemination in Rabbits' the other day and I'm looking more into it again. The possibilities of AI in rabbits could be endless. Genetics from California, could, theoretically, be shipped all the way to New York. No need to bring your doe to the stud-the finished product is brought right to your door.

As storing of sperm improves, the genetics of Champion or highly valuable rabbits could be collected and stored. In the event of a death, or even a sickness leading to a decline in fertility, his genetics could still be passed on.

A vasectomized buck could (can, and is) used to induce ovulation. I find that such a method would be superior for the average rabbitry over using drugs to induce ovulation.

I find the whole idea of it to be VERY exciting and extremely interesting. What are your thoughts?

"average rabbitry over using drugs to induce ovulation"

This is what I don't understand about it. I have never heard of anyone using any kind of drug to induce ovulation in a doe. The way we "induce ovulation" is by putting a doe with a buck, letting him breed, and then bringing her back several hours later to breed again. Rabbits are induced ovulators by nature. The act of mating causes an egg to be realeased so that the next time they mate, the egg will be fertilized.

That too... I think the whole idea is just crazy. There is no reason for it in rabbits. It's not like dogs, cattle, goats, sheep or even cats.

The cost would be outrageous, and you could go buy a buck for a whole lot cheaper.

I agree, why would you go into all that expense when you can buy a buck for a whole lot cheaper.

Well, I agree with the cost being a crazy expense, but money aside, I think it would be too clinical. I would feel like my rabbits were lab rats, instead of the loved show/brood stock that they are.

It is also too stressful for the rabbits. It's different when you're talking cattle, sheep, goats, dogs or cats... Those animals are a lot more hardy than rabbits are.

Cattle, sheep, goats, dogs and cats aren't quite as readily available or as inexpensive to get a nice male in either... so, it makes sense.

In rabbits, it's just insane

I dont think it would be a bad idea especially with sudden deaths that happen. If I lost a nice buck that I wated to have kis out of and hadn't had the chance to breed him or found a doe after he died that he would hav been perfect wth wouldn't it be great to have his semen. With AI already being around for small animals I do not think that it would cost that much and if so It will eventally cost less than a buck would cost. But isn't that the piont, to have the best you must pay for it, the cost shouldn't matter when it comes to bettering your herd. Yes they could get stressed but would it realy be much worse than the stess when breeding. when you look at AI it is no different than a breeding the only dif is there is no buck. As for the teaser buck idea I think its great thats like using a teaser stud in horses. A teaer stud brings the mare into heat and a teaser buck would induce her ovulation. Cattle, dgs, cats, horses, etc may seem more hardy but have you worked with them,they are not as hardy as you think. they can bloat or get sick and die quite easily. And nice show/breeding stock are very hard to replace. rabbits as well I think anyway. the lines of a buck, the coloring, the pattern, the personality, the wins, they can'tbe replaced so why wouln't you want the semen on hand. yes semen tank cost but that really is going to be your bigest investment. Thats MO anyway I am going to go look it up cause this has been in my mind for a while now.

Crystal

TCRabbitry wrote:
That is crazy.... Why put out all the money to do that when you could buy a buck for less?

Actually, it doesn't seem all that expensive. I'm currently researching other things at the moment-coop heating and cages for my buns-but I'm pretty sure the cooling and freezing process isn't all that difficult either.

Look at it this way, lets pretend you breed Netherland Dwarfs. Theres an amazing buck up for stud in California, paired with your doe, you absolutely know that he'll produce kits so close to the Standard of Perfection it's not even funny. Only problem, you live in Virgina. Are you really going to drive ALL the way to CA for one amazing litter? Wouldn't it make more sense for the buck just to 'come to you'?

lelanatty wrote:
"average rabbitry over using drugs to induce ovulation"

This is what I don't understand about it. I have never heard of anyone using any kind of drug to induce ovulation in a doe. The way we "induce ovulation" is by putting a doe with a buck, letting him breed, and then bringing her back several hours later to breed again. Rabbits are induced ovulators by nature. The act of mating causes an egg to be realeased so that the next time they mate, the egg will be fertilized.

Actually, there are drugs out there (for rabbits) to induce ovulation. I just got through reading an article on how they collect from the buck, and they used the drug method over the vasectomized method. I had 'well, obviously for your average rabbitry the drug method would be obsolete...' running through my head when I typed up my post.

T.A Bunnies wrote:
I agree, why would you go into all that expense when you can buy a buck for a whole lot cheaper.

But you also run the risk that the buck will die, become sick, won't breed, or is even sterile. You could spend $500 on the bestest, greatest, most awesome buck ever and the second you bring him home he could all of a sudden contract severe snuffles and will never be able to breed.

Plus, studies have shown an increased fertilization rate with AI over 'natures way'.

mewlingcricket wrote:
Well, I agree with the cost being a crazy expense, but money aside, I think it would be too clinical. I would feel like my rabbits were lab rats, instead of the loved show/brood stock that they are.

I'm not talking about for your OWN rabbits :) That would be nuts, if you HAVE the buck and the doe, put them together!
What I mean if you'd like kits from an inaccessible buck. OR say a buck that would otherwise not be available to outside breedings due to the illnesses he could possibly contract. With AI, theres no need to worry, the doe never comes in contact with the buck and vice versa.

TCRabbitry wrote:
It is also too stressful for the rabbits. It's different when you're talking cattle, sheep, goats, dogs or cats... Those animals are a lot more hardy than rabbits are.

Cattle, sheep, goats, dogs and cats aren't quite as readily available or as inexpensive to get a nice male in either... so, it makes sense.

In rabbits, it's just insane

It's no more stressful then removing a buck or a doe from his or her cage and breeding them. The buck will honestly not know the difference to a live doe, or an artificial collection device. It's the same 'happy ending', if you will.
Same for the doe, the vasectomized buck induces her to ovulate (no more stressful then being bred by an 'intact' buck). But instead of passing on his genes, she'll be impregnated by a completely different rabbit. Again, the process would be no more stressful than trancing her out and clipping her nails. Or, checking her genitalia for signs of receptiveness.

Oh My Darlin Rabbitry wrote:
I dont think it would be a bad idea especially with sudden deaths that happen. If I lost a nice buck that I wated to have kis out of and hadn't had the chance to breed him or found a doe after he died that he would hav been perfect wth wouldn't it be great to have his semen.  With AI already being around for small animals I do not think that it would cost that much and if so It will eventally cost less than a buck would cost. But isn't that the piont, to have the best you must pay for it, the cost shouldn't matter when it comes to bettering your herd. Yes they could get stressed but would it realy be much worse than the stess when breeding. when you look at AI it is no different than a breeding the only dif is there is no buck. As for the teaser buck idea I think its great thats like using a teaser stud in horses. A teaer stud brings the mare into heat and a teaser buck would induce her ovulation. Cattle, dgs, cats, horses, etc may seem more hardy but have you worked with them,they are not as hardy as you think. they can bloat or get sick and die quite easily. And nice show/breeding stock are very hard to replace.  rabbits as well I think anyway. the lines of a buck, the coloring, the pattern, the personality, the wins, they can't be replaced so why wouln't you want the semen on hand. yes semen tank cost but that really is going to be your bigest investment. Thats MO anyway I am going to go look it up cause this has been in my mind for a while now.

Crystal

Agree'd. :biggrin2:

How are we crazy? They are breeding stock, are they not? The point of AI is to have access to a bull, a buck, a stud,etc that would otherwise be inaccesible. the point of this is tobe able to improve your herdwhere otherwise you would not be able to due to such things as possible disease spread, long milage, etc. so honestly I don't see how AI can be crazy but I guess I am a bit biased because I have seen such amazing results with cattle. and from what I have read they have had good results with AIing rabbits.

Here is a good site for AI in rabbits

http://ressources.ciheam.org/om/pdf/c08/95605282.pdf

TCRabbitry wrote:
Y'all are crazy. THEY'RE RABBITS!!!! Not anything that needs AI!
They are not crazy, they are just stating that AI is helpful in someways.

You are right they are rabbits. Rabbits are fairly fragile animals that can die on a moments notice.

I have a couple of bucks that I would store sperm from that are getting older.

You people are nuts. Rabbits are incredibly fragile. How would you feel if your buck that you were trying to "save" died during collection?

I'm sorry, but the idea is so stinkin stupid. They are RABBITS!!! There are PLENTY of them, and they are EASY to breed, well, most of the time.

AI for rabbits makes 0 sense.....

You obviously don't have a buck that you feel is worth collecting from or a line that you are proud of if you feel that they are that easy to replace.

There is nothing stressfull about collecting from a buck. He is just doing what comes naturally to him and the sperm is collected instead of in the doe.

T.A Bunnies wrote:
TCRabbitry wrote:
Y'all are crazy. THEY'RE RABBITS!!!! Not anything that needs AI!
They are not crazy, they are just stating that AI is helpful in someways.

Thank you! :biggrin:

I'm not saying that EVERY rabbitry across the nation should practice or use AI. I'm just saying that it seems extremely promising.

GREAT example: On the Backyard Chickens forum, a person posted pics of her new Creme D'Argent, another breeder commented on how she would like to breed them but can't find any stock thats NOT heavily inbred. She found another breeder in a different state, but thats where pretty much all of the rabbits in her state came from.

With AI, she could buy a pair of not-inbred does, or not as heavily inbred does, and breed them to a completely unrelated buck hundreds of miles away without a single worry :)

Phil Batty a UK judge is sending over rabbit seamen next year to improve our mini lop lines over here in New Zealand :)

I do have bucks that are worth using. They just replaced their sire. hmmm... that's quite the idea, preserving a sire through his sons.

AI doesn't make any sense in rabbits. You could loose the buck that you are collecting from, from collecting from him, then where would you be... Oh, and you could loose the doe during the procedure too... then you would have wasted all that money.... or, as also happens so frequently in rabbits, everything can go just fine, but the doe doesn't take....

Seems like too much work for something that most likely wont work, especially when it is cheaper to just go buy a good buck, either from the line you want to work for, or a better one....

Really people, these are rabbits....

TCRabbitry wrote:
I do have bucks that are worth using. They just replaced their sire. hmmm... that's quite the idea, preserving a sire through his sons.

AI doesn't make any sense in rabbits. You could loose the buck that you are collecting from, from collecting from him, then where would you be... Oh, and you could loose the doe during the procedure too... then you would have wasted all that money.... or, as also happens so frequently in rabbits, everything can go just fine, but the doe doesn't take....

Seems like too much work for something that most likely wont work, especially when it is cheaper to just go buy a good buck, either from the line you want to work for, or a better one....

Really people, these are rabbits....

i agree, this is kind of what i deleted last time.

It really isn't THAT much to get ahold of someone and get a rabbit from across country at convention. Theres people in ohio charging 10 dollars to pick up rabits at convention.

And maybe I'm a bit of a snob, but If I had a top of the line buck, I'm not going to be THAT willing to ship off his seman to everyone who wants it and thats not my name on those babies pedigrees. There are 2 people I would personally work with on that, and the two people who helped me LOTS getting with the harlies, I'd help them in anyway. Not just anyone who would want a peice of him.

Latest posts

Back